Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

sunglasses

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

sunglasses

Old 06-08-2003, 07:24 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default sunglasses

Guys,

What would be a good set of sunglasses that would help on one of those cloudless bright sunny hazy days we have here in Az. My Maui Jims are fantastic most time when there are some clouds to break things up but seeing a gray gray F-16 in that sky is tricky. I am thinking an amber lens might be helpful?? what do you guys think??

Thanks, Vin...
Old 06-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sunglasses

I bought a few different colors of Zurich sunglasses. I honestly can't remember which color I use for what (I just keep changing 'em until I get the best viz on a given day), but they really do work well for me. The fact that they wrap all the way around is an added advantage on windy days when there's a lot of dust flying around.

Gordon
Old 06-08-2003, 07:40 PM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Haze Glasses

Vin:

My rose tint, light density Zurichs are the greatest. Had low scud and haze here the last few days.....perfect. Preserves and enhances colors

For the really bright blue sky days like I've seen out there in Jan-Feb, the blue tint, dark density ones are perfect.

Not too fashionable........gives you that special 80 year old, post-cataract surgery look, but not many chicks to impress on the flightline....

Tom
Old 06-08-2003, 07:49 PM
weasel33

Default my choice

I use a pair of RayBan Ambermatics helps to boost colour
definition in any weather especially on dull days because up here in N/west England we have a lot of dull days

Brian
Old 06-08-2003, 08:15 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default sunglasses

I highly recommend the glasses that Piedmont Models sells.. They're called NYX and they come with 3 interchangeable lenses to help with varying light conditions.

Doug Cronkhite
Team JR
Old 06-08-2003, 08:34 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Default sunglasses

I second Doug's comments. I just started wearing mine last weekend. I wear a prescription lense as well and the optics are superior to anything out there. I had (still have) 4 different colors of Zurichs, and I was satisfied with them until I bought the NYX glasses. The light rose is a little too light for my tastes but the gray, and the amber are fantastic for bright days, and partly cloudy days respectively. And they are very comfortable to wear... unlike the Zurich's.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:27 PM
Shaun Evans

Default sunglasses

Tom,

Very funny description :-)
Old 06-08-2003, 10:54 PM
vinnyjet
My Feedback: (39)

Default sunglasses

vin
get the nyx they are great
vinny
Old 06-09-2003, 12:12 AM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default sunglasses

Hi,
I have been using Serengeti Drivers for airline flying,and models for 15 yrs.The Serengeti Strada lens is even better for cutting haze,but I like the driver lens because it is still effective in low light conditions.
Erik
Old 06-09-2003, 12:25 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Sunglasses

Thanks guys, I ordered the NYX glasses from Piedmont Models.

Vin...
Old 06-09-2003, 04:52 PM
GJr.
My Feedback: (3)

Default NYX sunglasses

Can someone post some website contacts for the NYX glasses ? Are the optics first rate ? Is the RX insert as good as a regular set of presription sunglasses ? Thanks.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:56 PM
Gordon Mc

Default Re: NYX sunglasses

Originally posted by GJr.
Can someone post some website contacts for the NYX glasses ?
Since it ws state that Piedmont Models sells these, I just did a google search for "Piedmont Models nyx", and here's the result: http://www.piedmontmodels.com/nyx_rc_glasses.htm

Google is your friend !

Gordon
Old 06-09-2003, 05:00 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Default sunglasses

I wear Oakley M-Frames with the heater style lenses. These have the advantage of a clear field of vision that normal lenses don't have. On bright sunny days, I use the black iridium lenses (the darkest they have). If it is cloudy or overcast you can try the yellow, amber, or the VR28. The VR28 is very popular with Skeet and Trap shooters.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:06 PM
DavidR

Default sunglasses

Glen,

I had the insert done in my prescription which is a progressive bifocal. They are every bit as good as my regular glasses. The optics are excellent. The system works very well.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:25 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default sunglasses

Yeah David,

I just ordered my prescription for my NYX.. With the standard lens, I can detect no distortion through my entire field of vision. Can't wait til I get the prescription lenses so I can actually see the airplanes I'm flying

-Doug
Old 06-10-2003, 10:46 AM
Jeff S.

