Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Any Brison 5.8 owners?

Old 12-07-2006, 05:39 PM
bzyguy01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Brison 5.8 owners?

I have a 5.8 Brison brand new with electronic ignition and want to put it into a 35% Sukoi by Wild Hare. I have asked the question a few times and gotten some responses that are telling me to get rid of the engine. Here's the deal. Reliable resources tell me that the motor is a real SHAKER and vibrates to all get out. Is this really that bad? If it was this bad...why even produce and sell em? My current resources tell me that the Brison is moderate weight,Good Power, High Vibration. The resources are very trusted resources and I respect their input but will I be as dissapointed as they claim? I want a brison users/owners input here. Will it work without KILLING my new Sukoi? Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Shayne
Old 12-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Any Brison 5.8 owners?

Hi Shayne, back in September I lost my Brison 5.8 powered Ziroli Corsair at Bomber Field after about 100 flights. The engine was totaled. I do have to say that was one of the best large gassers that I've owned. It was extremely reliable and powerful. Of course I was using it in a heavier air frame (35 lbs) than you will be but I never noticed excessive vibration. Don't ever let anyone tell you that a twin doesn't vibrate. The more powerful they are, the more the power impulse shakes the plane. This is even more noticeable on the light weight twins.

If I were in your shoes and had that plane and engine I would definitely try it. Just be sure to check it often until you feel that the vibration is not a big issue. Get some tied down, cowl off, ground running time on the engine and plane before you fly it.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:00 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your 5.8 will fly the Sukhoi just fine. The difference in vibration levels between a big twin and a big single is noticable, but it's not going to tear apart the plane. I flew one of the prototypes and it will be fine. Later, when the funds and opportunity are there, invest in a big twin. You'll like the difference, and the difference in the power pulses as well when it's running.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:01 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: bzyguy01

I have a 5.8 Brison brand new with electronic ignition and want to put it into a 35% Sukoi by Wild Hare. I have asked the question a few times and gotten some responses that are telling me to get rid of the engine. Here's the deal. Reliable resources tell me that the motor is a real SHAKER and vibrates to all get out. Is this really that bad? If it was this bad...why even produce and sell em? My current resources tell me that the Brison is moderate weight,Good Power, High Vibration. The resources are very trusted resources and I respect their input but will I be as dissapointed as they claim? I want a brison users/owners input here. Will it work without KILLING my new Sukoi? Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Shayne
Lemme guess:

The guys telling you the Brison is junk are flying DA twins or 3W twins.

BLAH BLAH BLAH Ford Chevy

Put that sucker in there and fly it. It'll be totally fine.

I have a 110cc conversion engine that came out of a Stihl cut-off saw. It's got C&H synchrospark ignition. I had probably 10 guys tell me it wasn't worth converting because it would shake ANY airframe to pieces inside of 5 flights. Well, I converted it and got it running. It puts out good power and actually turns up more RPM than the 100cc twins. It WAS shaking a bit when I first built it, but one of the guys on RCU told me to adjust my timing and now it purrs like a kitten. I had the timing too cold at 26* BTDC. I bumped it up to 30* BTDC, leaned the low end needle and went from a 27-10 up to a 28-12 prop. Bingo Bango--smooth as a 91 4-stroke glow engine. [sm=lol.gif]

The only way to find out if you'll like it is to just do it. 99% of what you hear at the field is total BS. People just talking out of their butt and haven't actually DONE it themselves. Brand loyal sheep who think that anything they aren't flying is junk.

I want to build the 35% Lanier Giles 202 kit for my Stihl. I have no worries about it shaking the plane apart. With a 28-12 Menz S at 6800RPM--it will be rediculously overpowered.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:55 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does that mean that I get to keep my 35% W/H Giles? OK, I was a little hesitant about selling it anyway since it's the last of it's kind

Most singles will out turn a twin of comparitive size. They are lighter as well due to the reduction in cylinder count.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:42 PM
bzyguy01

Well after much thought and all the research and Threads I can handle....I'm gonna give it a try. I don't doubt that a nice 3W or DA or that killer BME Extreme wouldn't be the ticket but I gotta weigh the pros and cons. The Brison sounds like it's a nice powerful workhorse thats not afraid to stand the test of time. My main concerns were more for the life of the airframe and electronics life. I'm not afraid to spend the money but it doesn't make alot of sense to do so if it only gains me 5-10% extra life and reliability. Sounds like the Brison is plenty powerfull and reliable, but the vibration may take its toll later rather than sooner. So in it will go. I thank you all for your personal input and I can't wait till Tom gets the planes in!
Old 12-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Empennage Gunner
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Big_Bird

"I lost my Brison 5.8 powered Ziroli Corsair at Bomber Field after about 100 flights. The engine was totaled."
Ken,

I witnessed your Corsair "go in" and Bomber Field. Did you ever find out
what happened to her in the left turn? She flew like a bat-out-hell!
Old 12-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Skyflying1

"I lost my Brison 5.8 powered Ziroli Corsair at Bomber Field after about 100 flights. The engine was totaled."
Ken,

The only conclusion was that the receiver went deaf. It is a Hitec Supreme on 6 meters. On the up wind leg (south) a suddenly noticed a little miss in the engine so I put the gear down and made a turn to the north at about 150' altitude. As I started my left turn to base the plane turned slowly back to the north, rolled slowly on it's back and went straight down. The wreckage with the exception of the engine and firewall which was about 20' away was contained in about a 10' diameter circle.

When I got home I plugged the receiver, battery, and all servos up. Of course they worked. Upon range test the receiver had less than 100' of range instead of the usual 400' plus. Possibly the ceramic filter in the receiver died. I just don't know. There is a lot to say for installing redundant receivers in a plane. I did have redundant batteries and switch harnesses. They were OK. Here are the last photo made just before the crash. A friend got it all on tape. Strangely enough, not a single servo was damaged.

There was one bright spot, It didn't hit any thing or any body.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44584.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	573821  
Old 12-08-2006, 02:48 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Skyflying1

Ken,

The only conclusion was that the receiver went deaf. It is a Hitec Supreme on 6 meters. On the up wind leg (south) a suddenly noticed a little miss in the engine so I put the gear down and made a turn to the north at about 150' altitude. As I started my left turn to base the plane turned slowly back to the north, rolled slowly on it's back and went straight down. The wreckage with the exception of the engine and firewall which was about 20' away was contained in about a 10' diameter circle.

When I got home I plugged the receiver, battery, and all servos up. Of course they worked. Upon range test the receiver had less than 100' of range instead of the usual 400' plus. Possibly the ceramic filter in the receiver died. I just don't know. There is a lot to say for installing redundant receivers in a plane. I did have redundant batteries and switch harnesses. They were OK. Here are the last photo made just before the crash. A friend got it all on tape. Strangely enough, not a single servo was damaged.

There was one bright spot, It didn't hit any thing or any body.
I lost a plane with a Supreme receiver also. Was in a spin and it went to full throttle, straight into the ground.