Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

IMAA President???

Old 01-15-2006, 08:01 AM
bj1235@iquest
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMAA President???

I just recently sent an e-mail to the IMAA president, and found that Tom Hammer was not in that office after all!!!

What happened? I know there was some controversy in these forums over the district one director. I don't recognize the new president at all! (Jim Giffis?) Anyone know the story here?
Old 01-15-2006, 08:54 AM
jclittle
My Feedback: (99)

Default RE: IMAA President???

[X(]
Old 01-17-2006, 10:03 AM
vicarh
My Feedback: (1)

go to the IMAA web site and find out... [link]http://www.fly-imaa.org[/link]
Old 01-17-2006, 04:36 PM
bj1235@iquest
My Feedback: (3)

I went to the IMAA web site, but found nothing there! Is there some dark secret here? How about just stating what has happened?
Old 01-17-2006, 07:44 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I am not sure of his reasons , but Tom Hammer resigned.
Try this link http://www.fly-imaa.org/imaa/announc...05results.html
Old 02-19-2006, 10:33 PM
RonS
My Feedback: (2)

I have read, and heard allot about the IMAA, and how they have screwed this, or that up, and this guy, or that guy, should not be associated with the IMAA. I would like to say that, yes, there have been mistakes, (people do that), but I personally think that we have a good board of directors, and the Pres. VP. Sec. Treas. will do the very best they can to keep it that way. I have yet to meet these people, but since I have been in the IMAA (14 yrs), I would not give up on the IMAA just because it has had a few up, and down years. I would hate to see what would happen to G/S if the IMAA was not around. Do you think that the Joe Nall, the Scale Masters, Rally of the Giants, maybe even the jet rallies would be around, if it was not for the IMAA, and it's founding fathers? I for one enjoy going to an IMAA meet, to see and meet fellow members with the same interests, and watching the BIG planes fly.
The IMAA has one of the best magazine editors also, who puts out a great magazine. IMAA also helps to keep us in the air with the AMA. Remember the AMA could have put a very low weight, and size limit to what we fly. The IMAA helped to get us to the bigger sizes that we now enjoy flying.
I don't think anyone can complain about the $20.00 yearly membership either. So I ask you, instead of tearing the IMAA apart, why not email your district directors with your ideas (do you have one?) to help get the IMAA back on track.
Now before anyone becomes an armchair detective, I will tell you, Yes I am the new District 3 director, and I WILL LISTEN, and try to help get the IMAA back to what it was a few years ago,,BUT WE NEED YOUR HELP ALSO!!!

Ron S. New District 3 Director
Old 02-19-2006, 11:03 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I for one think that it is wrong to force a non IMAA member to become a member just to participate in one event. Charging a higher fee or something would be acceptable but not force them to join.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Is $20 too much to ask for a year, It doesnt even buy me a decent throttle servo.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:24 AM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Geistware

I for one think that it is wrong to force a non IMAA member to become a member just to participate in one event. Charging a higher fee or something would be acceptable but not force them to join.
A IMAA legal plane cost any where from $400 to $6000 or more and some people complian about $20. Come on Guys.

You want to talk about bull , try 19 millon dollars for a museum in Muncie that 99% of us will never see, and we have to pay $58 a year because is the only gig in town. all hail AMA[>:]

I support the IMAA because I want to, and support the AMA because I have to.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:34 AM
Chip_Mull

This is gonna be a long thread. COWBOYWAY88 just made an excellent point and then fell on his spear. Come on guys, don't you remember the Sport Aviation debacle? It's tough to satisfy everyone all the time. Just think of all the different sports AMA has to address from Cars to boats to all the different aircraft types, control line, R/C this and that.

I'm not a director, I'm not a district VP and I don't always agree with the choices they have made but I DON'T want their jobs either. Take a look at the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association). We have about the same number of members as the EAA. They have two large events a year and chapter events all year long and not nearly the bickering we have at the AMA.

We are building more and more expensive aircraft with more technology than ever before with very little guidance or control from the AMA. For the most part, you can build and fly almost anything that doesn't interfere with the shuttle launches. (That statement alone will propagate this thread) You don't need a license in this country to fly a remotely controlled aircraft thanks to a large part to the AMA. You don't need federal inspections of your creations before you test them for the first time, largely because of the AMA. Your R/C megahorsepower engines aren't controlled or restricted by the EPA BECAUSE of the AMA.

Instead of *****ing about a one time entry fee or petty gripes about the one time they pissed you or your friends buddys uncles nephews cousin, think of the freedoms you enjoy because you have an organization literally goes to congress to protect you when needed.

