Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Engine start... and stalls

Old 07-24-2005, 04:51 PM
hyrvine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine start... and stalls

Hi All,
I was having trouble starting the engine couple days ago, and now I can start it when giving it a little acceleration at the time I rotostart it.
This way it starts right away (otherwise, it never starts).

Now the problem is that the engine will stall pretty quickly under the following conditions :

1) I remove the glow plug. It stops.
2) I keep the glow plug, and accelerate full throttle. It stops right away.
3) I keep the glow plug and stop accelerating completly. It stops.

So the only way I can keep it running is when I keep the glow plug and give it a small bit of throttle. And I get some white smoke when doing that.

Also, not sure if this is related, but the engine is consuming a lot of fuel. (right now the truck is standing up in the air... wheels spinning for nothing. Whether I accelerate or not, the wheel spin at the same speed).

Ok experts... any advice ? (I tried to reset everything to factory settings, but this stuff is hard to be very precise )

Let me know if you need to test more scenarios... I keep faith after 4 months that I'll be able to run it before summer end
Old 07-24-2005, 07:54 PM
parris001

Default RE: Engine start... and stalls

There's a lot of stuff that could be going on here. What engine do you have? How old is it? Have you been running it and this is all of a sudden a new problem?
Old 07-24-2005, 08:59 PM
Buzzbait

It sounds like you're running the engine too rich. This will cause the engine to stall, and will chug through fuel quickly. Lean out your high speed needle, 1/8 turn at a time, until the engine stops stalling. Then adjust your low speed needle for proper acceleration.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:57 PM
racer man05

well i actually jsut went through the same problem and went through 3 days of tuning, new plugs and everything i could think of... thne i found out my engine lost a lot of compression. if u have run a lot of fuel through ur engine then its might be time for a new one.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:02 AM
hyrvine

my engine is brand new.... hpi 4.6.
I can try to lean out, but I can't see how this would solve the problem of the engine not starting without acceleration....
Old 07-25-2005, 12:11 AM
Korn9898
My Feedback: (2)

wrong topic sorry
Old 07-25-2005, 08:14 AM
hyrvine

It's hpi 4.6 brand new. Only run through one tank, but then for some reason I messed up the settings ( ). And now I m trying to get it back running...
Old 07-25-2005, 09:40 AM
Buzzbait

Using a hair of throttle to start the engine is not uncommon in nitro. Lot's of people do it. AFTER you get the high speed and low speed needles adjusted properly, try playing with the idle adjustment screw. Raising the idle a hair may get rid of having to use the throttle to start the engine. Just don't raise is it so high that the clutch shoes engage at zero throttle.

Also, if you have only a single tank of nitro run through the engine, you'll be leaning out the engine over the next gallon of so of fuel. My engine didn't completely finish breaking in until I'd run about 2 gallons of fuel through it. Just be patient with it, and everything will turn out fine.