Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Jetiger

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 11:56 AM
AltaTed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jetiger

I got a Jetiger for Christmas. It's my first Delta wing and has only 2 controm flaps. One on each side. The plane came without any paper or manualsof any kind and I don't know how to connect the 2 servos to the receiver correctly or set up the transmitter if needed.

I appreciate any help I can get as the seller, Hobby King has yet to reply to a months worth of emails I sent..

AltaTed
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88305.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	1545347  
Old 01-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Chip_Mull
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Jetiger

Look in your transmitter manual under "Elevons". If it's not in the manual, get a new transmitter.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:47 AM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Ted,
What kind of transmitter (Tx) do you have? For the "elevons" to work the transmitter needs to have elevon mixing and if its so equipped the mix has to turned on. Im thinking that one servo would be plugged into the elevator and the other to the aileron reciever port.

If your Tx doesnt have a elevon mixing function you could buy a stand alone mixer that plugs in between the servos and your reciever.

Cheers,
James
Old 01-11-2011, 07:58 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As noted you must use elevon mixing and your Tx must be capable of that mix (almost all modern Txs are now) And you must enable the mix in your tx programing. Two servos are used, one on each surface and the with the mix the elevons will provide pitch control working together and they will work differentially for roll control.

The programing of elevons for various brands of tx Will vary as well as the specific rx ports used. That why if you if you want more specific help you need post all the information on what radio equipment you are using.

If you are using old simple four or six channel radios with no mixing then it will not work with that type of airplane. There are older mechanical mixers as well as after market electronic mixers but generally these are not practical on a small parkie or folks do not want to spend the money on a electronic aftermarket mixer.

John
Old 01-11-2011, 08:27 AM
AltaTed

Thanks, I'm trying to find out how to set up the mix in my Xmitter but the manual on line is not available right now. It locks up every time.  I wish their "support" would reply. I patiently wait. I have a new Fly Sky Transmitter  FS-CT6 in case someone reading these knows the answer for this one.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:49 AM
AltaTed

I have a Fly Sky  FS-CT6 and all I can say without any manual is it has Switches A and B and (2) VR pot's at the top but no Mix switch identified. I'm told some TX  set up the mix using computer setup but with no manual and I don't have a clue on use of the setup that came CD wise for my computer.

I have a gut feel they sent me an old technology TX because I ordered a 72 mHz unit since I had some equipment requiring that.

I also have a new 2.4 E Fly TX but no mixing switch with this one either and again, the manual says nothing about mixing setup. This TX arrived new 3 months ago.  I find terrible support for these brands and am ready to add a 3rd TX, probably a Fatuba to my growing collection if I fail this search for answers.

AltaTed
Old 01-11-2011, 09:00 AM
JohnBuckner

Sorry I have no idea about those inexpensive Hong Kong Tx's And product support is likely to be almost non existant. If you are starting new or a retunee I think it is a mistake to not get into 2.4 systems and use one of the majors. My favorite is hands down Hitec I also use five XPS which was the first on the market but do not recomend them.

John
Old 01-11-2011, 09:21 AM
AltaTed

John, I'm just getting into this wonderful new hobby.  I'm an obsolete ME , MS  after being a CEO for 35 years with no time for myself. I thought sticking my toe in by getting an ARF complete package would give me what I needed to find out if this was "it" for me.  I found quickly a total passion for it but too late to know what I got was not really what I needed.

As all in life is, buy quality and it's good investment, Buy cheap and you get cheap. I cant find or get answers to any questions or problems from those suppliers I had the impression were the best ones to buy from. I still don't know who I should be dealing with to find good support as I asked for here. the mechanical connections were simple but needing a mixer not as simple so I search.

Your suggestion of HiTec is interesting as I have yet to see that brand name in my wandering the web. I have one small shop in town and he handles only Fatuba that looks like for better than the Fly Sky and E-Fly brands of TX I now have. (72 Mhz and 2.4 respectivly).  I bought new, they look and feel great but provide no answers.

AltaTed
Old 01-11-2011, 11:23 AM
JohnBuckner

Your experiance with the Hong Kong suppliers is just about as expected In many cases the product may be fine however nothing is free and if cheap is a prerequisite in these cases then customers support is the first thing to go as that is one of the most expensive thing to provide with a product.

The next thing to go is included customer manuals and instructions since developing these in multiple languages is far more expensive that the product. The result can an will degenerate to pictographs some time with even the wrong product in the pictographs.

