Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Best 2.6m Composite-ARF?

Old 01-21-2008, 01:28 AM
gi8u2racing
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 2.6m Composite-ARF?

I just moved to India for a UAV position, and my boss is willing to get me a plane. I sold my 3.3m Yak in the US, and that was a lot of fun, but it was just too draggy and wouldn't do negative snaps to save its life. So without a real workshop or access to getting American stuff, I think Composite-ARF is my best choice. I am looking to get a 2.6m to keep things simple, one servo per surface, and not need a trailer. I see they have the 330L, 300SX, 260, and Yak 55SP. From a glance, the 300SX looks to be the most refined, but I think I could be surprised by any of them being the best. I'm looking for a good 3D/sequence platform with no real downfalls. I don't think it's that much to ask from at least one of these planes. I'm looking for someone who has flown the 300SX, 260, and/or 55SP, and can compare. I don't think I can get a BME here easily, but a DA or 3W wouldn't be too hard. DA is available from C-ARF, and 3W isn't TOO far away in Germany. So again, which 2.6m plane is best?????
Old 01-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Default RE: Best 2.6m Composite-ARF?

Jonathan Baker

I have the 3.3m Yak as well as the 2.6 and both will Neg Snap and Rotate perfectly.

Not knowing ur setup in the 3.3m doesn't help but the 2.6m will need more weight then a BME up front.

3D get one of the Yaks.
IMAC style get the Extra 260.

Ian
Old 01-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Can't answer your first question as I just got my first Comp-Arf, a 2.6 Extra 260, and it's not put together yet...[]

A couple of thoughts about engines though from my research which seems to apply to the various Extras, can't say about the Yak;

A BME would be too light and you'll most likely have to add nose weight, that's IF you could get an engine. BME is having some difficulties right now and the future of the company is in question. I wouldn't go there right now if I were you.

I wondered about the DA-100 vs. the 3W 106CS too. I finally got ahold of a guy who'd run both in the Extras. The 3W has a bit more power as you might expect but is harder to tune and you have to be really careful mounting the ignition as they have some issues with overheating causing a failure. That might be an issue considering the ambient temps where you'r at now???? So he basically said if I wanted the bit more performance and didn't mind the tuning issue, the 3W was the way to go but if I wanted to just basically "flip and fly" the DA was a better choice.

The 3W is also about 1/2lb. heavier than the DA which shouldn't be a problem and may actually help getting the model balanced. But what pushed me to the DA was that he told me the 3W was longer than the DA and stuck out in front of the cowl too far so he was looking for one of those special spinners that ride behind the prop flange to compensate. The other thing that kind of concerned me about the 3W in the 2.6 Extras was that there seems to be a number of people experiencing issues with in-cowl airflow and keeping the 3W happy in various flight conditions due to the turbulent airflow around the diaphram of the carb which affects the mixture, as well as issues with that curved intake trumpet on the 3W. These reports were specific to the smaller 2.6 size Extras.

Now I did not actually get the dimensions on the two engines to verify that size difference statement, he seemed like a guy who knew what he was talking about and was being honest about it so I took his word for it. I was also kind of leaning to DA for the availabilty and DA's service reputation since they are only in the next State from me. That isn't the case with your situation.

You may want to dig into the engine specs and see if the 3W is longer?

Hope I didn't just muddy the waters, but I spent a bunch of time looking at engine selection for mine and was really leaning to the 3W initially.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:24 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Don't know about the 260 or the 300sx, but you can balance the other two with a 4lb engine which is the lightest one made. So basically any engine will work on those.
When it comes to engines, I would try to find one that has a distributor somewhat local to you. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, I really like my 330L.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:01 PM
BobbyRichardson

I have the 300sx and have flown the 260, there not that much difference in the flying charteristics between the two planes. I would get the one that appealed to you best. Both are great planes.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:40 AM
gi8u2racing

Which engines did each of them have? There has to be some difference between the two to warrant having seperate airplanes. Carden is very methodical, and each new airplane is an improvement generally.

As for my Yak not snapping, everyone who has flown unlimited competitively complained. Yes, it can negative snap, but only with a lot of speed and a ridiculous amount of aileron. On double upline negative snaps, I'd be screwed. Plus throttle on vertical downlines is not comfortable to me. That's great if you have better results, maybe I had something setup incorrectly.

Anyway, I just want a solid 2.6m plane to play with here, haha

Right now the 300SX with a DA 100 sounds solid. The 260 is appealing as well if anyone can say anything about it superior to the 300SX.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Bobby's statement pretty much says what all the Compy guys I talked to said about the flying characteristics of the 300 vs. the 260.

Theoretically the 260 has some advantages due to the wing location but I'll defer to those who can fly these things much better than I, to tell you if it's noticeable or not.

I was initially all set to go with the 300SX and the DA-100, but that Kiwi yellow 260 really caught my eye and based on comments from other users that mirrored Bobby's, I went to the 260. The "which engine?" issue came up for me as we're about 4500ASL and having more power available than what the Sea Level guys can get away with is usually required. I was concerned about that as the 260 is a bit heavier than the 300SX.

Then there were issues with some people getting the Kiwi's and them having finish problems. Most of those complaints were from guys who got the Kiwi 260's right after they came out about a year ago. I think that may have just been some issues associated with it being a new model. Mine came in late November and the finish on it is really great, nice smooth surfaces with clean, sharp lines on the trim.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:58 AM
gi8u2racing

Considering the planes are the same size, but the 300SX is 1 kg lighter, that pretty much looks in the deal for me. Thanks for all the help guys