Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Using a Gyro in pitch mode

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Using a Gyro in pitch mode

Old 01-24-2008, 03:02 PM
ThomasP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using a Gyro in pitch mode

High Folks,

I have noted at quite a few jet meetings, a model will be on a nice stabilised approach to land, then as soon as it gets in to ground affect, or in gusty conditions the model will balloon up again maybe to 5ft or 6ft, get very slow and in worst case stall and cartwheel.

Would a gyro on the elevator help in this situation? I must confess I have not actually aware of any one using a gyro on the elevator.

Regards,

Alistair.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:16 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Using a Gyro in pitch mode

Was this a delta airplane?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:25 PM
ThomasP

Sean,

No, it is twin boom, Boomerang intro, however seems to affect all models to a degree depending on conditions at the time.

A
Old 01-24-2008, 03:37 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

I dont think a gyro would work cause the problem you are talking about is caused by lift, not AOA. If the gyro could compute "altitude" then maybe. All th gyro would do is help hold the AOA nose high.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:01 PM
ThomasP

Ian,

Thank you for your input,

A.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:07 PM
DaveMatthews

Using gyros on elevator, (and ailerons and rudder) is what is now common place. So go for it. Many competitors at the JWM use all three axis.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:02 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: DaveMatthews

Using gyros on elevator, (and ailerons and rudder) is what is now common place. So go for it. Many competitors at the JWM use all three axis.

This may be true, but in Thomas' situationthis wont help. A gyro is great for holding heading or attitude, it will not help to compensate for ballooning, in fact it may hurt. If you were coming in on final holding a high angle of attack and bleeding off airspeed a gyro would help hold that. As you slow down the nose will want to drop but the gyro would want to hold the AOA thus inputing more elevator and slowing the aircraft more and more. I think would result in a rapid stall.

For normal flight I think it would smooth out flight, i.e. holding your altitude level and correcting for rough or bumpy air.

Give it a try Thomas, I am curious to see, just don't wanna try it on my plane
Old 01-24-2008, 06:23 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: ThomasP

High Folks,

I have noted at quite a few jet meetings, a model will be on a nice stabilised approach to land, then as soon as it gets in to ground affect, or in gusty conditions the model will balloon up again maybe to 5ft or 6ft, get very slow and in worst case stall and cartwheel.
I can't say I have noticed that, except occasionally where people come into land too fast so that as they raise the nose to flare, and they raise it too rapidly without allowing plenty time for the speed to bleed off, so the plane climbs. The model can only climb up 5 or 6 feet if it has enough lift to do so, thus demonstrating that it was going too fast and was not close to its maximum angle of attack as it got into the flare height. A wind gust from in front can lift the model a foot or two, but it would take a very big gust to lift it 6 feet, unless it still had too much speed anyway.
Harry
Old 01-24-2008, 06:29 PM
jescardin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have first person experience using normal and "heading lock" gyros on RPV target airplanes during nearly 10 years and I may asure you that a normal gyro controlling longitudinal axis will soft and LIGHTLY self stabilish the plane on that axis but do not expect a total selfstabilize device and be prepared to "fight" against the gyro when pushing into dives and MAINLY when pulling out of them (you will need a lot of control for entering and exiting dives). Reagarding the use of "heading lock" gyros on elevator.....just forget about it!.

Best Regards.

Jesus Cardin
Old 01-24-2008, 10:25 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I made some experiments on pitch control using a standard gyro many years ago, and one of the best results from this experiment is how the gyro smoothed out the landing final approach on a prop job (a P-51).

On one particular experiment, I mixed the elevator channel with the gyro gain, so the gyro is working at it´s max when the stick is at the center. When control authority is needed, the gain is reduced as you apply elevator, so the gyro wasn´t fighting against your commands.

One problem is that the gyro can start "hunting" if the gain is set too high at higher speeds.. and this can lead to a crash due to aerodynamic stress on the airframe and controls , but you can also turn the gain off with the landing gear switch.

However, until this date I haven´t found a jet that needed a pitch gyro... IMO with a good setup, it is very difficult to make anything unlike a rock steady landing approach, unless of course there is heavy turbulence or strong cross winds.

Enrique
Old 01-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Likai

If you move C.G far backward than normal setting for manuvibility reason( like many real advance modern fighter jets), heading-lock gyro for pitch is the only answer. If not, it is no necessary.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:31 AM
ThomasP

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for the input, I think overall the opinion is to leave well alone, and adapt to the conditions on the day.

Alistair.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:27 PM
ela

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have seen this to. But I don't think it can be explained by anything else than lack of experience or nerves.. Keep the gyroes where they belong. In a helicopter.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:19 PM
jseppanen

My Gripen (AW, 1:5 scale, around 44lbs, P200 power) will have three gyros in it. ACT Fuzzy Pro Logic V2 all the way. Why three you may ask - two is not enough and four is too many! Absolutely no idea where the CG will be. Hopefully in front of trailing edge. Must compensate with gain... Any suggestions? You know how the real thing flies without gyros? - well...it doesn't...
Old 01-25-2008, 03:59 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

My Gripen (AW, 1:5 scale, around 44lbs, P200 power) will have three gyros in it. ACT Fuzzy Pro Logic V2 all the way. Why three you may ask - two is not enough and four is too many! Absolutely no idea where the CG will be. Hopefully in front of trailing edge. Must compensate with gain... Any suggestions? You know how the real thing flies without gyros? - well...it doesn't...
Whatever for? Just put the CG where it belongs and fly it. As Likai mentioned above the reason the real one needs gyros and computer augmentation is because of its rearward CG. The rear CG makes the plane very manueverable but inherently unstable. The computer augmentation compensates for the instability so that its flyable.

With RC models we move the CG forward to make it stable. My Skymaster Gripen is very stable and manueverable enough for me. Get rid of the gyros and use the recommended CG. You can experiment somewhat with the CG location to fit your flying style.

Joe
Old 01-25-2008, 04:33 PM
jseppanen

The point is to experiment with the airframe and capabilities of my flying skills. I'm sure the plane will fly great (every delta wing plane does) without any gyro assistance. What is great? I'd like it to fly even better and scale-like. Have you seen how the real one flies? Especially the high-alfa manouvers? No RC -plane (Gripen) does these like the real thing! My Rookie II is close though...sometimes...

Experimenting with all the 'gizmos' is what's it all about for me... The maiden will not happen before April but I'll post a video no matter what happens...keep your fingers crossed...