As Lee Iocca says: If you have a better idea. BUILD IT!

If you research enough, You will find a reason for every "stupid" rule you don't like. If it bugs you enough, get involved and change it from within the system. Another qoute; this time from Lyndon Johnson "It's better to be in the tent pissing out than outside the tent trying to piss in."

Rebuke my first sentence and cut this thread off!

Tom Hammer may have resigned because of personal health issues. He may have had enough of this type of bull. Hell, he may have even decided to just build and fly model airplanes. This is a hobby isn't it?
Old 02-20-2006, 07:42 AM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

To me the IMAA is worth "FAR" more than the $20 I invest per year, FAR MORE!!! Shoot as mentioned I get more than $20 worth of enjoyment just out of the Hi-Flight magazine. Brian Smith Tullahoma Tn.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:49 AM
Chip_Mull

"Highflight" is the reason I first joined! I have known two of the editors personally and you couldn't pay me enough to take their job.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:17 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I let my imaa go this year. In the last 5 years I've only used my card once or twice for all of the flyins that I've gone to so I just didn't see a need to renue. Yes, it's not much but neither is the JPO or the lifetime membership or the .......

I do agree with cowboyway88 about muncie.. Build an extravagant place that 95% of us will never see, then raise the dues, blah blah blah. Yes the dues is minor, in my opinion they went a little nuts up there in snow mobile country for a facility that is based around a warm climate outside activity, a poor choice of location.

(I'm ducking now from flying obstacles which btw we wouldn't be able to throw if it wasn't for the ama) I know, I know. If it wasn't for the ama we wouldn't be able to fly a paper airplane let alone a RC model We are reminded of that every time that someone looks cross eyed at the ama or questions any little part, ie rule #9 or all of the turbine obstacles or... or... The ama is definately a good thing to have but I can't see any harm in having a little competition whether it be sport fliers etc...

Chipmull made a good argument for joining the ama but really nothing for joining the imaa other than getting the highflight mag
Old 02-20-2006, 08:25 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: cowboyway88

ORIGINAL: Geistware

A IMAA legal plane cost any where from $400 to $6000 or more and some people complian about $20. Come on Guys.

Its not the amount; its the principle. They say I must join their organization to fly at MY home club field that is hosting their event, where I pay DUES to be a member already?

I don't think so...
Old 02-20-2006, 09:24 AM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

First I would like to add the IMAA is not forcing anybody to join, these people have a right to not fly at any given flyin. As previously stated by one gentlmen he gave his IMAA up because he only needed it a few times.
As far as Muncie I beleive at the time alot of effort was given to location and needs. Remember it was placed at the center of the majority of AMA members not at the center to the USA.
Heck look where the Capital is, look at the amount of Federal tax you pay. How many times have you used it?
My favorite saying is "If your not part of the solution then your part of the problem". You figure it out.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:31 AM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: chipmull

This is gonna be a long thread. COWBOYWAY88 just made an excellent point and then fell on his spear. Come on guys, don't you remember the Sport Aviation debacle? It's tough to satisfy everyone all the time. Just think of all the different sports AMA has to address from Cars to boats to all the different aircraft types, control line, R/C this and that.

I'm not a director, I'm not a district VP and I don't always agree with the choices they have made but I DON'T want their jobs either. Take a look at the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association). We have about the same number of members as the EAA. They have two large events a year and chapter events all year long and not nearly the bickering we have at the AMA.

We are building more and more expensive aircraft with more technology than ever before with very little guidance or control from the AMA. For the most part, you can build and fly almost anything that doesn't interfere with the shuttle launches. (That statement alone will propagate this thread) You don't need a license in this country to fly a remotely controlled aircraft thanks to a large part to the AMA. You don't need federal inspections of your creations before you test them for the first time, largely because of the AMA. Your R/C megahorsepower engines aren't controlled or restricted by the EPA BECAUSE of the AMA.

Instead of *****ing about a one time entry fee or petty gripes about the one time they pissed you or your friends buddys uncles nephews cousin, think of the freedoms you enjoy because you have an organization literally goes to congress to protect you when needed.

As Lee Iocca says: If you have a better idea. BUILD IT!

If you research enough, You will find a reason for every "stupid" rule you don't like. If it bugs you enough, get involved and change it from within the system. Another qoute; this time from Lyndon Johnson "It's better to be in the tent pissing out than outside the tent trying to piss in."

Rebuke my first sentence and cut this thread off!

Tom Hammer may have resigned because of personal health issues. He may have had enough of this type of bull. Hell, he may have even decided to just build and fly model airplanes. This is a hobby isn't it?

