Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Mixing Fuel, What Are You Measuring With

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Mixing Fuel, What Are You Measuring With

Old 03-25-2003, 08:02 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixing Fuel, What Are You Measuring With

What are some of the ways you guys proportion your fuel to oil mixes. I don't have a graduated container or know if there is one available. I fill a one gallon container to what I feel is 128oz and then add the oil. Just wondering...
Old 03-25-2003, 09:53 PM
BigBird1
My Feedback: (4)

Always put the weeks left over fuel in the wife's pickup truck...
Put a new bottle (or bottles) of oil in a two gallon can, next time I fly, stop at the gas station, pump in two fresh gallons of gas...

Wally World sells a graduated cup for the oil....

2 cents worth...
Old 03-25-2003, 10:01 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

This sounds silly, but do you find the service station pump readouts to be accurate? Are they checked by the state Weights and Measures Department? Just thought a finer measurement was needed for our stuff_bob
Old 03-25-2003, 10:22 PM
BigBird1

I don't have a motor that would have to be that close...
Haven't burnt up one yet...from lack of oil...
If you see the seal on the pump it was tested and adjusted for output...But that could be years ago...I know that they have to do spot checks every so often..
But the again is anything that acurate. I'll bet if ya checked that if anything their falling a lil' short on a on a true gallon at the pump...
If it needs to be that close...check with a medical supply and see if you can get a graduated 1L beaker....or with a oil or gas supplier and see if they have a old or new graduated test jug they want to get rid of or sale...

4 cents this time..
Old 03-26-2003, 05:14 AM
Giant Scale

Your local motorcycle shop should have a measuring cup for this. I think its called a ratio right cup. The gas pump should be accurate enough for our type of measuring. Most gas pumps have a digital readout that will be more accurate than a graduated cylinder or volumetric flask. I'm pretty sure that pumps are regulated by the government, I know that the octane ratings on pumps are regulated by the state where I live.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:29 AM
Antique

Poulan oil from Wal Mart comes in a bottle with a small reservoir on top..Squeeze the bottle, oil fills up the reservoir, pour into a gallon, mixes automatically at 40-1.....
Old 03-26-2003, 08:22 AM
Mr T.

It doesn't need to be so accurate. Gasoline is major component in the mix and even if you have 10% inaccuracy it changes very little. And I seriously doubt it is that much, more like 2%, which in worst case scenario for 50:1 mix can produce 51:1 a very insignificant change.
What is important is to get an accurate oil measurement, and after that to make sure you put ALL of the measured oil into the gasoline, there is not so much to begin with and lots of it stays on measuring cup walls and that is I believe much greater source of inaccuracy than any gas pump meter.

Rest assured that any gas station would very soon correct their pump inaccuracy if it was giving out too much gas, so if it is wrong it is either very small error and it is probably in their favor meaning you get less gas and more oil in the mix.

Originally posted by bob_nj
This sounds silly, but do you find the service station pump readouts to be accurate? Are they checked by the state Weights and Measures Department? Just thought a finer measurement was needed for our stuff_bob
Old 03-26-2003, 11:57 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

Bob,
The pumps at the gas station are checked every so often with calibrated containers, done by Dept. of weights and measures.
No reputable station owner will tamper with his meters.

Sometimes there are stickers on the pump to tell you when they were checked.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:25 PM
BigBird1

Ahhhhhhhh, he days of watching the guy's (all dressed in white uniforms, big smile on their faces) pumping Ethal up into the big glass container on top of the pump so ya can see exactely how much ya was getting, the other guy jumping around washing the winshield, checking the tires,oil, and battery....
Oops, time to take my pills...come back to reality....

Being serious though...
Seems the only time that it would be really worried about is when someone was using an oil that can be mixed at 100 to 1.

Not that many independant stations around anymore...and I doubt that if most working their would really know how a gas pump works, except it turns on and off, read the numbers on the readout at the counter, take the money...and wouldn't know how to calibrate the pump to make it pump short...

6 cents..
Old 03-26-2003, 01:28 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Get all the oil

One step more....pour some of the gas in your oil container and place lid on it. Shake it to get what oil is left mixed with gas and pour it in your field gas can/container. That way you get all the oil into the mix. Capt,n no charge!!
Old 03-26-2003, 01:34 PM
OSilfa
My Feedback: (2)

I use the same cup of Giant scale ,for years ,but some times when i forget the cup i use a nursing bottle,you can get one of this in any place and is very accuracy.(I have one in car SUV)I always just mix for the flight day.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:54 PM
Mr T.

Default Re: Get all the oil

I thought about that but it ain't practical since I put the oil into container at home and then go to the gas station fill the rest and go to the field. I just use my index finger to scrape leftover oil off the walls.

In my previous post I didn't mean to say that pump owners deliberately tweak their meters to show more (give out less). I just wanted to say that they would not tolerate reverse situation for too long.

Anyway I bet there is always some gas leftover in the hose so we all end-up with a slightly richer mix.

