Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Sankyo R/C 1/12 Tanks

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 03:16 PM
bowlman

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Sankyo R/C 1/12 Tanks

Has anyone got one of these Sankyo tanks there is a guy on the bay has one for sale for $899.00 . Go to the bay and type in 1/12 RC King Tiger Tank! Huge compared to Tamiya 1/16! and it will bring up the tank.

http://www.tokyo-hobbies.com/sankyo.html

Thanks
Jimmy
Old 03-31-2010, 03:32 PM
Panther F

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Default RE: Sankyo R/C 1/12 Tanks

To be honest with you Jimmy, I really don't like the way they look for that kinda dough. That one is supposed to be a Type 74.

- Jeff
Old 03-31-2010, 03:38 PM
bowlman

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts

Ya im sticking to the 1/16 just was wondering if anyone had one and how well it worked takes a 12v battery but no turret or gun movement could make a good project tank for someone who wanted to try .

thanks
Jimmy
Old 03-31-2010, 05:01 PM
Turbobearcat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those look HORRIBLE!!!
Old 03-31-2010, 06:06 PM
DAP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had both. I wouldnt recommend either.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:20 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They don't look even close too what there supposed to be to me. The KT is horrible, if thats what it's supposed to be.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:00 PM
Tanque

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I have had 3 of the 4 models Sankyo made. I'll admit I had the 1/12 King Tiger in the early 1980s;
I have the type 74 which is a 1/10 scale model and 2 type 61 models which are 1/8 scale( see my avatar).

Sankyo also made a 1/10 type 90 which I've never seen up close.

The models all share a common transmission which is excellent and capable of neutral turns.
I show an example on my website. The bodies of the Sankyo line are mostly made from sheet steel
neatly spot welded. Turrets are cast aluminum.

The type 74 isn't a bad model but while is lacking details it is a sturdy workhorse. My example
was intended for gas/glow power and I have an O.S. FS-48 in it. My model is highly modified
in part at the detail level but mostly mechanically. I remade just about everything.

Of my two type 61 models one is from 1982, the other from about 1993. Both are powered by Zenoah
23cc gasoline engines; the earlier model is equipped with an on board generator to keep it's batteries charged.
They are good performers, impressive to say the least at 114 pounds each but very loud. The models were
available only fully constructed sans radio equipment The detail isn't great but it is such a large canvas you
are only limited by your imagination.

The seller of that Sankyo stand_way_off_scale KT stretches the truth if he ever knew it. The model does not
weigh close to 60 pounds. The weight comes from steel and all zinc alloy running gear; tracks and wheels.
The other models have aluminum wheels and zinc tracks. And to equip any of the models that didn't come
with turret rotation is not just a question of " some intuition " to set up that model ( or the Type 74)
with turret rotation and maingun elevation.

While I've gone on record before as thinking their KT is just ghastly the other models are worth a consideration.
If a KT of theirs is available for < $400 it is worth it for just the transmission. The last price I got
from Tokyo Hobbies for just the transmission was > $600 with out postage.

Jerry
Old 04-02-2010, 04:07 PM
karel47

Not worth it that's my opinion, better buy a set of tamiya tanks, there are also very reliable
Old 01-08-2011, 11:55 AM
[email protected]

Hi Tangue,

Greetings from Copenhagen.
I used to work in Japan and bought one Sankyo Type 74 tank with me. Now I regret that I didn't buy Type 61
also at that time. It was on display in hobby shop in Osaka for years. At that time I thought it was too big, but now I
long for it. Now I'm in late 40s' and I think if I want to enjoy it, it should be now. Before I could no longer carry it around
, or risk breaking my back. (Well, I still carry Type 74 , in seperate pieces, but for Type 61, I thing I have to ask someone
for help)
<u>Is there any way you could consider sell the other Type 61 to me</u> ? Since you already have 2 of this type, and
they are almost undestroyable. A friend of mine living in D.C. and he's willing to cordinate the shipping to his place ,
if you agreed.
Thanks for you kind consideration in advance.

Sean

ORIGINAL: Tanque

I have had 3 of the 4 models Sankyo made. I'll admit I had the 1/12 King Tiger in the early 1980s;
I have the type 74 which is a 1/10 scale model and 2 type 61 models which are 1/8 scale( see my avatar).

Sankyo also made a 1/10 type 90 which I've never seen up close.

The models all share a common transmission which is excellent and capable of neutral turns.
I show an example on my website. The bodies of the Sankyo line are mostly made from sheet steel
neatly spot welded. Turrets are cast aluminum.

The type 74 isn't a bad model but while is lacking details it is a sturdy workhorse. My example
was intended for gas/glow power and I have an O.S. FS-48 in it. My model is highly modified
in part at the detail level but mostly mechanically. I remade just about everything.

Of my two type 61 models one is from 1982, the other from about 1993. Both are powered by Zenoah
23cc gasoline engines; the earlier model is equipped with an on board generator to keep it's batteries charged.
They are good performers, impressive to say the least at 114 pounds each but very loud. The models were
available only fully constructed sans radio equipment The detail isn't great but it is such a large canvas you
are only limited by your imagination.

The seller of that Sankyo stand_way_off_scale KT stretches the truth if he ever knew it. The model does not
weigh close to 60 pounds. The weight comes from steel and all zinc alloy running gear; tracks and wheels.
The other models have aluminum wheels and zinc tracks. And to equip any of the models that didn't come
with turret rotation is not just a question of " some intuition " to set up that model ( or the Type 74)
with turret rotation and maingun elevation.

While I've gone on record before as thinking their KT is just ghastly the other models are worth a consideration.
If a KT of theirs is available for &lt; $400 it is worth it for just the transmission. The last price I got
from Tokyo Hobbies for just the transmission was &gt; $600 with out postage.

Jerry
Old 01-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Tanque

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Hello Sean. I'm not so inclined to sell one of my Type 61 models for as you say they're out of production. I don't even think it would be worth
it to sell one as large and heavy as they are but perhaps you will surprise me with your offer so PM me if you want to. I will likely not sell but I hear of these coming up for sale once in a great while and will let you know about when I do. I have little desire to get a 3rd example;
2 is quite enough.Did you contact that seller on the unmentionable auction site who recently had a type 61 for sale?

Jerry