Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Which Engine for DR Hobbies Extra

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!
View Poll Results: A poll
3W 106 Competition Series
18.18%
BME 110/115
22.73%
DA 100
54.55%
Kroma 100
4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Which Engine for DR Hobbies Extra

Old 06-05-2006, 06:57 PM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Engine for DR Hobbies Extra

I've pretty much decided that I'm going to get a DR Hobbies Extra for my next plane. What I haven't decided on is what engine to put in it. Here are my choices and feel free to vote for which one you think I should go with.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which Engine for DR Hobbies Extra

The plane, set up properly, will end up light enough for any of those engines. I'm very happy with my DA on my Comp-ARF Extra.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Young-RCPilot

But now the question is Comp-Arf or DR Hobbies??? I think even the new ZDZ 80 would be better cause of its weight but if not go with the DA there so easy to set up and have good power.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The blade spars can be a pain to install and remove at the field. A wing tube makes life a little easier when putting the plane together. I think the plane would fly well with a good 80cc single, but at Ben's elevation a 100 is probably a better bet.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:08 PM
ben beyer

I would've put the 3W 80 and the ZDZ 80 on the list, but like you said, I need the power. I'm currently leaning towards the BME because of it's weight and power, but you just can't beat the customer service and reliability of a DA.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:41 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Ben--I currently have a Comp-Arf 2.6 Extra with a BME 110. With out wheel pants and running Nimh's it weighs 22.5 lbs. Although I am not that good of a pilot, people that are much better than I tell me it is spectacular. To me it flies like a big foamie and will not break out of any maneuver I have tried. The pull out from a hover is rocket like, well I can't hover for more than a hand full of seconds any way, but the plane will fly straight up as fast as level. I have flown a few other heavy planes and I always try to keep them as light as possible, they just fly better, or at least for me. Two pounds lighter is 2 pounds better in my book.
I have had great customer service from Keith too.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:07 PM
ben beyer

I used to live near China Springs and we used to play them in sports in school. I know a lot of people that are really impressed with the BME. Currently, the BME and DA are the top two on my list. But I have a 3W now to and that's a great engine as well.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:43 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

There are a lot of good engines out there and you can't go wrong with any of the top brands. I went for the lightest one possible and have not regretted it. The 110 is lighter than most if not all of the single 80's.
I doubt anybody can beat DA's service, but I had some work done by Keith and it was back in 7-9 working days.

As for Comp-Arf or DR, go with either one. I just wish DR would come out with more schemes and a white only plane too.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:50 PM
ben beyer

I like the DR mainly because of the wing tube. They're the same plane except other than that. Plus I know Max Blose pretty well and I can give Todd some business. Since this is a project i'm going to work on at my parents house, I can get the DR tax free since i'm out of state and I'll just pick it up from Todd himself. That way I don't have to pay shipping either and there's less chance of damage occuring.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:44 PM
greyhound man
My Feedback: (5)

I thought that Comp Arf was switching their models to use wing tubes instead of the blade spars. I know the MX2 and 260 both use tubes