Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Ultimate bi-plane 50cc Broken Canopy

Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Ultimate bi-plane 50cc Broken Canopy

Old 06-18-2009, 02:55 PM
empav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultimate bi-plane 50cc Broken Canopy

Hi John
Finally I received the Ultimate 50cc Biplaneand I am so happy with it.Since it was a problem to ship it to Malta
I told you to send it to a friend of mine in NY and he send it to me in one of his 20ft containers in a very safe place directly to Malta,
and from here I would like to thank both of you.
When I opened the box every thing seemed to bein a perfect condition and well packed,but when Iunloaded the fuselage from
the plastic wrapping my kid noticed some cracks in the Canopy.and a small dent in top of the Rudder covering.
Since the Canopy is irreparablecan you send me onedirectlyto my address in Malta please?
I'm willing to pay for the parts don'tworry, but with the Canopy as it is I can't use it ,
and regarding the rudder if you can supply me one I really appriciate but if not I try to fix it.

I noticed that the Plastic of the Canopy is very brittle.

Thanks and Regards
Manuel

</p>
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17420.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1220567  
Old 06-19-2009, 12:39 PM
opjose

Default RE: Ultimate bi-plane 50cc Broken Canopy

Yes Lexan, which is used on most RC models tends to be very brittle and easy to fracture.

You would think that something else could be used, but Lexan is resistant to glow and gas fuel, and does not discolor quickly in the sun as do other plastics, so it remains the material of choice...

I was reading about a "trick" to fix cracked lexan canopies this morning.

You stick on vynl ( electrical type ) tape on the BACK ( or inside ) of the canopy, using it to join the broken pieces.

In other words put the broken parts together using electrical tape on the inside, to hold everything together.

Then wick small mounts of CA ( very carefully, as you do not want to spill it anywhere else!!! ) on the break seams OPPOSITE the side that has the tape.

Make sure the break joints are tight against each other.

Let it sit for an hour, then pull off the electrical tape.

The sticky glue used on the electrical tape will let go so the CA will not permanently stick the tape to the bottom of the canopy.

The article then recommends using 600 grit sandpaper, and metal polish to finish things off.
It says that if you do this the canopy will appear never to have been broken!

However I would be sure to mess something like that up, so I would merely remove any remaining electrical tape glue with dissolving oils ( WD-40 or something similiar ), clean it up COMPLETELY, mask off the top part, and apply dark paint from the BOTTOM of the canopy.

The clear portion will become black or dark, hiding any cracks.

Once dry remove the masking paper and tape, and the other side will still be shiny and new.

The Canopy will appear to have come this way!

Total time to complete excluding drying time, maybe an hour of effort.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:30 AM
empav

Default RE: Ultimate bi-plane 50cc Broken Canopy

Many Thanks for your interest and to take your time toexplain me how I can fix the canopy,but still I prefer to have a new one since the Ultimate is brand new.

Thanks again.Manuel