Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Another Video of my Clod... ;) The Resivoir With my new 55t's

Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Another Video of my Clod... ;) The Resivoir With my new 55t's

Old 02-13-2005, 11:14 PM
garynjr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Video of my Clod... ;) The Resivoir With my new 55t's

Hey all, So, made another vid today WOW!!! 55's made a huge difference. Much slower and controled and the battery lasted about an Hour or more crawling and then I drove it 6 blocks home! Unfortunately busted another servo clowning around on the way home!

Well, hope you like the new vid! It was a blast to film...

http://www.rcpics.net/img/50903
"New Link" They deleted my first post.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:29 PM
lilcurtis
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Another Video of my Clod... ;) The Resivoir With my new 55t's

i must admidt, watching those movies makes me want to get a crawler, but i cant afford to have a truck just dedicated to only crawling so for now the e-maxx will just have to due hehe. your vidoes make me laugh each time i see them because of the music. its like its just driving on a leisure day. get some heavier music and add some intensity to it!
Old 02-13-2005, 11:35 PM
garynjr

LOL!!! Thanks! Yeah, I stuggled with that one... I figured I'd be consistant! It's not really a loud type of thing you know... LOL... I was wondering if someone was going to say something like that...

I usually hear "Crawling" so I figured it's better then that right....
Old 02-14-2005, 12:00 AM
lilcurtis
My Feedback: (4)

dude playing Crawling by linkin Park would have been so funny. next one you should use Low rider hahaha. Oh and word to the wise, get rid of the cheesy titles during the video, i used to be an editor for a local TV station and i can honestly say those things don't help the film quality but other than that i think they are cool, been thinking of making my self some as soon as either the snow decides to melt, or decides to stay. because right not its like this horrible sluch that is worthless.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:03 AM
garynjr

Yeah, I debated the titles too. I don't usually do that but I got bored... LOL...

I don't like to use too goofy of transitions and such too... Thanks... G.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:08 PM
TwinForced

Way cool, I like the fact that you drive in brush allso, not just rocks, I really like the shot of the truck driving over the cam.....
Old 02-18-2005, 05:15 PM
pritch

Fantastic. A great crawler and a nice film. I disagree, I think the music was great for the purpose - a leisurely score to go with the leisurely ease with which the truck handled the rocks. And then it just rolled off home again, like a kid tired of play. Real nice!
Old 02-18-2005, 06:08 PM
garynjr

Thanks Pritch. and Orange... I'm glad you like it... I'll have more soon as the weather warms up...
Old 02-20-2005, 04:27 PM
Cummins

That's an amazing film! That was the first time I've ever seen RC Crawling and so have loads of questions and comments.

1) COOL MUSIC
2) Is there such a thing as a good stock crawler.
3) Is some crawling faster than that? It was a bit too slow for me (yes, you guessed it, I'm a touring car driver!).
4) What have you done to your body? Did the back half snap off or is it meant to look like that?
5) How much do you reckon it takes to get into Rock Crawling at a Intermediate level
6) How much has gone into your car?

Thanks loads and thanks for that brilliant film
Old 02-21-2005, 10:43 AM
garynjr

Hey Cummins, thanks for the comments.

A good stock crawler, Well, the TXT is probably the best in stock form. Although the Clod based crawler is probably the best. (What you saw is a clod. By no means the best I've seen but it's not bad either.) Also the TLT is a good starter for a lot less $$ and it's easy to do mods. Here is a video of my slightly moddified TLT. However it's not nearly as large as my clod. But considering, it handles some pretty rough terrain. http://www.rcpics.net/img/45902
The Biggest difference is that the Clod is 2 seperate transmisions. the TXT and TLT are shaft driven and one Tranny. The reason the clod is better is because on a steep climb it will transition the power more to the front wheels less to the rear and the shaft type will still put power to the rear increasing the likly hood to flip yourself over....

I too am a Touring Car guy and couldn't get enough speed ever! I have a 60mph nitro car and an xray M18 that does about 40+ with a BL system... among others... Rock crawling is quite a nice change of pace. Its completely different from onroad and even track off road stuff. It'sall about tackling what you can and getting over those obsticals that just seem like it can't be done. That is practically full speed. It's not all about how fast you do it but that you do it with grace and percision... It's more similar to drfting in the TC world. It's more about form and composure and less about prure speed and brute.

