Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Which First Sim, Phoenix or AFPD?

Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Which First Sim, Phoenix or AFPD?

Old 03-06-2008, 09:29 PM
blacktails
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which First Sim, Phoenix or AFPD?

I'm just starting in RC planes, will be working with an instructor, and I am going to get a sim to hopefully save myself some grief and $$$. I've played around with both FS One & RF G4, and I liked parts of both of them. However, from reading various posts and looking at screen shots and vids, I think I am going to go with either Phoenix or AFPD. I will be using my own transmitter (DX7) after it arrives, so the cost for both brands is basically comparable for the AFPD w/o transmitter and Phoenix w/cable for Spektrum radios. My computer is decent, so either one should run fine on my system. For you guys that mainly fly planes (and maybe a little heli also) and have used both, which would you recommend and why?
Old 03-07-2008, 01:36 AM
Cybert99

Default RE: Which First Sim, Phoenix or AFPD?

I haven't been able to see AFPD in action (no one around here sells it and there isn't a demo available), but I picked up a copy of Phoenix the other day and it's fantastic!

Taught myself to fly a 2 channel (rudder and elevator) glider about twenty years ago, but that's the extent of my RC experience. So when I started training on the ClearView sim I was awful. Couldn't fly those planes to save my life. But I kept working at it and I got better. After several weeks of practice I took my *real* RC plane out to an abandoned road and had a nice little flight. My next real flight was even better, including a perfect landing where the plane rolled to a stop at my feet. That would not have been possible without my sim time.

My 4th flight was great, but I overshot the runway and hit a pole. That convinced me to a get a more full-featured simulator and as I said I'm REALLY happy with Phoenix so far. I turned up the simulation speed and set up a light wind and some turbulence, and the planes fly just like my real plane. AFPD is supposed to be a great plane simulator, too, but I've heard some of the models are a bit "floaty". There is a rumor that the Phoenix folks are working on an update to the fixed wing flight physics -- so even though I'm satisfied now, I'm looking forward to that.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:30 AM
carlosponti

I chose AFPD because i had one requirement it had to run in linux. the company has a linux binary that you can get on their website. to me it was serious enough where i turned down getting realflight and acouple of others. I like AFPD it runs great and there are model downloads i can get. my system is actually getting a bit old. i built it myself and have a sempron 3000+ with a 256 mb video card and older parallel hard drives. I dont have experience with Phoenix to say anything about it.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:18 PM
jagnweiner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, I know you wanted people who had experience with both and I don't. I bought Phoenix for my first (and only) sim and I have been very pleased. I find it very realistic and I like the different float plane options. My favorite part is that Phoenix is constantly improving it and providing both upgrades and new plane downloads for free.

I bought mine at my LHS, but now that Hobbico quit distributing it you have to order it from England. I bought a copy for my father-in-law and it was delivered from England to Oklahoma in about 3 days. I thought that was pretty impressive.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:14 PM
blacktails

Well, I went ahead and ordered the Phoenix sim from the heliguy.com, overseas. With the sim, heliguy also includes the connection cable of your choice to match whatever radio you will be using. Total price with shipping to the U.S. was $151.08, which seems like it will be a good deal if the reviews and user comments are pretty accurate. The extra savings definitely helps offset the cost of the DX7 system I'm waiting on, so I'm already happy . Man, this hobby eats up cash fast, but I'm sure it's going to be worth it [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 03-08-2008, 03:20 AM
twistercp

you wont be disapointed - heliguy is a good place to order from, but shipping is faster direct www.phoenix-sim.com
Old 03-08-2008, 12:35 PM
The Codfather

I've been playing with the "edit plane" feature with the Easy* model in my Aerofly Sim. It is interesting to be able to change the diheadrel, motor power, etc and watch the effects. The Easy* platform is really a well designed form. It can be tweaked so many ways and still maintains its flyability. I've really taken it to the extreme at times (crazy wing geometry, body design) until it would only fly with gobs of power and you could only point it not fly it...LOL Sims are amazing tools to teach more than the hand eye co-ordination necessary to fly a plane.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:44 PM
blacktails

Thanks, twistercp. I've read good things about heliguy, so I'm sure it will work out okay. Before ordering from him, I did check the Phoenix-sim site, and though they may be faster in delivery, their delivered price was $18 higher. I have to wait for my radio anyway, so now I can use the $18 savings towards a tach for use with the Saito FA-62A that I'll be using.