Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Need Help Deciding.....

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Need Help Deciding.....

Old 02-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Sherpa FE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Deciding.....

I am getting back into the hobby, and I am looking for a sport trainer to learn knife edges, inverted flight, and what not. I have been looking at the Ultra Sport, Four *, and the Ultra Stick.
Also looking for something in an ARF, I do not have time to build a complete kit yet.
Anyways I am looking for suggestions, and hints.
Thanks in advance
Josh
Old 02-17-2007, 07:47 PM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Need Help Deciding.....

The Ultra Stick is a great sport flyer but not so great for knife edge and any type of precision maneuvers, but it is fun to play with the flaps & crow aileron feature.

Probably hard to go wrong with a Four Star for what you want to accomplish, and the Sig ARF's are nice.
The Goldberg Tiger II is also very nice.

Welcome back tp the hobby!
Old 02-17-2007, 11:35 PM
alan0899

G'day Mate,
Check out this Yak, I just finished one, maidened today, see pix,
I put an OS 61FX in it, because I had one, swinging an APC 13x6, on the second flight I was doing knife edge circles, with no coupling, only need 1/2 throttle, it is really a nice flying, but cheap, plane. http://www.nitroplanes.com/yak523d5056n.html
It would fly fine with a good 46.
I'm using my DX7 in it, perrrfect.
Check out the review, here, http://www.toprc.com.au/webshop/prod...products_id/88
& follow the suggestions, if ya get one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60230.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	623927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91421.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	623928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13289.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	623929  
Old 02-18-2007, 01:47 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

An entry-level sport/pattern airframe could be a great choice for you if you already have some sport plane/low-wing trainer time under your belt. There are a number of very good sport/pattern ARFs in the $99 to $160 price range:

Phoenix Models SeaBee
Great Planes Venus .40
World Models Groovy 50 F3A
CMPro Quest .50
CMPro Magpie .50
World Models Aeropet .50
Black Horse Models Homerun
Thunder Tiger Imagine 50

These kinds of planes are more aerobatic than the Four Star or Ultra Stik. The Ultrasport is a great choice, but not available in an ARF. A Great Planes Super Sportster .40 ARF would be a good choice, too.

The pattern ships will need to be landed under a little bit of power, but like a typical low-wing trainer they don't usually tip stall like most scale aerobatic planes tend to do. If you want to practice aerobatics, you'll have a ball with these airframes. They fly inverted and knife edge extremely well. They roll on axis very nicely, and snap rolls are easy to perform as well. I'm surprised that more sport flyers don't have these in their hangars.

The Phoenix Models SeaBee is $99.99 from Tower Hobbies and flies very well with a .46 2-stroke ball-bearing engine. It's an easy-to-assemble ARF and it's surprisingly high quality for its price. You can't compete in pattern contests with it much past the Sportsman level, but it's probably one of the best sport plane values on the face of the Earth.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:59 AM
Sherpa FE

Thanks for all the replys, I was looking at some other posts and came across a list of airplanes, and found this one, its a little more expensive than the YAK, but it looks good.
Has anyone flown this one? I have read the reviews and it looks just about what I am looking for.
Again Thanks for the replys.
It is good to be back in the hobby, even if my wife is a little less than enthusiasistic. I would normally build but, I am deploying again to Iraq in a year, so I want to fly again before I leave, so ARF is the way to go.
I was looking at the DX7 as a radio and an OS .46 AX for the engine.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...fm?kit_id=4365
Old 02-18-2007, 09:57 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enthusiastically endorse the above recommendation for the Venus. It has a lot of value for the price, especially if you can take advantage of a Tower discount coupon. It almost requires an inverted engine mount, but if you have an OS that shouldn't be a problem.