Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

Need Help Switching from AA's to Rechargeable Packs

Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Need Help Switching from AA's to Rechargeable Packs

Old 11-19-2005, 09:16 PM
txstars15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Switching from AA's to Rechargeable Packs

Hi All-
I have Traxxas transmitters for a Revo, Bandit and Villain(boat), and an old Challenger 2P radio for a vintage Tamiya Frog! All take 8 AA, the Challenger takes 4.

What would be the best way to determine a good battery pack sub for all these AA's? Obviously, I can figure the provided voltage from the AA's, but have no idea as to current requirements. At onlybatterypacks.com they show some likely candidates, but they vary with voltage and current.

Can I go to a higher than needed mah rating to give myself longer radio on time? Any suggestions on how to select rechargeable packs for these radios, and best sources to find them are really appreciated.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:54 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need Help Switching from AA's to Rechargeable Packs

That's a lot of AA batts, have you considered using rechargeable AA from like energizer at wally-world? Many of us use them in our transmitters and use the chargers too. sorry but I can't help with a "pack"
Old 11-21-2005, 07:44 AM
gerwen

Get the same amount of cells and you'll be fine. I use energizer NIMH rechargeables in my tx.

Yes, you can get a higher mah rating for longer run-times. The current draw for a tx is minimal, so use whatever rechargeables suit you.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:51 AM
txstars15

gerwen-

Thanks for the info. Just so I completely understand, are you saying my only option is to use single, rechargeable AA cells?
Or, can I buy any mah rating pre-made battery pack as long as it has 8 cells in it?

Thanks again!!
Old 11-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Engrose

The problem if you buy battery packs is that they have to fit in the tx and furthermore have the correct connector. But apart from that you could use any 8*1.2V batterypack.

Even though an alkaline AA have 1.5V and the rechargeable is said to have 1.2V you should use the same number of cells. A fully charged 1.2V AA does often have nearly 1.5V and it stays high in the voltage much longer than the alkalines.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:32 PM
txstars15

According to the lhs owner/guru, he says that the Traxxas radios low battery red indicator lite will blink almost right away if using 1.2v rechargeables. However, posts here seem to indicate any 8 cell configuration will work.

I found an 8 cell, 2400mah pre-made Sanyo pack at onlybatterypacks.com for $22. Sounds like pretty much anything will actually work if its an 8 cell setup.