Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas engine power calculator?

Old 03-01-2007, 09:13 PM
glover1482

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas engine power calculator?

In order to evaluate drive combinations for my electric powered toys, I use MotoCalc. With it I can input model characteristics like weight, airfoil, wingspan, etc.; and then simulate various motor, battery, gearbox, and props to get a relatively good idea of the flight performance I should expect. Is there a similar piece of software available for gas engine powered toys?

Since it is the only gas engine powered sport pylon racer kit I've been able to locate, I am looking to build a Lanier Dominator 1500... not to race, but to go fast and therefore place a nice wide grin on my face. I've been looking at various engines like those from MVVS, DA, Brillelli, ZDZ, etc. in sizes ranging from 25cc to 60cc I just cannot determine which engine and prop combination will get the Dominator 1500 above the 120MPH range. (I'd like to get 150MPH.)

How do I drive a Lanier Dominator 1500 to 150MPH? And if not this gasoline powered toy at 150MPH; then which one, powered how? I'd love to go with a turbine powered toy, but that is outside of my budget.

Thanks for your input.

Fly safe, Glover
Old 03-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Gas engine power calculator?

My totally biased opinion is that if you want to go fast--you need to turn RPM. RPM makes power, and that is most especially true in this particular situation.

Get a G-62 or a Sachs based engine in the 4.0--4.5 cubic inch size and have it lightened by RCIGN1. Have him put an electronic ignition system on it. Put a little prop on it with a bunch of pitch--like a 14 or 18 pitch. Ralph knows which one to use on a G-62 and he also knows what to put on a bigger Sachs engine. Let that sucker wind up. Let it scream. You can run these "chainsaw" engines at 8000RPM+ all day long for years and they just get better and better.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talk to Ralph Cunningham at RC Ignition. Racing is one of his more passionate pursuits and he should be able to steer you in the right direction, regardless of engine type or size.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:10 PM
glover1482

So, how do I factor in something like weight; for instance a Brillelli 50 weighs about 20 ounces less than a G62? It might not turn the same prop as efficiently, but has a weight advantage.

Fly safe, Glover
Old 03-01-2007, 11:29 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: glover1482

So, how do I factor in something like weight; for instance a Brillelli 50 weighs about 20 ounces less than a G62? It might not turn the same prop as efficiently, but has a weight advantage.

Fly safe, Glover
Well, weight really has almost no bearing on straight line speed. Once you get cooking, induced drag is almost nil and certainly can be neglected for your plans. However, weight IS an issue regarding high G turns, balancing the aircraft and wing loading (which affects the slow speed manners and landing characteristics of your plane).

If the 1500 has 1500sqin of wing as I expect, then a G-62 is not at all too big. You really should contact Ralph (RCIGN1 on RCU) and talk to him about it. He has a wealth of tuning knowledge from giant scale racing and will be able to point you in the right direction.

150mph is smoking fast for something like the Dominator 1500, you may find it a serious challenge to get there. If you are hung up on gas, then go for it. The cheapest, easiest route to speed fun is a quickie 500 airframe like the Dominator 500 with a hot 45-50 on it. A Q500 and a good 45 with a Jett thrust muffler will get you easily over 120mph, which is hauling for a small plane like that. Adding a Jett 50 or 60 (especially the 60LX) will easily get you over 150mph with a simple, turn-key setup.

Mark
Old 03-01-2007, 11:39 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: glover1482

Fly safe, Glover
A G-62 really is about the smallest thing I'd put on this plane. After RCIGN works his magic on it--it won't be 20 ounces heavier than the 50cc. It might be 2 or maybe 4 ounces heavier--but it will turn a LOT mmore prop. A LOT more.

If you want to go fast, I think your going to need more than a G-62 though. As much as I like the Zenoah, I went and looked at the specs on the plane. I think your going to need something in the 70-80cc range if you REALLY want to go fast with this airframe. Get a chainsaw conversion engine with electronic ignition or a big Sachs like the 4.2

Quadra 75? Just have it lightened and put an electronic ignition on it. That should get ya moving.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:32 AM
Scott Ellingson
My Feedback: (146)

To get a G62 anywere close to 60oz will be about impossable, even for Ralph. That is unless you don't count the muffler

The kit says up to a 4.2. How about a GT 80? From what I hear they use them quite a bit for racing and they do very well. It is a little over 4.2, but the chances of hitting your target speed may be better. A nice smooth twin may be the ticket on that plane.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:33 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

We have been using stock G62s for about 15 years on 25 lb AT6s....Our best speed is around 130 mph..
We race the Lanier Dominators using Moki 2.1s, I don't know if anyone has clocked one, but they might go 120 mph with that engine...there was some talk about trying G62s, and maybe a few built and tested, don't know...
Our stock engine Formula One racers use GT80s, the speed is about 145 mph...
The Lanier Dominator might not stay together if you got one to go 150 mph, and would be a flying brick with an engine that would do it...
150 mph on a large plane requires an engine that will turn above 10,000 with a 16 pitch prop...
Give the guys at Lanier a call, maybe they have tried it, Bubba won the T6 class at Madera many years ago...[8D]
Old 03-02-2007, 09:57 AM
glover1482

Thanks to all of you for your replys... a second fuselage and engine does sound a big grin maker.

Fly safe, Glover