Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

CA Hinges(the correct way)

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

CA Hinges(the correct way)

Old 05-16-2005, 04:49 PM
cegfamily2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA Hinges(the correct way)

This weekend i put my trainer in the dirt. Was it pilot error, no. Was it servo malfunction, no. Was it a building error, YES! I would just like to kick myself for gluing the hinges wrong, i guess. My elevator pulled out with the CA hinges still in it. I was told that was not supposed to happen, that the hinges would break before they would pull out. Learning from my mistake i have found a new way to insert CA Hinges into there proper slots they are as follows:

1. Make slot in proper area of wing and control surface.
2. Drill a 1/16 inch hole at each end of slot or in the Middle of the slot. (Missing step) This allows for proper wicking of the whole hinge.
3. Insert CA Hinge half way into the control surface and wick the half in the wood, make sure after it sets to do the other side of the hinge.
4. Insert Control surface onto wing, stabilizer, or rudder make sure to wick both sides. Let set for at least an hour before flexing.

It was heartbreaking to watch my trainer go in, but from this i can build a better plane. Now that you have heard my sad story, what do you think of this tip, is there a better way to mount a CA Hinge. Thanks for your time.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:56 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CA Hinges(the correct way)

I like to use the Sonictronic CA hinges. They have a slot lengthwise in them which allows better wicking of the CA glue.