Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

World M. Cap 232 40, aerobatics...

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

World M. Cap 232 40, aerobatics...

Old 05-29-2005, 10:03 PM
Fastsky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World M. Cap 232 40, aerobatics...

Finally decided to take a chance and fly the Cap 232 with a new 46AX on the front. It was quite windy but its been that way for weeks so decided to go for it. The first take off was aborted after a 30 foot run because the winds shifted and the plane was pointing at a bad angle. Taxied back and lined up again. Throttled up and this time the plane stayed straight down the runway. Added a touch of elevator after about 50 feet and the plane lifted off smooth and easy. The first turn was smooth and didn't see any problems. Made 3 circuits before easing my fingers off the sticks to check the trim. The plane flew straight and level with no adjustments needed. Tried some simple aerobatics and the plane seems to take things in stride. The first landing was ok but could have been better. The elevator is large and has lots of throw. 2nd flight went well and this time landed perfect right in front of me. Go easy on the sticks and it handles like a sport plane. Throw the sticks around and the plane goes nuts (in a fun way!). I got a few more flights in and have the landing figured out to land in front of me every time. I thought Caps were supposed to be hard to fly?? Questions for other Cap owners if you don't mind? Does the Cap come out a spin if you release the sticks and how fast does it spin?? Other question, how does the plane handle slow speed inverted flight? I have had it inverted and it flys fine but I wasn't going very slow. Too nervous to slow down too much in the high winds. Btw. the 46AX is plenty of power for the Cap and it ran very reliably after only 2 tank runs before flying. I was only using a MAS 11-5 prop because I hadn't picked up an APC yet. Plenty of performance even with this prop. Very good vertical but not unlimited. I am sure I can do better with the right prop. Any suggestions as to what would work well with the 46AX?
Old 05-29-2005, 10:37 PM
splatt

Default RE: World M. Cap 232 40, aerobatics...

I was flying the same combo today. I've been flying mine for a month now with the 46AX.

Very easy model to fly.

Started with a 10-7 APC , then tried 11-6 MA wood, 12-5 TF wood. Went back to 10-7 APC.

I'm going to put stall plates on the wing tips, to see if I can control the snap that hides inside.

Obey the eleavtor rule (don't pull to hard when your too slow, or down wind) and the model obeys.

Go too hard and mine snaps to the opposite direction, nearly everytime.

I have better faith in a Super Sportster doing nasty stunts close to the ground. Maybe nature of the beast with the tapered wing

I need more time with it. Still it's a nice model to fly and with the built in design type covering, cool plane
Old 05-30-2005, 07:47 AM
Fastsky

Hi splatt, ya the elevator has "lots" of authority!! I am thinking of trying an APC 12-4 for slower aerobatics. I have other planes that are better suited for high speed flyers and I want more thrust at lower rpms. I may be way off here but I'll try it and report back. I also have an APC 11-5 that I will try. Later....[8D]
Old 05-30-2005, 11:57 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got my CAP 232 and I got the wings, tail feathers, UC and tail wheel assembled within 2 hours. This plane is easy to build and the fit is very good. I am going to power her with a TT46 but am tempted to try a Saito 72. I think the 11x5 will be good for 3D, can get more revs and the 5" pitch will still give decent speed.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Fastsky

Some changes I made: After reading from the posts is that the thin main landing gear as supplied is soft as butter and bends on almost every landing, I bought a fiberglass replacement and installed it before heading to the field. The plane is light and a good aluminun would probably work just as well. I also replaced the tail wheel gear with a Sullivan tail wheel assembly. I tossed the CA hinges and went to plastic with the metel pin and pinned them in. Last change I made was to go to 10-32 plastic bolts for the wing mounting. The end result is a great flying plane.