Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Options for freighting kits from the US to other countries (ie New Zealand)

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Options for freighting kits from the US to other countries (ie New Zealand)

Old 05-11-2003, 07:37 AM
Secret Squirrel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options for freighting kits from the US to other countries (ie New Zealand)

Hi everyone,
I just priced a helicopter carrying case which is a fairly large item, but probably not quite as big as the 30% kit I want to get (Lanier Edge 540).

I got the vendor to quote a shipping price to me which they sent on. Once I was resuscitated from the shock of the shipping cost, I started wondering what other options there are for shipping larger items out of the US?

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,
Si
Old 05-12-2003, 09:04 AM
AlphaWhisky

Default Freight to Nz

Hi Simon,

Now you know why most of us down here scratch-build!

I have imported one or two larger kits over the years and it is a bit of a worry for sure - you sure need to want it very badly.

Many outfits like Tower and the other big ones won`t ship them to you nohow, but will often ship them anywhere within the US of A for no freight charge if it is over a certain figure.

If you have any mates over there who can take delivery of a kit on your behalf and ensure it is packed - or repacked - suitable for export delivery, you might prevail upon one of them to organise it for you.

Next step is to obtain a freight quote from one of several freight-forwarders here in Godzone. I have found them to be quite helpful and usually cheaper than their counterparts in USA.

Have your man in the States delivery the kit to the Kiwi freight-forwarders agent,usually at one of the international airports there and there is a good chance you will receive a note from HM Customs here within a week advising you can take delivery on receipt of a further immense sum for duty and another 12 1/2% for GST - that goes on the freight cost as well if you strike a snotty one - and then it`s yours.

Be prepared to raise another mortgage for the privilege.

Alan W

PS - I can`t say I have seen a big Lanier kit here at all. I wonder why?
Old 05-12-2003, 08:22 PM
Secret Squirrel

Default Options for freighting kits from the US to other countries (ie New Zealand)

SURELY there must be some options you'd think??? Somebody must have done this kind of thing before?

Si
Old 05-12-2003, 09:55 PM
Richo

Giday Simon,

I have had the same problem myself here in Australia. Freighting models from the states is very expensive. I opted on the first occasion to buy a H9 330L (97") from a local importer, rather than pay a small fortune to import a Aeroworks or Carden kit. We are fortunate here to have several importers who can get there hands on large scale models. We also have a manufacturer of some good quality fiberglass kits (Model Design).
I'm presently flying a Fiberclassic 330L and have just ordered a Composite-arf 330L (same as Fiberclassic) and it will be here on the 19th of this month. The distributor for these models is in Queensland and keeps the stock on hand. I'm not sure if it helps but perhaps it will be cheaper to get a large scale model from over the pond? I dont know of anyone here who has a Lanier model but there is alternatives.

Richo
Old 05-13-2003, 03:45 AM
AlphaWhisky

Hi Richo,

Your suggestion may have some merit worth checking out, but the fact remains that our Customs Dept tend to get a little pedantic and/or officious at times,even with goods coming from across the ditch.

Simon, another track you may consider is if you have a cobber who may be bringing in container loads of import business goodies into Godzone. I have heard it is possible to toss your Lanier kit or similar into there and that will reduce the freight charges dramatically. Unfortunately I am not in the know deep enough to get in on this.

Alan W
Old 05-13-2003, 09:36 AM
Stiks

Richo

I'm curious as to who your importer is, I live in queensland and am unaware of this company, I would like to look at getting a bigger kit in the future.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:23 PM
Richo

Giday Stiks,

Desert Aircraft Australia, Ian Howard is the man you need to talk to, ph 07-34220772. I have bought 2 DA100's and 2 FC330L's from him, he's the man. I cant recomend him highly enough.

Richo
Old 05-13-2003, 09:33 PM
3DMike

hey Richo, are you one of the guys on that video the kiwi guys bought back from the aussie masters, dam funny!!! You guys really should start pylon racing with them extras, (:

mike
Old 05-13-2003, 09:39 PM
Richo

Giday Mike,

Yeah thats us. When we first fired up the smoke we all went ballistic. We had a heap of fun!

Richo
Old 05-13-2003, 09:43 PM
lennyk
My Feedback: (12)

Check your local cargo/freight companies,
they may have an office or forwarding agent in a major point in the US eg Miami.

Freight forwarders usually have a big warehouse and will sign and receive the goods for you and then notify you of receipt and you can give them instructions how to ship it to you,
assuming they have some shipping schedule by air or boat or some form of consolidation. You these kinds of cargo companies you are likely to pay by the actual weight or volumetric weight and some minimum charge.

Naturally if you ship by boat it will take at least a couple weeks but it will definitely be cheaper than by fedex or any form of retail air freight.