You can put faster motors in it to mak it faster but it usually overheats your esc when you actually crawl because you are resisting the current. I use 55 turn motors. LOL... Yup. 55 Turn. a little different from your 10 double huh... Although the are 2 of them in parralle so the overall strain on the ESC is actually closer to stock.. 27t. But not nearly as fas! also the gearing is very low. Lots of torque!!!

The body is cut like that to allow the wheels to clear it. Crawling is not typically a "Show" body type of truck. If you mount the body high enough to clear the wheels it off sets your COG "Ceter of Gravity" and then you have a greater risk of falling over sideways or backwards...

I've spent about $350 not including electronics on my Truck. I purchased the Super Clod buster and only built the axels. $45 on TMaxx shocks. I spent $30 on Ti screw set. about $30 on Aluminum parts from Lowes. $40 rod ends, aluminum tubing and threaded rod from my LHS. For my actual truck. Now I probably spent andother $100 on R&D. LOL> This was my third try.

Hope that helps...
Old 02-21-2005, 01:44 PM
Cummins

Thanks so much for the info. Yeah, I can see now why crawling is fun! Is there a place (in Uk preferably) where I can by just the axles and drivetrain of the Super Clod and not the rest? Maybe is there a way of building a good crawler from scratch just using upgraded parts? I went on www.clodparts.com and it seemed as if you could just build one from Hop ups! The plastic gears on the Clod look weak and feeble. Have you had any problems. I'm thinking of buying the Super Clod as a way into crawlin. Then, when I'm up for it, buying a proper crawler chassis. Sound good?
Old 02-21-2005, 03:17 PM
garynjr

You can buy a set of clod axels for around $150 USD. http://www.inetrc.com/shopping/html/shopping_home.cfm

The plastic gears oren't bad. i have had no problems. I figured I'd start with them and upgrade later if I need to.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Cummins

Thanks for the link. Okay, I might get stock axles and gears off Inet RC (do they come with motors), they seem quite expensive though just for axles. It says they don't come with the steering set, that's another $24.99 on top of the $149.99 for the drivesystem. I then need a decent quality servo (not sure what you lot use), then I need a chassis with shocks, a reciever, crystals, tyres, wheels, a body, batteries, battery charger, motors and ESC, and all under a budget of £400! I dont think so! I think it would be easier (but more expensive) to buy stock and then upgrade. I would love to get into crawlin' but money is the major thing which gets me crawling back to ground one. lol. Is there any other good crawlers (excluding the TXT, too expensive again!). The TLT is a possibility but is just too small for my liking and as studysession said, is crap stock.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:05 PM
garynjr

Well, a clod buster stock is not a crawler by any means. If you do get the clod it comes with two motors and a mechanical ESC. You need 2 servos. One to work the ESC and one for steering. If you build your own chssis and other parts you wil still need 2 Sevos for 4w steering and a good ESC. As for a radio, you could use one of your TC radios. no different. I use a JR system for all my cars and trucks. It's Synthisized so no Crystals.
You can also use the same 6 cell packs as your cars.

If you go with the TLT, it is VERY easy to upgrade it to a fairly good crawler. For cheap too. You need a motor (Highly recomend the Integy 55t $19.00) and also a decent but not a great ESC and still 2 servos for 4ws. In my TLT vid, I spent $10 to upgrade it to the performance you saw there. Well, $45 if you count the tires... But the links are quite easy. Infact, if you look around this site for "TLT a better way" I think you will find some great and Cheap mods to make it a nice truck for you. Keep in mind that with crawling it's not about the biggest rock you can crawl over but the biggest compared to the scale of your truck... I actually bought the TLT first and loved it so much I ended up getting the clod too and I like them bot very much.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Cummins

I see your point, yet again my plan will probably change. I don't live in America so that $20 motor will probably become a $80 one one shipping, Handling, VAT, Import Tax and everything else has been added! Do you live in America? I was thinking that if I gave the money to someone to buy the motor inc delivery to their house. They could then mail it to be pretending it's a gift or something thus avoiding VAT and Import Tax... hopefully. BTW my on road car is nitro so I don't have any electric items which is why cost is so important. What I could now consider would be:

1) TLT - 1 Max Climber - £178
2) Reciever - £17
3) Crystals - £15
4) Esc (any that you would recommend?)
5) Motor (either the 55t or another)
6) 2x Hi-Tec 755 HB servos - £45.98
7) Batteries (any that you would recommend?)
8) Charger (any that you would recommend?)

