Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

I think I'm in love.. but is she high maintenance?

Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

I think I'm in love.. but is she high maintenance?

Old 03-03-2006, 06:43 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I think I'm in love.. but is she high maintenance?

Saw a Savage X for the first time yesterday.. Already LOVE my Savage 25(totally stock), but after seeing the X up close and personal, it kind of swept me off my feet..

Even thought for a moment of selling my current Sav, but have been severely scolding myself ever since for even letting the thought enter my head.. Feel like I'd considered selling a child..

But is it true that there are issues with the new Sav? WHAT ARE THEY? I had been planning on pimping out my current Savage with a new, big motor etc, but after yesterday I've been thinking of taking the two-Savage approach... So whuddaya think? - 1 pimped out old-school Savage 25(with pain in the ass difs that have me kind of nervous when it comes to a new, stronger motor...), or the old, reliable 25 + a Savage X?
Old 03-03-2006, 06:48 AM
HerrSavage

Default RE: I think I'm in love.. but is she high maintenance?

I guess I forgot to mention the obvious - that the two-Savage approach is significantly more expensive and I really can't afford it, and there is an additional hidden price there, not only the monetary one(which, living in Germany, is huge - Savage X costs €550..), but with my girlfriend as well... We're getting a new flat, and I should be spending my money on a washing machine or new furniture or whatever - don't know if a Savage X is quite as practical... But then you don't really need clean clothes to drive a Savage.. Damn - tough call!
Old 03-03-2006, 07:49 AM
nd_s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tough choice there, decisions , decisions, i would go the two savage approach, but then thats me.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:46 AM
xXJustin_SaneXx

I wouldn't let things like a few small issues get in the way. Every new truck will have bugs issues to work out. Most so far on the X are farely minor and can be overcome or corrected with a little guidence from forums or your LHS. No major non corrective issues with the Savage X.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:01 AM
HerrSavage

But what ARE the issues?
Old 03-03-2006, 10:11 AM
Reppyboyo

Spurs get eaten very, very quickly.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:17 AM
HerrSavage

Even more than with the stock 25?? If that's the case, WHY is it so? Thanks..
Old 03-03-2006, 10:19 AM
HerrSavage

And do you still have to take the whole motor out to replace the spurs?...
Old 03-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Longhair

Another problem with the Savage X is that HPI hasn't released the replacement parts.

You are better off waiting a year or so before getting the Savage X because parts will be all over the place and the price will drop.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Reppyboyo

No, you just need to remove the roll bar ( 4 screws for the bar, 1 that holds the exhaust in place to get to 2 screws for the roll bar), remove two screws from the top of the gearbox and lift it off.
From here you can change the spur easily.

I dont know why its eating spurs, Ive gone through 2 myself and thankfully Mirage are sending a replacement.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:35 AM
HerrSavage

Longhair, are you one of these Europeans who has something against HPI and has to be on the MTA4 bandwagon? But come on - wait a year?.. I want one this weekend!..
Old 03-03-2006, 10:43 AM
HerrSavage

A lot of Germans are like that anyway, and it's annoying. I think an MTA4 beat a Savage in a race somewhere, and cuz it's €40 cheaper a lot of people in Germany seem to love the MTA4 and feel compelled to badmouth the Savage. I'm not making this up - I was lectured by the guy at the LHS the other day - who obviously disdains the likes o f me - somebody who just wants to have FUN and not take the fun out of something by taking it WAY too seriously(like the Germans who show up at a go-kart track dressed like Michael Schumacher and wielding GPRS speed-guns or whatever...) - that America is just a "Spassgesellschaft", implying that the people aren't serious enough and just want to drive around in parking lots - which is exactly what I want to do with my new on-roader/that's what we were talking about). I think the concept of bashing(i.e. just having fun..) is alien to people like him(and there seem to be a lot of people like that in Germany..) He does sell the Savage BTW, but only to make money. You can tell he looks down on the whole concept. A Savage, being the ultimate basher, is for fun after all...
Old 03-03-2006, 11:03 AM
HerrSavage

I just read on another forum that the problem is just the mesh from the factory. I guess that means, redo the mesh and you're good to go?.............
Old 03-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Byte the dust

i was checking yesterday hpi site and i downloaded the three savage manual (savage 25, savage 4.6 and savage x) and if you take a closer look on the transmission assembly you will see that the shaft PN/86089 it is the same in those 3 trucks (this is the one who carry the spur gear) so thats mean that you can use the whole set of spur gear of old trucks even you can put the metal set, but you have to change everything (the hub, pads and gear).

