Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Carb Cleaning

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Carb Cleaning

Old 04-18-2003, 09:56 AM
2homelitefreaks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb Cleaning

I'm resurrecting my .47 GMP plane engine which has been in poor storage conditions for a couple years (mounted on plane in basement). It looks to be in good shape, but I started doing a thorough surface cleaning and noticed the throttle actuation has a notchy feeling, like some grit is in there. The only screw I can see is the one on the side of the throttle "barrel". Do I just remove that screw and keep cleaning (btw.. I'm using 70% rubbing alcohol for the wipedown). Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 08-30-2003, 01:42 PM
flytheedge
My Feedback: (84)

Default Carb Cleaning

I don't think I'd use alcohol. I always use airplane fuel. You let it soak in there overnight and use steel wool and a steel toothbrush to get all that grime off.

As far as the carb goes and being sticky, there should be a little screw behind the carb. Just unscrew that screw and the carberator just pulls off. Then, where you have your throttle arm on the motor, unscrew that screw and the "lip" part will pull out and you can clean that up really good with fuel. Hope this helps.
Clint
Old 08-30-2003, 10:51 PM
lownslo

Default Carb Cleaning

I wouldn't use a steel bristled toothbrush sized brush as it will probably scratch the softer alloy. Auto parts stores sell those size cleaning brushes. I don't remember where I got them but I got a "3 pack". All a little bigger than a toothbrush. One was steel bristles, one brass, and one was stiff plastic bristles. .... lownslo.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:58 PM
aeroman

Default Carb Cleaning

Try spraying wd-40 generously all over and let it sit for a few hours, then soak it in gasoline (reg car fuel), pull it out, let dry and put some after run oil in it.
This has worked for me on old engines.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:36 AM
flytheedge
My Feedback: (84)

Default Carb Cleaning

I just use a steel bristled brush to scrape off all the gunk on the cylinder head and outside of the engine. Cleans up very well. You really don't have to worry about scraping anything off. I've done it several times and never had any problems. I can get my engines looking brand new. If I can remember, and this is the key, I'll post up a thread with a dirty engine and me cleaning it up with steel wool and steel bristled brush. You'll find out what I mean. There's absolutely no danger in it. Just my 2 cents.
Clint
Old 09-17-2003, 10:48 PM
cdracer

Default RE: Carb Cleaning

WD-40 and Corosion X

I do this after ever run of my buggy engines and religiously with my RC boat engines. And yessss Soak it baby!!!!1 WD 40 and CX then your piston and carb are silky smooth.

I am not a fan of the after run oil. I always found it guming up my engines. Maybe cus I use too much[8D]

But nevertheless, WD40 spray and bath followed by CX spray and bath and they are ready for bed.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:57 PM
flianbrian

Default RE: Carb Cleaning

the throttle actuation has a notchy feeling, like some grit is in there
If cleaning doesn't cure it, check for burrs on the retainer screw and the slot in the barrel (assuming the GMP is made that way). Or maybe the screw just needs to be backed out a bit.