Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

What CP Heli to get

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

What CP Heli to get

Old 03-31-2005, 10:09 PM
TheFish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What CP Heli to get

I am looking to get a new heli and I am not sure what to get. I know I want a CP and would prefer a direct line to the tail instead of a motor. My price range is $450. I have been looking at the Dragonfly 22a and the Hornet for example. The problem is finding a good heli that meets my budget including the controller. I originally started with a FP that came with the controller and it is difficult looking at a heli then trying to figure out what controller is best for the purposes. I was spoiled having an ARF where you just attach the blades and go, so when looking to just step up made it more difficult. If you know of any online stores that you would recommend with your advice would also be helpful. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:54 PM
ozandy

Default RE: What CP Heli to get

Beware of the combination "cheap" and "CP" and "Good". They do not go together!
Go for quality seperates (good Tx with all the heli mixing functions, brushless motors and controllers, HH gyro, lipos and chargers) in your FP first, then you can transfer them to a CP when you can afford it. Buying a cheap CP will cost you.
My 2c
Old 04-01-2005, 05:14 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TheFish,
Are you planning on flying outdoors? Then I think you need to bump your budget up a bit to get a T-Rex or Shogun. You need a transmitter too? What are you using for your FP?
Old 04-01-2005, 11:27 AM
TheFish

I have a cheap 4 ch transmitter which isn't the best, i believe it came with an Aerohawk. I would upgrade the FP heli but there is really no feasable way to do it, it was never able to fly right even with a lot of time replacing parts. The electronics are junk due to water damage in a flood that occured where it was stored. There is realy no point in salvaging any part of it. I am just interested in an inexpensive solution that can be flown in and out of doors.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:41 PM
WhtBronco

Well the CP micro electric helis I have been looking at, the Shogun and Trex, are gonna run me about $600-650. I already have an 8 channel heli radio and high end li-po battery charger. Without those items it would run me over $1k for a setup. Don't try to get a CP heli that's cheap, all you are likely to get is junk. FWIW, I have never flown a FP heli and have no intentions of trying. Most of them seem to not be all that good and the good ones are as expensive as a CP machine.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:43 AM
TheFish

Thanks for the input. I kept looking and I found a package deal for a Zoom Shogun with transmitter for $530 which is only a couple of dollars more. I will say to WhtBronco that a FP is a good starter. I found them not very stable but very durable. I really only broke the tail rotor blades until I was able to get a good tail support to stop the blade strikes. I put my old FP through hell (including cutting power completely and letting it drop about 25ft onto a concrete floor) and had very little repairs.