Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Tuning the HPI 25

Old 11-20-2006, 07:54 PM
RCCanuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning the HPI 25

hey everyone...I recentley picked up a Savage Roller...I have now bolted in an HPI 25....set the mesh locktighted the engine mount screws,,,hooked up the throttle servo and linkage....well I fired it up and it runs decent(on bench) but will need some fine tuning....anyway that is what brings me to my Q's

the engine is used and broken in properly I'm told....so I need to make sure my needles are close..I can tune it from there...so where should they be on a broken in .25????

I live in Ontario Canada and its about -5 to + 5 C these days and getting ready to snow..

next...anyone got any good advice about setting up the steering on these Savages...I have installed a hitec645 to steer but it seems the servo saver is too loose...I know tighten it....but my Q is do you have to pull the front apart to get at it....

sorry I'm new to this truck and could use some good advice no smartypants please I get enough of that from my 3 kids....

RCCanuck
Old 11-20-2006, 08:14 PM
benzzyo5

Default RE: Tuning the HPI 25

se the needles back to the factory settings. since it's cold. wrap the head in foil and put a sock over it. then tune it. make sure your not leaning it out to much u can damage the engine. on the servo saveer, yes thats what i di d i toook off the fron end to tighten it. but there can be some other way, if sombody posts it
Old 11-21-2006, 07:31 AM
RCCanuck

I believe the factory settings for a broken in engine would be too rich....I was looking to start with how some people have their needles set in a simalar environment on a broken in .25

oh well i will try and get out today with it.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:45 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: RCCanuck

I believe the factory settings for a broken in engine would be too rich....I was looking to start with how some people have their needles set in a simalar environment on a broken in .25

oh well i will try and get out today with it.
Yes, factory wettings will be rich. That's the idea. To give you a known starting point. From there you can lean the engine out to it's correct tune.
What my needles or anyone else's are set at mean nothing relitive to what your settings are/will be. For one thing the temperture was in the 70's the last time I ran my Savage and you're near freezing, that matters a lot to these engines.
So, like benz said, reset to factory settings and tune from there.
Also, here are a couple of videos that should help you with tuning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSmMzpZM_As
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJFsJAxNoRg

If those don't work just go to YouTube and do a search for "rc tuning" or "nitro rc tuning"

Easy to find and very helpful.