The total cost (without Motor, Esc, Batteries, Charger and shipping) comes to £210. I would not like to spend over £300. What about weaker servos? A truck that small should surely be able to get away with standard servos. What about putting a brushless system in as well? Sound crazy. But, you crawler guys... well... enough said. lol

EDIT: adding batteries to the list
Old 02-21-2005, 06:50 PM
garynjr

Yeah, I think you may be out of luck with the budget thing... If you are going from Nitro to Electric it's going to be kinda pricy! You could spend thatmuch on batteries, and electronics alone. I would sugest getting the Rock buster s aposed to the Maxx climber for cost sake. Do you have a LHS? Local hobby shop? Maybe they could order it for you to save on $$ Studdy session lives in the UK.. I would ask him the best way to get parts out there.

You could get cheap batteries and a charger because the batteries last a long time with that motor. It's tough though. I would just get started and then build up as you can... or save up and get it all at once. I would say you would need about $500 - 600 to start from scratch...
Old 02-22-2005, 02:00 AM
Cummins

Yeah, I'm only 13 so the only extra income I get is by doing jobs for my parents! My other option was to get a Mini - T. Ithink I might do that first. Because then I'll have a charger already and probably an esc. Then, when I start working for actual cash, I can then splash out on a crawler. Thank you very much for the help you've given me. Now I just need to start saving up!!!!
Old 02-22-2005, 02:46 AM
Mike01

Cummins,

My article about how to build a better TLT-1 has just hit the Magazine section of this website (under How To's). Check it out. With a set of 3 dollar mini-t shocks you can make the TLT-1 into a very potent crawling machine. The article details a lot of mods that use all stock parts (except the mini-t shocks) to raise the TLT's ground clearance, massively increase articulation, lower the center of gravity and more.

Check it out.

Mike
Old 02-22-2005, 09:37 AM
garynjr

That's the one. Thanks Mike.

And Cummins, The mini T ESC won't work in any other truck just so you know. However, It is a great little truck. Love mine... Both of them....
Old 02-22-2005, 02:20 PM
Cummins

Mike, thanks a bunch for that info on the TLT, even though I've decided against it in favour of a mini - t (for now ). garynjr, two mini - T's? I didn't mean using the Mini - T esc as that is a reciever/esc combination unless I'm mistaken. I was thinking that if I get the mini - T I will upgrade it beyond belief! I'm thinking carbon fibre through and through!!! One of the upgrades will probably be a new esc (and motor, do you recommend any? has anyone made a brushless mini - T section?).
Old 02-22-2005, 02:22 PM
Cummins

I just read the subject of this thread again and realised how much I've distracted you from your point. Sos. So, back to the point. Superb vid
Do you have a pic showing roughly the scale of those rocks and the truck? Or any other vids for that matter. Any good RC Crawling videos you would recommend?
Old 02-22-2005, 10:31 PM
garynjr

No problem...

As for the scale, it's a 1/10th scale truck but clods are pretty big for 10th scale... The clod tire is about 6.5" tall I think. Most of those rocks are larger then that... I was walking on them so they are large enough to support me.

As for other vids... There are some really sweet ones on the Rcpics.net site...
Go there and type in a search for JK and MudCow. You will LOVE the ones that come up... They are a few years old but it's an amazing truck! It inspired me to buy my clod... Here is a pic of y clod on a 16 o cup over a soda can....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82123.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	233371  
Old 02-23-2005, 02:57 AM
Cummins

Thanks, it's bigger than I thought. It must be fun owning a vehicle which can do that. I was wondering, if you lock the diffs, how does it turn normally on grass? Does it skid or bounce. At the end of the film it goes around on a bit of grass, it looks as though its hopping everywhere and bouncing around alot for something with so much suspension movement. One more thing, whats it like for vertical suspension movement? Does it go down as up as much as it twists around and leans? Thanks a bunch
Old 02-23-2005, 09:31 AM
garynjr

It does go up and down a bit but it's a pretty stiff suspension. that grass is prety bummp and I was turning back and forth for the fun of it... I do have my diffs locked. That's a necessity for crawling. It turns ok on the grass but I haven't cut down my turning stops so it doesn't have a tn of steering. It's 4WS so it's ok but with the diffs locked and not cutting the stops yet it's not really tight at all. the next move is to cut the steering stops.

I put new wheels on it and some servo savers because on the way home from that vid I stripped a servo gear.

I love having a big truck. It's a lot of fun. especially since I've been used to my Mini T and the TLT. The TLT is smaller then the chassis of my clod.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:04 PM
Cummins

How on earth did you strip a gear on the way home!! You must have been doing some pretty heavy running. What is it's top speed?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.