Originally posted by captinjohn
One step more....pour some of the gas in your oil container and place lid on it. Shake it to get what oil is left mixed with gas and pour it in your field gas can/container. That way you get all the oil into the mix. Capt,n no charge!!
Old 03-26-2003, 04:35 PM
BigBird1

Default Re: Re: Get all the oil

In my previous post I didn't mean to say that pump owners deliberately tweak their meters to show more (give out less). I just wanted to say that they would not tolerate reverse situation for too long.

Oh, I knew that....
Just that it has been known to be done in my area, but years and years ago...
No offence intended to anyone, anywhere...
Old 03-26-2003, 05:03 PM
Jemo

A station owner can adjust his pump/meter to show more $$

But they are checked frequently therefore only the real dirt bags will chance it.

the next time you pump gas in your car check it to see if the $$ tallies with the gallons received.

EG:
price = 1.69 -9/10
Gal = 10
price should be 10 x 1.699 or $16.99
Old 03-26-2003, 05:40 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

I remember watching a story about an owner of a chain of gas stations (in NJ?) that rigged all his stations to shortchange his customers. He installed a switch behind the counter and instructed (intimidated) his employees to switch back to the accurate setting whenever they see someone gassing up a gallon container. People filling their automobile tanks get shafted because it's harder to know exact how much gas is pumped.

FWIW, I calculate and record gallons pumped and MPG everytime I gas up. It's still not a bullet proof way of guarding against being shortchanged at the pump, but at least I will learn to stay away from those gas stations, with whose gasoline I seem to get consistently less gas mileage.

Getting back on topic, For years I've been using measuring cups for cooking purposes for mixing auto paint ingredients - much more accuracy is require for that than mixing fuel. I use a combination of plastic and glass cups, and they both work well. I'm using the same types of cups for mixing glow fuel parts.

Gasoline oil mixture isn't all that critical, so I just rely on the gas station pump meter and the container size (1 gal.) to measure gasoline.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:22 AM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

As one who works on gas stations etc I can tell you that only certified techs can work on the pump itself which in NC is sealed and tagged to prevent tampering.
To get caught would shut you down and they do at least an annual calibration test as per the sticker on the pump.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:52 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I guess I am unique. I mix anywhere from 2 gallons to 5 gallons and it usually last me for several months. I am now looking for a 6 gallon marine tank. I think this will last me almost 6 months. Is there anything wrong with this?
Old 03-28-2003, 08:09 PM
OSilfa
My Feedback: (2)

Geistware,I don't know much about it, but for sure that the oil lost his properties with the time after you mix,I suggest to you mix maximum for two weekend.
Old 03-29-2003, 02:16 AM
Bob Pham

Default Syringe at Walmart

I picked up a syringe at Walmart in the automotive dept. It has no rubber stopper, just a squeaky fit. It is clearly marked with different ratios for mixing. It worked fine for me. Sure beat having to guess.
Old 03-29-2003, 02:21 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default oil & Gas

Use gas stabil...keeps your fuel good shape. Also carbs will not get gummed up. I think some oils have gas stabilizers added right in oil. capt,n
Old 03-29-2003, 02:24 AM
bdtsr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The oil will not lose it's "Quality" over time. The gas will evaporate and leave a varnish. This becomes exagerated with 2 stroke oil in it. StaBil will help keep the gas longer. We fill our boat tanks to prevent condensation in them. Would be a bummer if I had 140 gallons of gas I couldn't use because the oil was no good! Yes I still have to mix gas and oil for my boat. Just wish more engines ran 50:1 mix, then I could just take it out of the boat! No I won't buy Amsoil for my boat, at 18 gallons an hour it get expensive.
Old 03-29-2003, 05:44 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well; here's what I'm doing.

I bought a combo of gas containers at the local Home Depot. I got a 2 gallon plastic can and a 1 gallon plastic can for $3.

I'm running a Poulan at 40:1------so-- 3.2 oz. per gallon.

I found a store that sells Husky oil in 6.4 oz. containers.

6.4oz.. =2gallons of mixed gas.

I fill up my 2 gallon plastic can at the pump and watch the digital readout for exactly 2.000 gallons. Then I dump the whole 6.4oz. container of oil into the can. Then I mix it up-- shaken- not stirred.

So- I got 2 gallons of fuel mixed up. But I'm not going to use that much in one day. I just transfer fuel into my 1 gallon can-- whatever I might use for the day. Maybe 1/2 gallon. Then go flying.

When the 1 gallon can gets low-- just top her up from the 2 gallon can.

Works for me.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:51 AM
FLYINMIKE-RCU
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to any Motorcycle Shop that carries Moto-x Bikes and ask for a Ratio-Rite Mixing Cup. Should be about 7 Bucks. I've been riding two strokes for years and have been using these cups for most of them. If you want to take all of the guess work out of mixing fuel, then get one. You'll be glad you did.