Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Why no ARCs, only ARFs

Old 06-07-2005, 06:56 AM
3D Joy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why no ARCs, only ARFs

Title says it all. Maybe they don't want us to see inside the plane and see the construction flaws?

Thanks
Old 06-07-2005, 07:28 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Why no ARCs, only ARFs

3D,

I'd have to agree. I sure do not want some to be able to see my "building boo-boo's"
Old 06-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Y N C

BME aircraft has a 87" YAK 54 ARC coming out around mid july with a price around $ 515.00 US.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:33 AM
extratorker
My Feedback: (8)

The reason for no arc's is that it only costs an average $50 for the covering job on these planes,so it's not worth it to bring it arcs when guys expect them to be $200 less.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:42 PM
jsm77777
My Feedback: (4)

There are too many ARF's to begin with. ARC's aren't much different in my mind. I hope to see more kits, and kit manufacturers in the future. ARF's are fine, and have their place, but the norm used to be that a modeler built his own plane, and now that is the exception. Most people today want instant satisfaction, and reward, so that is why the demand for ARF's is there. But eventually the price of ARF's will go up when the Asian market see's the west's dependence on their supply. It's bound to happen. Also, most ARF's are poorly built, and not worthy of my $$. Hopefully more people will become interested in building their own plane again, and the supply of kit makers will return. My .02 anyway. Scott
Old 06-07-2005, 03:21 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

I am a builder and so when I look for something pre-built, I would love an ARC. 90% of the ARF covering schemes are too busy and just scream "Chinese" to me. I have not left one ARF alone (except the QuiQue Yak I just bought).. I have usually stripped or partially stripped them and personalized them to my liking.

Most people HATE to cover however so the few companies who have offered ARCs usually gave up when they still had them on the shelf a year later.

In the case of the BME Edge... I WISH they would offen an ARC. Excellent plane, horrible covering.

DP

Old 06-07-2005, 03:38 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

Since you save very little $ on the typical ARC vs ARF (for example you save $50 on Dave Patrick Models ARC), just strip the covering off the ARF and there you have it...ARC. Then you can inspect the building and make corrections as needed. You can't hardly complain about the price of ARF's...you spend more to build a kit these days. Don't get me wrong, I like a kit built plane when I have time but ARFs are nice too when you are wanting something in the air fast.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:43 PM
Aerohead
My Feedback: (37)

I do not enjoy covering, but if the plane is nicely built but it is covered with "Chinacoat" I would rather get it in ARC form and cover it myself. And I have to agree with desertpig about the Chinese color schemes. Most of them are way too busy, use colors that really clash, and very often have seams that are too narrow and tend to start peeling away during the first few flights. I will say one thing though. I'm glad to see them using different color schemes on the top and bottom of the planes. In years past they used to be identical, and you always had to rework one or the other to be able to retain orientation. This was really murder for rookie fliers.[X(]
Old 06-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Ken-h
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Like to say hi guys, this is my first post on RCU but I’ve been in the hobby for quite some time and consider myself a good builder and pilot.

You can get ARC's both from BME and Dave Patrick. As I understand it BME is also producing their EDGE540 and YAK54 in ARC versions as well.

With the lack of 50cc sized kits out their, plus the price of building one of these will cost just as much, these are attractive alternatives for us builders out there. It's nice to show up to the field with a one of a kind model. The quality of these models just seem to get better and better as time goes on. Up until about a year ago, I would have never considered an ARF or ARC for that matter.

I’ve attached photos of my BME converted to ARC Edge. This was one well-built model and needed no improvements while in the bones.

Regards,
Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45393.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	281901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95255.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	281902  
Old 06-07-2005, 09:00 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I though I saw somewhere that Top flite has their large P-51 as a ARC???
Old 06-08-2005, 12:49 AM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

Look in the Tower Talk or on their website. $399.99 ARC or $449.99 ARF Fifty bucks might be a litle steep for the covering job you get on the ARF!!
Old 06-08-2005, 04:08 AM
crfabbro
My Feedback: (56)

J'Tec/Radiowave and CA models have ARCs in the 35-40% size.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:41 AM
3D Joy

Thanks to all,

Any airplane that is covered with Chinakote has actually LESS value than the same model without covering. The reason of my original post is that I flew a BME Edge last week. This plane flies really well and 3Ds pretty good but the covering jobs leaves things to be desired. The construction seemed no more than good but with an ARC, one can "repair" some of the construction flaws. Now I am happy that lots of manufacturers are now offering ARC versions of their ARFs.

I hate to cover but I think it is mandatory to do it (at least for my planes) so I am sure of the integrity of the plane.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:11 AM
famousdave

ORIGINAL: aviti

Since you save very little $ on the typical ARC vs ARF (for example you save $50 on Dave Patrick Models ARC), just strip the covering off the ARF and there you have it...ARC. Then you can inspect the building and make corrections as needed. You can't hardly complain about the price of ARF's...you spend more to build a kit these days. Don't get me wrong, I like a kit built plane when I have time but ARFs are nice too when you are wanting something in the air fast.

