Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Comp-arf Flash Painting?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Comp-arf Flash Painting?

Old 08-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Mach1
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comp-arf Flash Painting?

I am finishing up a Flash. It is the all white version that I am going to paint. What is the best way to prepare the surface for paint?
It does not seem like it would need a primer coat, the quality of the white finish is outstanding.

Thanks in advance,
Old 08-14-2008, 09:56 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Comp-arf Flash Painting?

scuff the surface, clean and then paint. Scotch bright pads or 600 grit sand paper both work well. You will want all of the shine gone before you paint.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:04 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, so long as there is no 'shine' anywhere you're good to go - the molding is so good you're unlikely to even find pin holes etc.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:11 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I would add that you want to clean the surface *before* you sand it. I washed mine with soap and water and then rubbed it down with the PPG recommended cleaner (forgot what the number was) before I sanded it.

Bob
Old 08-14-2008, 04:26 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I used ppg dx 331 wax and tar remover before I paint. I never thought of doing it before I sanded.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:25 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Definitely degrease it before you start sanding. You need to get rid of all the mold release that's on it. If you start sanding without getting rid of that you will just basically grind it into the surface and you'll fight fish eyes and adhesion forever. I wash everything with Tide laundry detergent (the powder, not liquid) as it doesn't have any oils in it. Wash it with fairly hot water. Then wipe it down really well with PPG's DX320 and wipe it all off with a clean paper towel. Then sand the finish (I would use 800), wipe it with the DX320 again and paint.