Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull Models PC-9 Engine Thrust Line Help

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull Models PC-9 Engine Thrust Line Help

Old 08-08-2008, 07:53 AM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seagull Models PC-9 Engine Thrust Line Help

I just finished the PC-9 and it's ready for it's first flight. I was checking the forums to ready myself with it's flight characteristics and found two conflicting reviews.
The first review I found under RCU Forums. We all know about the cowl thrust line off on the front of the cowl but nothing about downward thrust on the motor.

The second review I found at RCU Review Products and the author shimmed the motor mount 2 degrees down thrust because of the front of the cowl.

Both reviews say the plane flies great.

Anyone that owns this plane knows the instructions are pretty lame and there surely is no mention of down thrust.

The aircraft should fly either way but which is correct?

Thanks,
Bob

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22468.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1006649  
Old 08-08-2008, 08:50 AM
spanky910

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Models PC-9 Engine Thrust Line Help

Hello Bob. I have owned two of theses planes. I lost the first one in a mid-air collision. I have never altere the thrust line on either plane and they both flew/fly great. Inverted flight is outstanding. I did adjust the fuel tank approximately one inch by removing part of the former, but that was to addres the inverted engine. I would not worry about the thrust line IMHO. Have fun!
Old 08-08-2008, 09:39 AM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: spanky910

Hello Bob. I have owned two of theses planes. I lost the first one in a mid-air collision. I have never altere the thrust line on either plane and they both flew/fly great. Inverted flight is outstanding. I did adjust the fuel tank approximately one inch by removing part of the former, but that was to addres the inverted engine. I would not worry about the thrust line IMHO. Have fun!
Hi Spanky910,

I figured the thrust was OK because the engine mount is premounted. I'm always worried on the first flight. Over 20 years of flying and I'm still scared.

I was also going to move my tank but I decided to go with a Perry Pump that I had left over from my wrecked ScatCat.

I'm running an old OS 45FSR that I recently rebuilt. I love the old motors. I ran a couple of tanks thru the engine yesterday and it runs great.

I'm on vacation this week and I'm waiting for the NY monsoon to end.

I hope to fly her tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for the reassurance,
Bob
Old 08-08-2008, 12:41 PM
greyfoxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phatbob02 - I had one of these as well and it is indeed a great flying model. I made no engine thrust modifications and had to use very little trim to get it to fly straight. With the inverted engine, either make the tank modification Spanky 910 talks about, or install a Perry Pump or Klien Regulator to keep the invereted engine from flooding. I did install an Irvine 53 in mine and it flew quiet well. It flew inverted quiet well as Spanky910 has indicated, and with the Irvine 53, would go vertical for a ways before finally falling out. I could go vertical and do an aileron roll, capping it off with a beautiful tailslide before falling off into a hammerhead turn. It was my second airplane (first after the trainer) and I lost it to signal loss - - - what a helpless feeling!!!

I would recommend carrying a little power, a couple of clicks of throttle only, and/or speed on base and final until you cross the fence then cut the power and flare, and it will land like it was on a string. Loved flying that airplane - In fact, I liked mine so much, I have one sitting here in a box ready to be put together. I just hope that when I finally put the new one together, it will fly as well as the first one.

Above all, remember that, "Experience is a hard teacher. She always gives the test first and the lesson sometime later!"