Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Good first plane?

Old 05-28-2010, 12:12 PM
fasterthanyours

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good first plane?

I'm sure this come up all the time, but I'm really interested in Planes. Helicopters didn't do much for me, but it was fun. I want fast high soaring planes.

At any rate, I'd like to either build a Foam Fighter plane as my first or pickup a cheap "trainer".

I like the designs on RC Foam Fighters, so I'm kind of leaning in that direction just not sure.

Any decent cheap recommendations?

Thanks

Mike
Old 05-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Learning2Fly

Default RE: Good first plane?

If you have not flown a plane I would start with Horizon hobby Super Cub. For about $150 you'll get everything you need to learn to fly. Once your comfortable with that I would move on to parkzones T-28 Trojan. When you have those 2 planes mastered you'll have a good foundation for flying pretty much anything. The Super Cub is a great first plane that is really forgiving. Good luck.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:55 PM
fasterthanyours

I thought about a mini/micro from Parkzone as well. $130, can't beat it. Plus the RTF comes with the 4ch transmitter. I figured getting that would put me in a better position to get some BNF planes after that. Then upgrade to a DX6i later or something better.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:17 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

I would stick with the Horizon Hobby Super Cub. The others you mention are not trainers.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:04 PM
fasterthanyours

Noted, and thanks for your input.

I didn't get training wheels when I got my motorcycle, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express that weekend

Seriously though I to a Motorcycle Safety Course. Now to convence the wife that $170 is better than $130

Thanks all!!
Old 06-01-2010, 07:58 AM
fasterthanyours

Would this radio work with any bind and fly planes?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Old 06-01-2010, 06:12 PM
fasterthanyours

I found a decent review of the SkyFly FS-9X
http://www.helireviews.com/fly-sky-f...h-transmitter/

That manufacturer seems to sell to a lot of resellers who repackage and put their own name on it.

I think Hobby King is sell the same equipment under their own label. This one appears to be a newer version of the same radio. However Hobby Kings got the receivers for sale as well on the cheap.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._%28Mode_2%29_

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idCategory=295

Old 06-01-2010, 06:56 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the hobbyzone super cub is a great plane to start with! is super strong, easy to fly and pretty powerful. i have the LP version(lipo) it comes with a 3s lipo for greater power and longer runtimes. they cost $170 new.
the HZ super cub is a 3channel plane. you have the throttle, rudder and elevons(on the tail) it can do loops, fly upside down(if you start a loop but dont finish it) and is just plane fun

i also have a Dynam "icanfly". it isnt the same quality as the super cub. but it comes with a brushless motor, a lipo battery and its a 4channel plane, so it also has ailerons(on the wings) it can roll, do death spirals and more.
it is harder to learn on this plane, as you have 2 sticks, instead of one stick and a throttle slide like on the super cub.
the issues with the dynam, is that the directions and included glue suck. but use your own glue and figure out yourself how it goes together and its a nice plane for the money....oh, did i mention it costs $130 "ready to fly"! that price includes shipping.
i have put my dynam through some rought landings, a few crashes and even flew it into a tree. the damage was always low and easy to fix. the only thing i have had to buy is spare props. everything else has held up good.

both planes are fun. i still recommend the super cub. you can also buy the HZ drop module. it plugs into the bottom of the plane and holds a plastic bomb or a parachute man(both included) and drops them when you hit the button on the controller. it sounds silly, but is alot of fun
[:-] -thats what people look like when they see the super cub drop the parachute guy!
Old 06-01-2010, 08:20 PM
fasterthanyours

Thanks for the write up.

Any thoughts on the HK-7X?