Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic > WildHare R/C Support
Reload this Page >

Dhahran Saudi Arabia - Extra 300LX Flies

Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Dhahran Saudi Arabia - Extra 300LX Flies

Old 06-03-2006, 02:28 AM
monsenrm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dhahran Saudi Arabia - Extra 300LX Flies

I'm guessing this is the first WildHare flying in Saudi....

As you can see from the pics, the canopy is different along with the black on the top. The reason is that the original canopy was warped when I received the kit. Tom sent me a new one to my Chicago address. I took it to Saudi and when I got around to putting on the canopy I discovered it was too small! It must have been for an Edge or something. Well rather then waiting for a canopy to be shipped from the US I decided to modify the top a little to accomodate the shorter canopy. I think it looks OK.

The plane is powered by a DA-50. I also carbon fibered almost everthing I could: gear, spar tube, stab tube, spinner, tail wheel bracket, etc. The plane weighs just under 15lbs dry - so I am very pleased It is real sweet in the air.

We fly off of hard compacted sand (sabhka) but have to contend with a few rocks too. The major problem we have here is heat. Even in the morning the temps will be over 100degF before 8:00am. That Ultrakote really starts sagging....

More images here:[link]http://monsens.smugmug.com/gallery/1518413/1/72939042[/link]

If you want to see a little more about flying in Saudi visit here:
[link]http://wright-flyer.net/desertaviation[/link]

Ron Monsen

Old 06-03-2006, 08:08 AM
srm99

Default RE: Dhahran Saudi Arabia - Extra 300LX Flies

NICE set up
u have a da 50 i hear
what servos do u have for elevator and did u have to put your batterys up near the front firewall for cg
i have same plane and i am changing to a da 50 any advice for balance like what batterys and where u placed stuff to get good cg
Old 06-03-2006, 03:26 PM
papadale
My Feedback: (6)

I agree the canopy does look good. At 15 lbs that plane should rock. The pictures look neat. Give us a flight report and vid if possible. Watch out for the bad guys over there.

Good luck
Dale
Old 06-03-2006, 03:40 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know that flat black in front of the pilot looks pretty neat.

TF
Old 06-04-2006, 01:04 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm almost close enough to drop by and shoot some flight pictures. I do fully understand the heat problem. If only the schedule would permit. Good job and enjoy!!
Old 06-04-2006, 03:56 PM
SENZA

Looks great with the carbon on it,thats it im ordering mine from TBM. That does look good with the canopy!
Old 06-04-2006, 06:12 PM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

Sweet!
Old 06-06-2006, 01:14 PM
monsenrm

Thanks for the kudos and comments guys...

I'll fill you in with a couple more details and pics.

Here is the canopy before I "fixed" it:

I put in a cannister muffler. Instead of having the exhaust forward of the gear by moving the gear back - I moved the cannister back. When you do that it sticks out of the bottom of the plane slightly because on the 300LX the spar tube is a little low. Anyway I made a "cover" out of scrap balsa that is a venetian blind type. (More pics at the main link at bottom)

Since it is so dang hot here - cooling is always a concern. I am a big believer in proper ducting on engine cooling. Air tends to want to flow in the mode of least resistance - normally bypassing things you want cooled. It is best to push it around the cylinder head and the allow a large area for it to leave. On my model I created baffles to force the air to the head and the through the bottom of the plane - over the muffler and out the venetian vent. I also added a small hole in the baffle to run cool air to the firewall so the carb sees nice fresh air. It works fine!

All servos that drive flight surfaces are Hitec 5945MG Digital ones. I also use a Troybuiltmodels Lithium battery for power. It is lighter then a Ni-MH even with the regulator - which is from MPI and actually part of the switch. The engine battery is a traditional 1700mah Ni-mh battery pack. I did that because I need a little more weight up front and I can charge both batteries at the same time. If I had two Lithiums I would have to do it one at a time....

There are a few more pics at hi resolution and more angles here:
http://monsens.smugmug.com/gallery/1518413

-Ron

Old 06-08-2006, 11:02 AM
RustyTumbles

What type of header are you using with the DA? Does it have any drop in it or is it a striaght back to centre wrap around?? I'm about to start putting one together and need to know what type of header to order..

cheers

Rusty
Old 06-14-2006, 06:42 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Hey MonsenRM are you in the military or a contractor, or what, just curious, and the plane is cool,,,, I wish you could get some close up pics of the baffling,,,