Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Hpi Sprint 2 PROBLEM

Old 06-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Kooly1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hpi Sprint 2 PROBLEM

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:normal;mso-pagination:none;mso-layout-grid-align:none;text-autospace:none"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:">Hey. New to this site and new to RC cars. I got an HPI Sprint 2 sport about a month ago and I like it but I'm having an issue with it.<o></o></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:normal;mso-pagination:none;mso-layout-grid-align:none;text-autospace:none"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"><o></o></span><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:">This video will show you what my RC car is doing. Keep in mind that I'm holding my finger on the acceleration the ENTIRE time and I didn't let go until it I completely stopped it.<o></o></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:normal;mso-pagination:none;mso-layout-grid-align:none;text-autospace:none"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"><o></o></span><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:">Any helps would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eJCkPCJak0[/youtube]

<o></o></span></p>
Old 06-29-2009, 04:27 PM
SFC K

Default RE: Hpi Sprint 2 PROBLEM

A couple things you can check...

Make sure transmitter antenna is extended all the way up when in use and is screwed down.
Check to make sure that the crystals are full seated. If you have the SC-15 ESC has it over heated? Apparently that ESC has a built in fail-safe function and will cause your car to drive like it was in your video if overheated. If it does over heat you need to stop driving it immediatly and let it cool down before use again. Did the car come with a manual for the ESC? Their might be some more trouble shooting ideas in there.

I notice too that you were powering up the car before the transmitter. Try reversing the procedure; you could end up with a run away if you continue this practice. See if this makes a difference too.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Kooly1

Thanks, I'm going to look for some trouble-shooting manual tomorrow but as for now it has not overheated (That I know of). When I turned the car on it hasn't been turned on in 24 hours and this is the 3 days it's been like this (trying it once everyday). <div>
</div><div>My question is you mentioned "crystals". No idea what those are? Thanks.</div>
Old 06-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Kooly1

And one more question. If my SC-15 is unrepairable where can I buy a new one? RC Car websites confuse the heck out of me with all of the clutter.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:38 PM
SFC K

The crystals I was referring to look like these. The black one is located on the front of the controller just in front of the steering wheel and the other one is plugged into the receiver which is mounted on you car. Here's a link to what they look like.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEVA6&P=7

If nobody else chimes in I would try HPI's Support center before buying a new ESC and see if they have an answer for you. If it is the ESC, Tower Hobbies has a boat load of ESC's to choose from too. Here's the link to that...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?FVSEARCH=ESC

http://www.hpiracing.com/support/

I wish I was more of a help to you. I don't have that ESC so not sure....Let me know what is is if you contact HPI...

Good luck, Jeff
Old 06-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Kooly1

Thanks I know what the crystal is I just had a different name for them that I forgot. But I thank you for helping me!  
Old 06-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Willystylz

i'd first check all connections......plus is there anything in the house that would interfere with the radio?? is it doing it outside as well? Seems like the esc keeps cutting the power for some reason. Have you tried any other batteries.........is the one you're using fully charged? Also always turn the radio on before the receiver like SFC K mentioned.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Kooly1

I thought it was the  radio's batteries so I replaced with brand new Duracells. It actually started outside in the first place, it stopped completely and almost got run over by a car. Another thing is that after a while it will just completely stop trying and the light will blink green and red faster than normal. But if I manually move the drive belt with my hands it will start going temporarily again.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:46 AM
SFC K

Have you adjusted the pinion or the spur gear? Maybe it is binding and that is what is causing the issue?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Kooly1

I did have to put a new carbon fiber spur gear on it (which is 93 tooth instead of 87 tooth) because the plastic one it came with got torn up from starting and stopping WAY too many times. I did what the manual said when installing the spur gear. I put a piece of tissue paper between the two gear,pushed together, and tightened.<div>
</div><div>The gears seem like they can  move pretty well but IDK.</div>
Old 07-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Willystylz

to get the proper gear mesh put a regular piece of paper in between the spur and pinion...........tissue paper is probably too thin....unless you're using 8-ply LOL. I wonder if your esc overheated at some point causing damage to it. There should be a little bit of play when you move the spur gear with your finger before it turns the motor.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Kooly1

I get good movement out of the gears and they don't grind anymore. I really am lost now.<div>Yesterday I moved the belt with my hand manually and it rode good for like 10 minutes. I put it away so I didn't mess anything up. Just now I tried driving it and it's having the same issue.</div>
Old 07-02-2009, 09:37 PM
SFC K

I'd say it's the ESC...How long have you had the car? Try giving HPI a chance and see if they will replace it. I wouldn't tell them about the gear issue though...

Sounds like it may have over heated at some point....