here you have some stuff

this is the page where is the shaft (bottom of the page) of savage 25
http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/in...25/S25_P28.jpg

this is the stock spur gear
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFKM1&P=ML

or you can use this one
http://www.hpiracing.com/Merchant2/m...Category_Code=
Old 03-03-2006, 05:50 PM
xXJustin_SaneXx

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

But what ARE the issues?
Best thing you can do is start reading.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3914271/tm.htm
Old 03-04-2006, 04:36 AM
HerrSavage

I HAVE BEEN reading, but there's just so much. Was just hoping to have a quick list of the X's problem areas..
Old 03-04-2006, 10:22 AM
xXJustin_SaneXx

The only problem areas that are really worth noting are...

- spur gear explodes or strips easily if not meshed correctly. (Not everyone is having that problem but alot are.) Actual replacements are not available. You'll have to go to the Savage 25 setup or look at one of the other options posted on the thread.

- The rotostart II that comes with the X has had a few issues with the internal gear stripping out. (I had this problem) HPI said they are mailing me replacements...haven't seen it
yet.

- The body rides high if using the optional engine guard. There are a few people that came up with their own ways of making it work. Some look pretty cool.

- During break-in, problems with the engine revving like mad...both the high speed and idle adjustment need to be richened waaaaay back. If following the instruction manual on break in procedures, then the engine may idle very hot...270-315 had been reported by some. Outside temps ranged between 30 and 70 deg. After running an few tanks most bugs seemed to work themselves out. (Growing pains?)

- Posts missing from the front and rear body mounts both left and right sides. Not everyone had ts problem some were only missing one or too. It didn’t seem to effect the truck much. Believed to just provide support or used during manufacturing. Can be easily replaced by screws as posted in above thread.

- As with any RTR check all screws and gear mesh. Read the entire directions prior to use.

Better?

Old 03-04-2006, 11:56 AM
Chooglin

In my opinion all of the MT'S can be high maintanance if you let them be. The best thing to do before you even fire the thing up is go thru a list of things that need to be checked.

1) all screws and bolts (use thread lock if needed) http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTX54&P=7

2)check gear mesh on spur gear http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lan...n-spur_gap.asp

3)make sure the servos are aligned and adjusted properly (its best if you can get everything set from the neutral position on the trims)
http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lan...nter-servo.asp

4)re-glue tires

5) check fuel lines and pressure line for holes or cuts

6)adjust breaks (I prefer to set it so the truck wont flip at full break)

7) set the tow in with the turnbuckles (1 degree is a nice setting)

8)set proper tension on slipper clutch

these are a few things I can think of off the top of my head.If anyone else has any thing to add, feel free.

this site http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/ has tons of info on many brands of truck and its help me out alot .

Old 03-04-2006, 02:39 PM
HerrSavage

Jeeze!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just bought one without thinking I would win the auction...................... Prob gonna resell it - but got a decent deal - about €80 less than normal price.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Longhair

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

Longhair, are you one of these Europeans who has something against HPI and has to be on the MTA4 bandwagon? But come on - wait a year?.. I want one this weekend!..
What are you talking about?

I have nothing against HPI.

I was saying that there are no replacement parts that have been shipped yet so when something breaks, unless you get really creative, you are not able to get a direct replacement.

Now what I meant by saying that you should wait a year is this:

All the hype will have passed and so will the inflated prices, aftermarket parts will be everywhere, the problems of a new design will have been discovered and fixed.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:21 PM
HerrSavage

Sorry for the tirade, but sometimes SOME Germans get me worked up (NOT that you're German - I mean in general... Just surrounded by a certain kind of mentality here that gets on my nerves. No offense to you - sorry.)

But it's not really a "new design" is it? I think I'm gonna resell it. I took my old 25 out today, and it was simply awesome. The thing is a tank, and just keeps going. I put 25 weight oil in the shocks last night, and now I can do two wheel circles all day. Got a lot of oohs and aahs at the park. I love my Savage.

Instead of a Savage X the idea of the LST2 is creeping up on me. Saw some quite good bashing videos. And like I said, I already have a Savage that I love.....