Hey Chimull, I understand what the AMA has done for use, But in a insurance/liability and joining a club standpoint you have to have it. They are the only ones and that's a monopoly. A little comptition never hurt anyone. I know it's hard enough for a club to get enough AMA members to run properly. So having two organizations would make it worse. The DMV reconize all car insureances. the AMA will bite and kill any other compition and ban it from thier clubs and events.

I don't really have a problem with the $58 a year but if the AMA is wanting new and more members they are going to have to make it more affordable to a younger person that is problubly spending mom and dads money anyways.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:33 AM
jonkoppisch

I don't think that paying ama dues and paying federal taxes are quite on the same choice level so that kind of nullifies where the capitol is... Although if you want to look at it like that there is a major federal/state facility located in each state to better serve the people... Maybe the ama could learn something from that

To the location of muncie, WOW. There must be a lot of modelers north of muncie in the US to justify that as a central location...[:'(] I don't remember any polls for the location either....

Helping wise, I try to help as much as possible around the area that i can effect... Unfortunately I don't have the budget to travel to muncie etc.....
Old 02-20-2006, 11:19 AM
LSP972

ORIGINAL: v-snap

First I would like to add the IMAA is not forcing anybody to join, these people have a right to not fly at any given flyin.
Let me guess; you're a federal employee, right?

What kind of nonsense is that? Of course I can elect NOT to fly; but I went to the event TO fly. And, a guy with attitude tells me I cannot fly AT MY HOME FIELD unless I join IMAA.

No wonder that organization is having problems.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:26 AM
Brian Smith

Guess the other members in your club were in agreement with the guide lines or the event would not take place. I agree with V-Snap. I'm sorry you did not think it was worth $20 to join the fun and get a day of flying with a great bunch of fellows "and" enjoy a great magazine. Brian

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

ORIGINAL: v-snap

First I would like to add the IMAA is not forcing anybody to join, these people have a right to not fly at any given flyin.
Let me guess; you're a federal employee, right?

What kind of nonsense is that? Of course I can elect NOT to fly; but I went to the event TO fly. And, a guy with attitude tells me I cannot fly AT MY HOME FIELD unless I join IMAA.

No wonder that organization is having problems.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:27 AM
vicarh

To eliminate this issue of having to join IMAA, my club's Big Bird CD has decided to run the event as an AMA sanctioned event, running under IMAA guidelines but without sanctioning it wit IMAA. So we run an IMAA-like event without forcing people to join IMAA.

I think I read somewhere that IMAA was considering a change to this rule...
Old 02-20-2006, 11:41 AM
jonkoppisch

ORIGINAL: vicarh

To eliminate this issue of having to join IMAA, my club's Big Bird CD has decided to run the event as an AMA sanctioned event, running under IMAA guidelines but without sanctioning it wit IMAA. So we run an IMAA-like event without forcing people to join IMAA.

We've done the same thing along with other local clubs...
Old 02-20-2006, 11:42 AM
Brian Smith

Our club does the same here in Tullahoma. It is called The "BIG" bird fly-in with IMAA guidelines. But there are local events that still require IMAA membership and what the club wants it great with me.. Brian
ORIGINAL: vicarh

Old 02-20-2006, 02:27 PM
LSP972

ORIGINAL: Brian Smith

Guess the other members in your club were in agreement with the guide lines or the event would not take place.
Actually, quite a few were as surprised (and annoyed) as I was. And that event was ram-rodded by ONE individual; who was eventually voted out of the club for other reasons.

You assume too much. And don't be sorry; I have my principles... you have yours.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Brian Smith

Well I sure meant no offense. It just seems with the cost of gas to travel to these evants and the cost of models and equipment, it seemes a shame to me that you would miss out on the fun for $20. It is sure worth it to me.
Yes, the club needs to have a majority rule. Not be run by a tyrant .. Brian

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

ORIGINAL: Brian Smith

Guess the other members in your club were in agreement with the guide lines or the event would not take place.
Actually, quite a few were as surprised (and annoyed) as I was. And that event was ram-rodded by ONE individual; who was eventually voted out of the club for other reasons.

You assume too much. And don't be sorry; I have my principles... you have yours.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:42 PM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Wish I were a Federal employee then I wouldn't have to worry about losing my paycheck, retirement, and job rights so somebody only has to pay $59.95 to go from NY to Florida.

Yes your AMA could put a location near you. Just up the dues and call them state and local....Sounds just like the Gov..

You must remember when and why the IMAA was started, times have changed and I agree some things need to change also.

What I find funny is people will piss and moan over $20.00 for membership and throw 4.50 down on smokes, 6.00 on a six pack, and so on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.