Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Radios?

Old 04-04-2009, 11:47 PM
10pinbowler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radios?

Hey there so I am mostly just bashing around town however I may be getting into racing and who doesen't like a cleaner running vehicle with less cogging!!

Question is which radio is easier to use? Futaba or Spektrum?

On the Spektrum side which is better DSM or DSM2. I am not looking at latest and greatest just a good solid radio that I can use with my VXL and Raminator and possibly the Traxxas Slash (which is the one I would be racing).

Any input would be fantastic!!!

Thank you.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:24 PM
dacaur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Radios?

Easier to use? Spectrums DX3S or R will be the simplest, There are no double button presses to worry about or cryptic abbreviations to figure out. I had a futaba 3PM fasst and while I wouldn't say it was difficult to use, I did have to refer to the manual fairly often in the beginning to figure out how to do what I wanted to do... On the other hand, I currently have a spektrum DX3S, and Its way easier... (not saying the 3pm was hard, just not as easy as the spektrum) There is only one button you need to worry about, and the scroll wheel is awesome. When you press the button for the menu, you are presented with a list of all the features, in real words, not 3 letter abbreviations like the futaba, you scroll down to what you want and press the same button again.... The 3PM has 4 buttons, and sometimes its hard to remember what you press to do what you want in the beginning.... Also, model match is awesome, so you cant run the model on the wrong radio memory... The DX3S comes with the TX and 2 receivers for $250. The futaba 3pm comes with the TX and 1 reciver for $199, and spare futaba receivers are $90-$100. You can get a spare receiver to work with the spektrum for $35-$40 easily, since the los RTR 2.4ghz cars use spektrum receivers (ebay)

Spektrums DSM2 is better than DSM.