Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

How do I dial back top speed? ESC TX adjustments

Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

How do I dial back top speed? ESC TX adjustments

Old 02-20-2008, 02:50 AM
HIGHBANKSRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I dial back top speed? ESC TX adjustments

Hello,

My son is 6 and is learning how to drive a 1/10 electric stadium truck. At this point it is just way too fast for him to drive on our local track. I need to figure a way to dial back the top speed so he can gain some control and gradually learn to drive it faster. We have a nice truck and I dont want to spend all my time repairing it.
I started him driving in an open dirt field to practice but he says he is ready for the big time and loves going to the track (so do I) so any help would be great.

We have a Losi XXXT MF2 electric truck with a Novak Explorer 2 ESC and Airtronics MX3 FM radio.
Stock 27 turn motor and 3300 nihm batteries.

I'm sure the answer is right under my nose - but I haven't found it just yet.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Steve
Old 02-20-2008, 05:24 AM
UG0TB4NN3D
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: How do I dial back top speed? ESC TX adjustments

Adjust the EPA for the throttle.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:38 AM
HIGHBANKSRC

Default RE: How do I dial back top speed? ESC TX adjustments

Me again!

OK I did some research into this because I have heard before that dialing back the EPA adjustment on an electric vehicle with an electronic speed control was a bad idea.
I am using an airtronics radio and a Novak ESC so naturally I gave them both calls. I heard back first from Novak and sure enough the tech Charlie had confirmed my suspicions. Please read what he has to say, this is good advise for anyone trying to get started that feels that the spped of the car is way too fast. Airtronics called back and left a message but I think Novak hit this one right in the head.

Hello Sir,
It isn’t a safe, or good idea to limit the speed using the EPA on the Radio. This is very hard on the ESC and could pose some damage.
The best thing is to lower the pinion size and increase the spur size. What I’ve recommended for many tracks, and parents is to simply reduce the main battery pack voltage. Use a 4 or 5 cell battery pack instead of a 6 cell. This slows the car down and increases runtime. A Win Win.
You certainly can add some “expo” or Curve to help smooth out the response, but lowering the gearing a bunch will help as well.

Thanks

Tech Support
Novak Electronics