Notices
JTEC / RADIOWAVE Support Get all your questions regarding JTEC/RADIOWAVE products answered here!

DLE 30 Pitts wrap around

Old 02-26-2010, 06:27 PM
dale691

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE 30 Pitts wrap around

Hi Guy's just wondering if anyone has any reports on this muffler. The stock muffler is very noisy and i'm trying to find a solution, I have run both 18X8 and 19X8 so it's now time for a new muffler. What can I expect from your Pitts muffler?

Thank you Dale
Old 02-28-2010, 05:03 PM
al

Default RE: DLE 30 Pitts wrap around

We do not have any actual numbers on the Dl 30 but it is much quieter than stock and has good performance. With engines in this size catogory we have seen several db in noise reduction and increases in rpm using the wraparound pitts.

Al
JTEC/RADIOWAVE
Old 03-02-2010, 05:41 AM
dale691

Thanks for the info, I have one on the way to me as we speak. Look forward to getting it installed
Old 04-06-2010, 08:14 PM
cpadamo

Does anyone know if the Pitts muffler requires any modification of the firewall, or can it be just bolted on replacing the stock muffler? My DLE 30 with stock muffler measured 95 Db at 9 feet. Unfortunately, a hard landing broke off the exhaust pipe on the Stock muffler. So, I'm in the market for a replacement. I have found both Pitts style and cannister mufflers on line for the DLE 30, most are reasonably priced.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:20 PM
stangman67
My Feedback: (1)

That really depends on what plane it is in, it should work with most planes but inevitably it will have clearance issues in some planes.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:04 PM
cpadamo

I have a Pilot Extra 260. The engine is mounted with the stand offs that come with the engine. It is mounted inverted in this plane.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:06 PM
stangman67

Not owning the plane, once again it is impossible to say. The only way of really knowing is finding someone with the combo (not likely) or trying yourself.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:56 PM
al

If the stock one fit you probably will not have a problem with the wraparound

Al Young
JTEC/RADIOWAVE
Old 04-14-2010, 07:08 PM
stangman67

My wrap around works perfectly with my Wildhare baby edge. Look at my motor box and compare and it should give you a good idea. FYI that is 2.75 inches of standoff, if you have less you would have an issue with my particular plane's box.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:35 PM
PJAMESRC
My Feedback: (19)

AL
JTEC
WILL A PITTS SMOKE MUFFLER WITH A 1.375 HOLE SPAN WORK ON A DL-30 OR DL-40 ENGINE.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH
JIM
Old 10-12-2010, 08:10 AM
Kevin Y
My Feedback: (8)

Hi Jim,

Not sure I understand the question. I believe you may be referring to the outlet tube on a muffler. If so let me put it this way. That diameter is larger than what we would use on most 150 twins. But it all comes down to muffler design and what you want out of the muffler

As for smoke on a gas engine it depends on how much oil and the way its being dumping into the muffler. You would probably get better smoke with a smaller outlet as it would hold the heat of the exhaust in a little longer.

Al
Old 02-05-2011, 07:38 PM
brian36

Do not buy a JTec. I bought one for my dle 30 and what a pile of junk it was. It had pinholes in the poor welds, also they do not have any spacers welded inside were the bolts are to prevent the sides from crushing in when you tighten the bolts. When you tighten the bolts as per instructions. the lock washers after a short time will loose there ability to hold. Anyway I sent mine back for them to build it right and they charged me 25 dollars. don't buy one.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:54 PM
al

Brian,

I am sorry to hear that your are unhappy with your muffler however as the instructions for our mufflers say overtightening a muffler will not be covered under warranty (we cannot control the amount of force someone puts on the bolts or the object they use to tighten the bolts with). It is very easy to keep your muffler tight if you follow the instructions listed below (these instructions are listed on our website and also included with every wrap around pitts muffler). As far as the suggestion of there being pin holes in the muffler, your muffler showed no evidence of pinholes and if it did this would be covered under warranty and we would have been happy to take care of it for you.

Due to the physical size of the DLE 30 wrap around pitts muffler it does not require crush tubes to be installed in the muffler (You will see crush tubes in our mufflers that are a larger physical size such as a DA/DLE 50 wrap around, DA-85 wrap around, or something similar). If your muffler is loosening up you need to check the threads on the cylinder head because you most likely have changed the pitch of the threads in the head. A steel bolt will always win when going against an aluminum head. When the bolts bottom out on the muffler it starts to pull on the threads of the engine if you continue to tighten. I would suggest running a tap down the threads on the cylinder head to make sure they are in the correct pitch.

JTEC Wrap Around Pitts Muffler Mounting Instructions & Tips

1. Clean engine threads and muffler bolts thoroughly with alcohol to remove any oils.
2. Apply a generous drop of blue loc-tite to each bolt.
3. If spacer is provided with muffler it is optional for you to use.
4. If an aluminum plate is included, the mounting bolts must be inserted through the plate prior to mounting.
5. If muffler includes lock washers make sure to use them when installing your muffler.
6. Use high temperature RTV for gasket material. If using spacer makes sure to use high temp RTV on both sides of spacer.
5. Tighten the muffler until snug. Over tightening the muffler may cause damage to the muffler and will void any warranty.
7. Check muffler bolts regularly.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:56 AM
dinorc

Hi, it's a direct bolt-on replacement. Fits fine with regards to the firewall. I installed mine in a Sbach342 and had to cut the two exhaust tubes by 1" to be able to install and remove engine cowling, but I've had excellent results: engine turns 8300 RPM with a 20x6 wood prop (Menz), idle at around 1800.