Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

H9 Ultra Stick 60?

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

H9 Ultra Stick 60?

Old 05-28-2003, 05:51 PM
GreyfoxVt
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 Ultra Stick 60?

I am an advanced pilot who is actively pushing towards 3D. I can fly my simulator fairly well, and have been to enough shows to understand how to complete most of the 3D patterns. I just purchased an Hanger 9 Ultra Stick 60, which I am setting up complete with crow configuration, max surface movement, and radio mixing (as specified by H9). I plan to put my older OS .91FS four stroke engine on this plane, and hope that it is enough for starters. I do have a YS.91AC, but rather not put it on yet.

My question is multi-part, first, is the OS big enough to get the job done? And second, is the Ultra Stick the right airplane?

I welcome all opinions, and open discussion.

Thanks...
Old 05-28-2003, 06:15 PM
Pugsley-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Default I wouldn't call the US 60...

a 3D monster....I have 100's of flights on mine....great, fun airplane, will hover, will KE a bit (not the best).....

If I was looking to learn 3D with that motor I'd look at the UCD or something like that.....

The US 60 is a great plane......and you will have fun with it....but I doubt you will learn much 3D with it....

Pugs
Old 05-28-2003, 06:19 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

The OS 91 FX is more than enough. Be sure to reinforce the landing gear mount area. The balsa tends to be very soft and easily "displaced" when landing.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:10 PM
Johnnylightning

Will do some 3D
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2003, 09:20 PM
Pugsley-RCU

Default Yeah.....

I think I mentioned that.....

Pugs
Old 05-28-2003, 09:23 PM
Johnnylightning

Default Sorry Pugs,

I replied before I read the thread (dang spazztic mouse finger).
Old 05-28-2003, 09:45 PM
GreyfoxVt

Default Engine Update OS.91 FS Surpass

I originally stated the engine incorrectly, I meant to say OS .91FS Surpass four stroke, which is new from the box, but a few years old in general. On the test bench, it seems to run fine, and seems to have allot of power, so I am hoping it is enough!
Old 05-28-2003, 11:50 PM
Pugsley-RCU

Default No problem Johnny.....

Just yanking your chain.....

The 91 Fourstroke will be fine on this plane....

Pugs
Old 05-29-2003, 12:40 PM
scottymac

Originally posted by P-51B
The OS 91 FX is more than enough. Be sure to reinforce the landing gear mount area. The balsa tends to be very soft and easily "displaced" when landing.
Are you flying this plane with the .91FX? I'm getting ready to mount one on my US.60 and am looking for prop advice- also if anyone has reinforced the firewall to handle more power?
Old 05-29-2003, 05:19 PM
GreyfoxVt

Default H9 US 60 Power

I have mounted an OS .91FS Surpass four stroke in mine, and it seems to have plenty of power. I did not use the .91FX two stroke, but it should have more than enough to pull it up vertical....
Old 05-30-2003, 12:16 AM
Johnnylightning

scottymac, I've had over 200 flights on my US60 w/ a pumped OS 120III (HEAVY), 8 serious repairs and about a dozen broken APC 16X4's. Last week was the first time that the firewall busted out on me (clean break) and that was due to impact #9. After a series of violent "rudder bumps" down each centerline of the runway, my elevator likage broke loose. Well, fullthrottle+fulldown=busted firewall and yet another APC 16X4. This has been my first H9 ARF, won't be the last. They're built really tuff!

GreyfoxVt, I don't know if the OS .91FS will pull it "right-out" of a hover. Maybe the motor's less weight might help it out. Also you could always lighten the airframe by cutting a buncha' lightening holes into fuse behind the wing. Let us know.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:24 AM
GreyfoxVt

Default Enough Power

JohnnyL, I have now run this old OS .91FS on the test bench, and it seems to be broke in, and ready for the job. It sure seems like there is enough HP/Tork, to get the job done. My plane is weighing in at 6.4 lbs, and I am turning an APC 13x9 which is getting close to 11,000 RPM. SO I guess the big question is just how much do I really need. I will test flying on Saturday, and it will either stall, or climb!

Thanks for the posts, and I will hope for the best!
Old 05-30-2003, 12:30 AM
Johnnylightning

Grey, everything sounds cool except for your prop. From what I've gathered, sounds like if you wanna' venture into 3D so your initial test flight should be OK w/ that prop, but for 3D you'll need to slow it down, waaay down, something like a 14X4 might do the trick.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:34 PM
SAL98
My Feedback: (6)

I would go with at least a 15 inch prop on that engine for 3d. you want to move a lot of air when it slows down like in a hover or harrier so you will still have positive control.
This plane will not be a 3d monster, but it can be used to learn certain maneuvers. If you want to go strictly 3d then you need a good 3d machine which will be very very light, large control surfaces and good wing area.
The crow feature on your plane will be a whole lot of fun and really helps with slow harrier flight .
Old 06-03-2003, 04:15 PM
gregpredmore
My Feedback: (1)

Okay, here's how my stick is set up. It's my second, wore out one last year, put about 10 cases of fuel through it.

Motor is a Saito 120, servos 6vdc battery and 4.5 oz. of lead in the tail, stock tank, 15x8 master airscrew K series prop, 4" wheels.

I felt the plane had too light a wing loading for me, the wind blew it round too much. It now weighs about 7 lbs. dry. Penetrates well in even very windy conditions but still is light enough as to have NO bad habits. Hover, Anyone could hover it. 1/4 throttle and it sits still. With just a touch of the stick and it straightens out.

Greg Predmore
Old 06-08-2003, 09:00 AM
gregpredmore
My Feedback: (1)

Ok guys, here's an update you should consider!!!

I have since altered my tailgroup control surfaces thusly:

I removed the trailing edge of all control surfaces with a table saw equiped with a panel blade. I have taken the leftover ailerons and done the same to their leading edges.
Next I glued the ailerons on the trailing edges of the control surfaces. Ofcourse this included triming the edges and recovering the surfaces.

Next I placed an additional servo in the tail on the side under the rudder servo. Then I cut an appropriate sized slit in the bottom of the fuse directly in front of the stabilizer and placed the battery pack(6 VDC nimh) in the slot epoxying it in. The weight of the servo and the move of the battery allowed the removal of 3 oz of weight!

The added surface area combined with dual hobico cs-61 and single cs-65 Make this plane VERY floppy. I could do hovers and such before if I really concentrated. Now a monky could hover it. Now the neat thing is that the material were all ready in the box!
All I needed was an extra servo.

I gotta tell you over powering this plane with the saito 120 and the extra servos in the tail have brought this plane up to true 3d standard.

Greg Predmore
Old 06-09-2003, 04:18 PM
stuffer
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one with a Saito 100. Unlimited verticle with a 13x8 prop and more power than I needed. Fun plane. So much so that I forgot to check the charge one day. Up it went and over it went and in it went...STUFF! The engine went 6" in the ground. Took all I had to get it out. But up until then a great flier and loads of fun!!! BTW the engine needed only a new carb and pushrod sleeves and now its on my Giles G202. Tough stuff!