This is usually what I do.. however if the model is covered in China Kote, it takes longer to strip it than it does to recover it.. THAT gets aggravating.

DP
Old 06-08-2005, 09:49 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: TripleDeucer

Look in the Tower Talk or on their website. $399.99 ARC or $449.99 ARF Fifty bucks might be a litle steep for the covering job you get on the ARF!!

I would also prefer some ARC, but honestly, I don't think I could by the covering for $50.00 that is used on the P-51. What does monokote run now, $10-15/roll?

Not to mention the time involved, and then the painting of the cowl, etc...
Old 06-08-2005, 01:03 PM
Ken-h
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Pulling the covering off an ARF is fairly simple IMO. My daughter usually holds the heat gun while I pull. Took all of about thirty minutes to pull the covering off the Edge. The covering is easy to remove with a little heat.

The hardest part is the prep work such as sanding to prepare for the new covering. The results are worth the effort.

Ken
Old 06-08-2005, 01:43 PM
Aerohead
My Feedback: (37)

Pulling Ultracoat off may be easy, but pulling off Monokote is a real PITA, usually resulting in pulling up a fair amount of wood with it.[:@]
Old 06-08-2005, 11:03 PM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

ORIGINAL: Aerohead

Pulling Ultracoat off may be easy, but pulling off Monokote is a real PITA, usually resulting in pulling up a fair amount of wood with it.[:@]
Like Ken says, use heat. I've been doing that for years and it works real good. If you have a small section that is stuck tight like over a glue seam or such, just iron a scrap piece of monokote over it and yank it back up while its still pretty warm and your unwanted piece wil be stuck to the back of it. Works great.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:34 AM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

One point might be time, and the fact that nobody cares to build anymore. If you can buy a plane for about the same price (ARC & ARF) and your time is limited why not ARF.

The manufacturers would not be making predominately ARF's if everybody wanted an ARC. The art of building is about gone, Time is a big factor and now the cost of a fairly well made ARF is not a factor. It used to be very expensive to have a custom built plane.

I still love to build, but the time is almost none existent at the present moment. Other countries have stepped in, for good or bad, and filled this gap. MADE THEM AFFORDABLE. It is sad that one is not able to take the pride in building and then flying there master piece anymore. It just seemed to add something to the whole experience.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:54 AM
jsm77777

I know for all of us time is short, but if you really want to build, you can. I find the time, and so do other's, so you can too. The ARF's I have seen, except for the Composite-ARF's, are poorly built, and not worth the money. I can't see the reasoning of buying an ARF, and waiting to get it, then pulling off covering, repairing the mistakes, then recovering, and painting. If you would have started building a kit, it would not take that much longer. At least that is my .02 again. Scott
Old 06-09-2005, 11:02 AM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

I have to agree with RTK. Hardly anyone want's to build anymore. The quality of some ARF's though, would be difficult for many builders to match. I've been building for over 40 yrs, but I have a tough time matching the quality of some of the ARF's, and I'm real picky! I think ARC's are such a small market, that the mfg's don't even consider it in some cases. Another issue is the build quality. An uncoverd airframe will show all the warts & boo-boo's. A little covering can cover up a lot of sins. My .02.
Z
Old 06-09-2005, 04:46 PM
jsm77777

Well if the covering will cover up some sins, then what else is wrong with it where you can't see. I see no value in buying something to tear it apart, fix, and re-cover. It's like buying a new car, only to have to strip the car out, and strip paint, and re-do. Nobody would buy that car, and I wonder why people buy these poorly built ARF's and accept the quality. In all reality, people have the time to build, but would rather so something fun than build. ARF's have their place, but in no way can an ARF come even close in quality than what I frame up. Composite-ARF's are very nice, and the best ARF's out there, but no way would I buy a balsa/foam/plastic covered ARF. Scott
Old 06-10-2005, 10:24 AM
captainpitts-RCU
My Feedback: (24)

The reason I was told that you dont see the arc that often is because without the covering they are more likely to get damaged in transit. I will admit that most of the aircraft that I have flown over the past 6 years have been arfs. I can honestly say that over the past couple of years the quality of arfs have increased dramatically. People complain about that china kote and I don't like it myself but remember that sticky crap that used to be on the planes? It was horrible.at least most companies have switched to ultracote or monokote for their covering. I suffered from the lack of time up until recently so I was forced to buy arfs. But I am going to do some building here real soon(just ordered an aerotech 35% edge). And I probably will build a few arfs in the process of building the kit. to each his own and just like most things in life it's all personal preference.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:52 AM
famousdave

ORIGINAL: Ken-h

Pulling the covering off an ARF is fairly simple IMO. My daughter usually holds the heat gun while I pull. Took all of about thirty minutes to pull the covering off the Edge. The covering is easy to remove with a little heat.

The hardest part is the prep work such as sanding to prepare for the new covering. The results are worth the effort.

Ken

Ken - did you use this method on the ChinaKote crap on the BME Edge... ???? I tried that, it left tons of the color (white) glue behind so I had to strip it with acetone. (lots o fun). ChinaKote is the worst stuff ever made.

DP