Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

best newbie rock crawler?

Old 09-19-2008, 08:48 PM
bruce5385

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best newbie rock crawler?

what is the best newbie rock crawler? the local hobbie shop says the losi
Old 09-19-2008, 08:57 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: best newbie rock crawler?

I would go with the Axial AX10 RTR.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:26 AM
dezfan

For out of the box, just want to crawl and have fun, get the Losi. If you plan to compete, get the Axial.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:32 AM
The Mad Modder

What type of terrain would you want to drive/crawl on? Myself, I think that the Axial would be good. The Losi seems kinda small to do much "real world" crawling. That and I wasn't terribly impressed by the quality of the mini-t, especially the electronics.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:44 AM
86waterpumper

I agree that the axial is the most complete out of the box, I myself converted my wheely king over but this was just because I already had the truck around. I disagree though on getting the axial rtr. The reason is, if you build the regular axial kit you will learn alot about how the truck goes together, and not only that you will get upgraded parts like all the links are metal instead of plastic etc. Another thing is, doesn't the rtr version come with a open front diff? If you really wanted to crawl much you would still have to tear it half apart to install this piece. The other thing is, the stock 27 turn motor isn't going to be much good at crawling either. I would bite the bullet and build the kit.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:18 AM
goodoldlevi
My Feedback: (2)

My friend just baught an ax10 rtr and I have a losi mini. The first thing we had to do is tear the front axle down and lock it. Then we had to change out the pinion and we did all of this in about 20 minutes. The things we did not like about the rtr is the use of cheap philips head screws on a lot of the parts, the steering link and lower links are really flimsy, the esc has almost zero drag brake and the stock motor is more for the race, bash side of the ax10. Needless to say my friend is planing on a lot of upgrades and ARTR kit is the way to go for a 2.2 rig. As for my losi it truly is a rtr rock crawler and side by side with the ax10 it is dwarfed. We ran them on rip rap next to a sea wall and there is no doubt that the ax10 can out crawl do to its size and wheelbase but not by a whole lot. I love the losi and it is no joke out of the box ready but to make a long story short I will be moving up to a ARTR ax10 and ill save the little guy for those rainy days in the garage.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:24 PM
bruce5385

thanks alot it seems like the ax10 artr or the ax10 kit are the two best ways to go. i was at the local hobby shop and one if the guys built an ax10 and put all the weight at the bottom of the rig for example all metal parts on the bottom(steel gears, aluminum housings,etc.) and carbon fiber on the top seems to be a good idea to me keeps the center of gravity down at the tires. but he also did one thing i dont agree with and that is he did away with the rear steering. i think i would like to have the rear steering. what is your opinion?
Old 09-22-2008, 10:43 PM
towtruckmikey

They dont allow rear steer in comp. If your just gonna play around then thats o.k.

Go with the ARTR kit #90004 its orange yes but it will grow on you. Just add your choice of electronics.

I get alot of my upgrades thru a site called http://www.teamstrc.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89598.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	1039213  
Old 09-23-2008, 03:29 PM
_NICO_

Get the ax10 kit, when something breaks you'll be farmiliar with how to fix it.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:02 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd get the Axial over the Losi any day.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Anomie

Me too, but I have to say that the Axial is becoming the sole first-timer recommendation and it is standing alone as such. Too bad there are not additional comp-worthy kits out there. Nothing against the AX-10, but it would be nice if there were more choices. The customized crawlers are always a good thing, but for someone new to the sport or not familiar with custom building, it seems the choices are limited.

...if you ask me.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:42 AM
BaronVonKlenckmeister

im a noob and i got the axial ax10 kit and it only took me about 8hrs total to assemble and it was a blast! its also a very nice truck so i would have to recommend the axial ax10 kit!!
Old 01-17-2009, 01:45 AM
cubnpede82

Hello all,
I am new to crawling, not RC or tinkering. I got the RTR simply because I got a great deal on a new one at my LHS. If you like green, get the kit, if you like Orange, the ARTR, and if you have no electronics to use, get the RTR. I got one, and have slowly upgraded. Got different springs, cut foams, bent links and the hardware upgrade. Alum. steering links. MG servo when stocker crapped out. ALL IN ALL, the RTR is a great starting point, and is quite capable with the 14T pinion and front locker installed. I am now running a 7cell 2/3A pack from an airplane on the front axle, haven't had much chance to try it out yet though. I would say, the Axial, is the best newb. crawler, and the 1/10 Losi coming out looks like it will be a great ARTR type rig. If you like building though, check out the CR-01 kits from Tamiya. I have plans for a fleet of crawlers for camping trips. my Modded AX10 RTR, another ARTR, a CR-01 FJ40, and a Losi 1/10. I will shoot for losi and an AX for comp. type setups, and an AX and the CR-01 more of a 2.2 scaler type. Oh, and I'd love a High-Lift. I already have a TQ-3 i have sourced and plan to get another. CRAWLING is ADDICTIVE!!!
hope to see more crawling on RCU!