Default sunglasses

To the NYX owners, are the prescription inserts for the NYX glasses large enough so that you can't see the edges of the lens when you are wearing them. In other words, is you field of vision perfectly clear with no obstruction from the edges of either the insert or the sunglasses themselves?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 06-10-2003, 11:21 AM
DavidR

Default sunglasses

Jeff,

I have not had any problems with mine. The lens insert does not have a frame around it and the lens is close engouh to your eye that it does not interfere with your field of vision. As with any glasses there is a limit to where you can move your eyeballs and see the frames but I have not felt limited at all with mine. I have tried several different types of sunglasses, prescription glasses tinted, and this is by far the best system I have found. I doubt you will be disappointed.

Doug,

I was the same way I used to wear contacts but would have troubles with them getting dry and irritating my eyes especially on windy days. No telling how many times I flew and landed IFR.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:22 PM
jlchapman

Default sunglasses

Glen,

Just got my first progressive bifocals(regular glasses), have not yet flown. Have you had any problems, or noticed any difference flying with progressive bifocals?

Thanks,

Jerry
Old 06-10-2003, 01:50 PM
DavidR

Default sunglasses

Jerry,

The answer is yes until you get used to the bifocal....it's hell getting old! I have had mine for about a year and it is not big deal, you will miss the bifocal once you get used to it and don't have it.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:35 PM
GJr.
My Feedback: (3)

Default Sunglasses

I too got glasses for the first time. I was convinced to try progressive lenses for my regular glasses, but chose bifocals for sunglasses. I did insist on high quality optics with anti scratch and anti reflective coatings.
I was used to wearing a 'wrap' style lense, but found they were not available in RX except from Oakley. That was okay as I wore Oakleys anyway, but found they do not offer a bifocal in the M Frame. Also, the cost of an M frame with two different color lenses and the frames was about $700.00.
Currently, my vision does not really require the three zones of a full progressive lense, so I would probably opt for a lineless bifocal. The reason the NYX looks interesting is due to the fact you can still have multiple lenses to use with the single RX insert. My concern with this type of system is the fact you are looking through two lenses, the corrective RX insert and the colored lense.
Has anybody using the RX insert noticed any visual clarity or distortion with this arrangement? It seems it would be difficult to to get the curvatures of the two separate lense the same. Also, did the RX lenses come back as good a local optical lab ?
Are there any other options being used by R/C flyers ?
Old 06-10-2003, 08:01 PM
Brian B

Default Re: Sunglasses

Originally posted by GJr.
[BAre there any other options being used by R/C flyers ? [/B]
I just wear my Zurichs over my regular glasses. They are made to fit this way, and work fine for me.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:53 PM
sfaust

Default sunglasses

I've looked at the Zurichs a few times now, and almost bought them, but always decided against them. I felt I didn't get much more than my regular sunglasses provided me. But, I wanted a style that wrapped around more than the ones I was currently wearing.

I just looked up the NYX glasses, and decided to order a pair. They are fairly priced, and the interchangeable lenses allow me to tailor it to the prevailing conditions. I think they will work fine.

Thanks for the pointer guys..
Old 06-10-2003, 09:38 PM
Laura H

Default sunglasses

Rayban or Oakleys are good, especially at American prices :surprised .
Also a cap helps take away glair.

Laura
Old 06-10-2003, 09:56 PM
sfaust

Default sunglasses

Originally posted by Mick - Laura
Also a cap helps take away glair.
And the gray
Old 06-11-2003, 12:42 AM
canadianjosh

Default sunglasses

Oakley's ar enice because they are also ANSI impoct certified. I believe they will withstand an impact of a 30gram object travelling 180km/h without shattering.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.