Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage 4.6 or Savage X?

Old 03-31-2006, 05:25 PM
viper21
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage 4.6 or Savage X?

Hi guys, is there much difference between the Savage X and the Savage 4.6 kit other than you need to build the 4.6? Because I already have my radio gear and I would like to build my own truck. I went on HPI's website and I cant see any differences in the trucks other than the 4.6 has a larger engine. I thought I would ask since I am not into MT's yet but I really want the 4.6 so that I can install my own radio and also some hop up like threaded shocks and other parts(Any reccomendations of which parts I should upgrade?) I will probably install a 3 speed tranny and reverse module so I would like to do it as I build the truck, I really hate to break down a RTR truck to install my own radio and transmission?
Thanks Very Much
Viper
Old 03-31-2006, 07:50 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Savage 4.6 or Savage X?

Hi viper, almost exactly the same truck but ill give you the differences.

1. Different radio cover for X.
2. X has a lowered chassis by like 5-10mm.

That pretty much sums it up so in your case, id get the 4.6 and use the old radio gear.[8D]

Tom
Old 03-31-2006, 07:56 PM
rcmonster27

i would stick with the 4.6 very powerful,dependable especialy if you got good raidio gear already. i have the 4.6 with 9 gallons through it and no rebuilds and she still wheelies on command. i suggest u get a wheelie bar. hpi makes one and thier only 20 bucks. stick with my suggestions. its also fun 2 build!! later man
Old 03-31-2006, 08:42 PM
viper21

Thanks, Rcnitrohead and RCmonster27 I pretty much thought the same thing about the two trucks. I have an Airtronics M8 and a couple of RX's and two new high torque Hitec servos but I can get better servos if needed.
Thanks again Viper
Old 04-01-2006, 01:14 AM
dirtsquirt

I would also have to recommend the 4.6, I built mine a few months ago and am very happy with it. The 4.6 mill is a breeze to tune and has boatloads of power. However I was dissatisfied with the brakes so I did the ofna throttle and brake mod it's much better now. Also I would suggest using a hump pack and install a charge jack because your'e not going to like trying to get the cover back on the battery box
Enjoy your new truck !
Old 04-01-2006, 02:08 AM
viper21

Thanks much Bro44us, I am getting the 4.6 . How do you like the 3 speed transmisson I would like to get one and thought I should buy it with the truck so I dont need to tear down the truck again to install it?
Thanks for the battery trick I have some 1100 2/3 AR Cells that are left over electric plane cells and I can build a pack. I will post some pics when she is built and still new.
Viper
Old 04-08-2006, 11:38 PM
viper21

Thanks Guys, I am going to order my new Savage SS 4.6 Monday I am also getting the three speed transmission upgrade kit since I will be building the truck and a reverse module. I am thinking about getting a set of threaded shocks does anyone have any suggestion on which type to buy? Also can you guys think of upgrades I should install as I build the truck to make it more durable?
I really appreciate the help
Thanks Viper
Old 04-09-2006, 12:17 AM
ener

well supposing that both trucks came disambled and both with servos and that stuff, wich one would you prefer?
Old 04-09-2006, 09:20 PM
glock_19

Based on your hypothetical question, If they were both available in KIT form I would still get the 4.6. A number of parts are upgraded in addition to the bigger engine. You would have to pay extra for the upgrades and I am not sure the lower CG of the X will do a whole lot for cornering ability to outweigh the 4.6 upgrades. Besides you can buy the lower CG stuff for the 4.6 as well.

I just got thru break-in on my 4.6SS and started to tune her up... OMG she runs like a scalded dog. Nice smoke with temps around 230°F She is already popping wheelies. However, since I don't need to pull wheelies, I will be upgrading to a larger clutch bell soon to get higher top speed.

Glock
Old 04-09-2006, 09:49 PM
viper21

Too cool Glock, my truck should really move with the three speed transmission There is a good article in Apri's RC Driver showing how to install the upgrade when you build the transmission and it gives u the part numbers for the conversion kit and for the reverse module.
Thanks Viper