Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

yellow F-15 first flight.

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

yellow F-15 first flight.

Old 06-09-2005, 09:14 PM
DEVILDOG
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yellow F-15 first flight.

Put the first flight on the F-15 today. It flew great.
I was wondering about the elevator throw. Manual says 1 3/8 of travel each way. This seemed to be not enough for flaring.
I had a good aproach with flaps and speed break applied. I did not have enough elevator to flare with a nose up wheels landing.
I had a harder than wanted landing.
The balance is just a touch on the nose side. I'm going to re-balance for level AOA.

I'm thinking that the recomended 7 1/4" C.G. might be a bit too nose heavy. Was thinking about adjusting the C.G. after a few more flights to get things to be a little better.

Other than that it was a great flight. I have the next 3 days off and will be putting more flights on it and hoping to get that high AOA that they're known for.

Any advice on the throws and c.g. would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2005, 09:42 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: yellow F-15 first flight.

Scott,

As is commonly said in this forum by me and others, don't go with recommended CG, go at least a 1/4 inch back and really you should go 1/2" back.

I used the throws stated and actually ended up flying less than that. It's a great Jet, I loved my first one and just recently got another. (sold the first )
Old 06-09-2005, 10:08 PM
CobraJet
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott,
Show us some pics!

I flew mine for the first time this last weekend with the stock CG setting and based on the approaches I was making, the CG felt too far forward. I believe once the CG is shifted back a 1/4" to 1/2" the 1 3/8" stab throw should feel right and the approaches will be easier to set up nose high. I plan to move mine 1/2" from the stock setting and try it on the next flying session. I also ended up taking all the expo out of the stab since it ended up feeling too soft around center. Otherwise flew great and was a great crowd pleaser. I ended up getting an award for the most realistic flight at last week's Denver Warbird Rally.

Before...

After...
Old 06-10-2005, 01:47 PM
RPM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Tom -

Why don't you bring that good look'n Trophy Winner down to the Bomber Field event in September. In addition to some of your Cali buds coming, we'll also have the Coon***** Squadron in attendance for a really good time.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:50 PM
Shaun Evans

Tom,

Fab looking Eagle!
Old 06-10-2005, 10:51 PM
CobraJet
My Feedback: (4)

RPM, Shaun,
Thanks! I can't predict yet where I'll be in Sept as I'll be travelling a bunch the rest of the year but if I have the spare time I'll definitely be interested in coming down to Houston to fly! My dad was stationed in Ellington AFB back in the mid '60's and all I remember were the Guppies flying in/out of there. Would love to see how its all changed...