Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Yak, Extra, or Edge

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Yak, Extra, or Edge

Old 03-05-2008, 03:58 PM
flymeaway
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yak, Extra, or Edge

I'm looking for some advice from those that have flown each of these planes. I've read that the Yaks are better for 3D as they are more stable, Extras are better for IMAC/Pattern/snaps than Yaks, and that Edges are great for 3D as well. That statement comes from remembering bits and pieces of what I've read over the years or from talking with other flyers at my club.

I have two different size Extras and love the way they fly, but would like to try something else for this upcoming project, thus the reason for looking into an Edge or Yak.

My flying style is not 3D, but rather IMAC type stuff.

This next plane choice will be in the neighborhood of 68" to 74" for electric conversion.

Thanks for your opinions.

Bob
Old 03-05-2008, 04:15 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts
Default RE: Yak, Extra, or Edge

Its more about the individual plane and the way you set it up than one type being better. Some of the Yaks have a longer tail moment than others and with a conservative CG make them very positive IMAC planes. Move the CG back, over power it and its a 3d monster.

Mike East did several great reviews on different large airplanes, do some reading in the magazine section.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:42 PM
bbagle1

The 74" extreme flight Yak is pretty much the best flying plane in that size range for 3d or precision. It excells at both and usually comes in under 12 pounds ready to go.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:10 PM
theradioflyer

Hey Bob, it's hard to categorize a particular plane to a particular flying style. Slight movement on location on wings, tail moments, and airfoils drastically change behaviors. The only traits I've found that has stuck is knife edge spins and Edge540's. Both of mine, different makes and sizes, just seem to wrap themselves up. It seems that Yak's also tumble extremely well and Extras and Katanas seem to carve beautiful lines in the sky but it would depend on who makes it and wing loads.

Sorry...long winded. I would highly recommend the 3Dhobbyshops 85" Katana. I have not flown this plane but I have heard many rave about it. Ben @ 3Dhobbyshops has the best customer service and can hook you up with a great electric set-up. They are coming out with an Extra 300 SHP 87" available in the spring. The video I'm linking it's flown 3D, just move the CG forward for precision flight.

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=2153

http://young99.net/images/Videos/87SHP06.wmv

God Bless,

Jay
Old 03-08-2008, 01:06 AM
Get Real

Ditto on 3DHobbyShops planes

[link=http://www.youtube.com/user/3DHobbyShopRocks]Videos Of Mine[/link]
Old 03-08-2008, 02:03 AM
bbagle1

Look around the swapshop and ebay and see if you can find an UltraRc Katana extreme. they went out of business and are selling off their remaining stock on ebay and they can usually be had for about 200$. I had one and it flew like a foamie. It has a 72" wingspan and with an OS 160 it came out under 9 pounds with no mods. it would be perfect for an electric conversion.