Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Heng Long Panzer III Review

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Heng Long Panzer III Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 08:43 PM
mcswood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heng Long Panzer III Review

This is the sound and smoke version with metal tracks, sprockets, idlers, and gears.
It came from RC TANK World. I added the turned aluminum axle supports and have been beating
the hell out of it for a few weeks now. The smoke unit worked for about an hr. I did everything as instructed
but haven't attempted to fix it.
The tank runs perfectly in all functions. The stock suspension is great and fun to watch moving.
The track pins work them selves out and bend. I've replaced 3.
I'm sure someone has a fix for this.
I'm pleased with how rugged this little tank is and will buy more.
It came with a 4200 battery that runs long even in rough terrain.
Only the commanders hatch opens giving acces to the airsoft switch.
The figure although painted is still lame so i leave it out.
Overall the tank was a fine buy and it's a lot of fun.
Hope this helps peaple like me that search high and low for reviews before buying anything.
Mike
Old 07-09-2010, 10:54 PM
rrudytoo
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Heng Long Panzer III Review

I, too, have a Heng Long Pz III and it is the only tank I currently own having just got into this segment of the hobby a few months ago. Mine is the S & S version but with the plastic tracks and I sway between modifying what I have or buying another tank. I am attracted to the 3:1 gear boxes and the metal tracks which would improve the realism and appearance of the model but for the same amount of money I could get the soon to be released HL King Tiger. Decisions, decisions.

You're right about the Pz III being fairly robust, Mike. I've pushed mine pretty hard and with the exception of a minor issue with the idler wheels working loose and a track coming off once, it has dealt with everything I've thrown at it and continues to run just fine. Like you, I will be acquiring more of these as time goes by and I hope to hear of others in the Greenville, SC area who share the same interest in armor.

You did a super job on detailing your tank and this product review is a good idea. Good on you, Mike!

Al

PS: Does anyone have a recommendation for a fast charger operated from 12 volt DC (110 volt AC optional) to use with the receiver battery? And what type of connector is used with the Heng Long products? I've looked at some chargers on the Tower Hobbies site and they list connectors by name but I don't know one from the other.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:54 PM
HondoBob

Wow, that is one AWESOME Pz3! You did a much better job with weathering and wash than I could with my lil' Heng Long Pz3 (check out http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_97...tm.htm#9719535). What did you do to get such great weathering effects?

Two thumbs up dude!
Old 07-10-2010, 01:40 AM
BiggTony

mcswood,<div></div><div>Very nice looking Panzer III. You been running those tracks on paved surfaces, huh! lol<div>It's pretty common for the smoker to go out, which is why many of us just do away with it or come up with some form of modification or after market mods. As for the pins working themselves out, some use the priming method.....which is just painting the tracks with brown primer which not only gives the effect of rusty and muddy tracks, but helps to keep the pins in place. I used just a dab of thread lock on pins that keep working themselves out. It's worked great, but how effective.....I don't know since I primed my tracks a couple weeks later.</div><div></div><div>rrudytoo,</div><div></div><div>That's one of the burdens of this hobby! You want another tank, but you want the tank you have to be at it's best.....but for the cost of improvements....you could have another tank. If I could do this all over again, to alleviate the chaos that goes on in my work station. I would work on one tank, improve it to a point where I'm happy then purchase the next. It's far more difficult to work on 3-4 tanks and a slower process to purchase upgrades for everyone of them.....mostly because the voice of reason tries to rationalize the funds going into each investment when you could buy another tank. I hit upon that again recently, since I won't be happy until I've owned every 1/16th scale tank I want. Could have invested $300-$400 into the three tanks I have and finally make them all fully upgraded......but I figured, "Hey, I'd rather have another tank and this time its gonna be a Tamiya." Really happy with that decision.</div><div></div></div>
Old 07-10-2010, 06:32 AM
philipat

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Charger: MRC Super Brain 977...uses both 12V DC and 110 A/C; and can charge two batteries at the same time.

Battery plugs: Std Tamiya-type plug

Exiting pins: some glue them into place. The FAQ (sticky in this forum) has some other ideas.

Smoker: never last and only burns battery juice. I dump them from mine.

Nice work on your tank. I like my PzIII; it's pretty reliable.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:09 AM
Colin Jones

"4200 battery"
The stock 1700mAh seems to fill most of the space. Could fit a 2200 NiMH as it is about the same size. 2S lipo maybe?

What kind is it? Any trick to getting it to fit?
Old 07-11-2010, 07:35 AM
mcswood

Weathering was simply spraying rusty metal primer from a distance of a foot or so
and following with flat black (same distance). Then the hinges and such were lightly dabbed.
The fast easy approach.
The 4200 battery is marked power i zer and fits easily with room to spare.
I'll add a pic. of it soon.
They may be available at RC Tank World were I got the tank.

I also wanted to note that the turned aluminum axle supports were ordered at the same time
I purchaced the tank. The seller included an easy install help page in the package.
I called him prior to shipping to ask what else I should buy (from him) to make the tank better.
He said the axle supports were all he do (to help the gearboxes last) and TALKED ME OUT OF
waisting my money on a metal hull and fixins. I'm glad he's honest as I am more than happy
with the III as is.

The headlights stay on (bright) while running. This is kind of annoying but I'm sure some black paint
would be a quick fix.
With the sound all the way down an annoying hum or buz is present.
Is this the smoker ? Tell me how to loose it ? please !

Thanks,
Mike

</p>
Old 07-13-2010, 10:47 AM
dash69

Hello All,

I have the same Pz3 with stock suspension and have the metal hull version on order. I went for the 3 to 1 gear set on this tank and I really think it makes a great deal of difference. This tank with teh reduction gears, will crawl up most any slope within reason but I found that the reduction also gives more control at slower speeds and calms down the "Super Spin" feature. IMO it is worth the investment for this tank as it will surely run trouble free for a long time. Mine is two years old and runs perfect. I use my and make long runs over hills and coarse sand often 30 minutes non stop. It just handles it with ease. It has been in mud but by accident ( my fault) It got dirty and has split the rear idler. I replaced ti witht the type that has screws holding them together. I still have teh stock set up on the rear idler. Due to other posts I may want to replace this with the metal idler adjustment kit.

I think I may add the metal suspension arms. I did not know of them when I ordered this tank from Phil. IT is one of the best runners I have. Of course my Bulldog will go places the Pz3 will not tread. lol

Hope my metal Pz3 arrives soon. I will post a pic.

Good luck all with your Pz3's

Be well,

David
Old 07-13-2010, 12:23 PM
cheap tank

The pz3 is the best running hl tank i have had stock. un fourtunatly i just gutted mine to build my mato sherman. I have the parts to put it back togeather just havent found the time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96546.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1467360  
Old 07-14-2010, 12:42 PM
dash69

Mike there is a swithch that turns off the smoker. It lives on the bottom of the hull I think. Been awhile . This will tell you if the smoker is the noise. Only other thing I can tink of is the trim on the transmitter may be out of adjustment. If you move slide switch next to the throttle up and down it may stop the noise. I removed my smoker.as it made more noise than smoke. I hear the new ones are much better and quiet.

Let us know what you find.

Be well,

David
Old 01-08-2011, 05:46 PM
kingtigerliker

all you panzer 3 owners should consider getting a tamtoys barrel for good looks and max realism      i would show some pics but i dont know how </p>