Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Discovery Jet Flies!!! Maiden Flight

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Discovery Jet Flies!!! Maiden Flight

Old 01-05-2007, 06:06 PM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery Jet Flies!!! Maiden Flight

Well I got 2 flights on the Discovery today. I was very nervous for the first flight and after a good range test I lined it up at the end of the runway. Advanced the throttle and the nose started to get light and I fed in elevator. Up, Up and away the Discovery went. Controls were solid and after backing down on the throttle I had to add 4 or 5 clicks of up elevator and 3 clicks of right ailerons.

It grooved along really well in the pattern and after about 4 minutes I decided to bring it in for a landing attempt. First attempt was with full flaps and it wanted to float on by. I had to abort. Second attempt I came in further out and lower. It was a little more managable but still not under control. I managed to eat up most of the runway before setting it down. But hey it was still in one piece and the maiden flight was over.

After relaxing a bit and recharging the batteries I was ready to refuel and make my second flght of the day. This time around I wanted to get a feel for slow flight with the Discovery so almost the entire flight was flown with full flaps and about 1/8 throtttle. It flew around like a standard 40 size sport plane in that configuration. After the clock hit 4 minutes I started to setup for a fly by landing attempt. Still in the same configuration I pull out about 2 clicks of the throttle stick as I crossed over the runway. I wanted to get a feel for sink rate. Powered back up to 1/8 as I approached the end of the runway. The next go around would be a full stop landing. The Discovery tracked nicely and the controls felt solid in the slow flight configuration. On final I reduce the power a tad and once I knew I would make the runway I pull the power out. Probably not a good idea because the Discovery just fell out of the sky about 2 to 3 feet high and about the same short of the runway. Once thing I noticed is that I ran out of elevator (I had been flying on low rates). So I plan on making an adjustment on the elevator rate for low rate, and then plan on keeping a tad of power until touch down.

So overall feeling on the Discovery jet...a winner hands down!!! Next time out I will try and capture some video and pictures. I forgot the camera so I don't have any pictures. But I do have a wittness to the 2 flights as my flying buddy Chuck was there for moral support and to calm my nerves a bit. Thanks Chuck!
Old 01-05-2007, 06:25 PM
limeybob
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Discovery Jet Flies!!! Maiden Flight

Congratulations, let's see some pics.
Got any build pics?
Bob
Old 01-05-2007, 06:39 PM
Boomerang1

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats, one of the most underated jets available! [sm=thumbs_up.gif] The composite crowd all bag it's looks but it's what's underneath that counts & it's a good, solid, easy to fly jet. If you are a 'build it yourself' kind of guy like me there's really only a couple of models to choose from. Has anyone thought of a moulded hatch/nose with canopy to dress it up a bit? - John.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:14 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Congrats, JR!!!

Wish I had known you were going to fly, I could have offered moral support also.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:28 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

now we are going to send a PM to the 2 witness to see if you are telling the truth....

well done JR, congrats.. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Enrique
Old 01-06-2007, 11:52 AM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, JR doesn't know the name of the OTHER alleged witness, but I saw him fly and land it twice (there you owe me $5, JR), if you could call them landings...

It really does fly well, like a pattern plane and even though it was designed around a 12 pound turbine, JR's 22 pounder seemed "right" for it still - it flys on the wing. Flys both fast and will really slow down nicely. He's as giddy as school girl now...

Congradulations JR !