If customer support is a factor to you its a no brainer to stick to mainline RC products and the top four are Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics and JR with Spectrum being a related cousin to JR. All of these have fine product and most importantly customer support.

Hitec is a major player (just search, their stuff is sold everywhere) that just happens to have the most customer friendly service avalible and I have done business with them all. The new Hitec systems are superb and to date I have them in approximately 35 Aircraft now.

As for just getting into this hobby if you are trying to learn to fly by yourself or even with a buddy cord and instructor that little duct fan hot rod is an exceedingly poor choice that likely to disappont, it is no trainer. You need a real trainer and thats a fact whether its electric or glow powered.

John
Old 01-11-2011, 12:03 PM
gsoav8r

Ted, John is 100% right on.

Im sorry that youve discovered late that some low cost transmitters dont have an on-board user interface (nice LCD screens, buttons and such) and require you to connect the Tx to a PC to program it. Im guessing the FS-CT6 may have the elevon mixing but you have to get the software up and running on your PC to do it.

Searching Fly Sky FS-CT6 on google found user threads on multiple massage boards. Pretty lame that you have to resort to a third party for help for something that should be rather simple.

I highly suggest you find a club and good instructor. See what folks at the club are using and ask tons of questions. Trying to get started alone will cost you more money than necessary. You do need a good trainer type airplane to learn with. Ive got suggestions for those if youd like.

All the brands of transmitters that John mentioned are nice. Theyre all represented where I fly and weve had good luck with them all. Nice user interfaces on the Tx itself, good or great manuals...you would have been up setup in one evening most likely.

Cheers.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:10 PM
AltaTed

John, your email is well accepted and I appreciate your guidance and suggestions. This was exactly what I was hoping to get from the forum and believe me, you have sent me the right direction to fly. 

I do have a trainer and until it's mastered (if I ever can do it) an possibly several more, I will play with the Jetiger but that, later on.  I plan way ahead and know the challange of flying a delta plane like this one. I chose this model as more forgiving and capable of slower flying for non experts but believe me I understand it's still way above my abilities and I'll not put it in the air for quite a while. I also look at it as my trainer that I probably will crash till it's wipred out.

I am trying to make sure the equipment I have can serve my needs imediate and further out. Also, while the plane is still in some kind of warranty I need to make sure it's set to fly and so far I have s number of issues with the seller on missing parts for it. I;m checking out what I did get in the box to be sure it's ok in every respect. Also my learning curve on what I'll need in the future to fly it or whatever I have.

I also need to know the capabilities of my TX units since I have no manuals at all for them. Both came with CD's and cables with USB plugs so,  why and what's in them that I can use ?  I did read somewhere than some TX's can use internal programming to accomplish the mix I need. I don't know how so I'm hoping it can find enough to knw it's there or not there.

I hope you are availble for my future questions I know I will have many of... In the mean time I get only simulator work until our weather clears up.  More snow predicted shortly..

AltaTed
Old 01-11-2011, 12:25 PM
AltaTed

I really appreciate both of you guiding me as you are with great advice I cherish.  I sure agree about how lame having to go through all this in search of things like support on either of my TX units.  I appreciate you looking for me, knowing what to look for for me and I don't take this for granted.

There is a local Flying club south of me in Bellingham that I'm trying to join. I'm on their waiting list. I hear they have some problems and may loose their air port located on an indian reservation in an area only sutible for the great little airport they have. But, indians will be indians and they love to flex what ever power they have over the rest of us. I can't get help from the club until I become a member.  That may not be too long if they loose their landing strip...

Thanks again and I look forward to working with you over time.

AltaTed
Old 01-11-2011, 12:54 PM
gsoav8r

AltaTed, You speaking of a club with potential probs made me wonder if your aware of other possible AMA clubs in your area.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

I did a quick search on zip 98248 within 50 miles and found what appears to be a handful of clubs within reason (30 miles?).

Cheers.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:12 PM
AltaTed

Thanks for the thought, The next closet club to us is over the pass and about a 2 hour drive from here. We are right on the Canadian border and out where we have lots of trees but not much else. As one member called them, Plane grabbers.

Thanks for the listing. I'll search and hope I find a closer place where I can join also. I appreciate this and as said earlier, I appreciate all the resources(People) I have met on this great forum.

The first 2 are my front and back yards today. You can't see the lower hay field withlots of area to fly if the weather ever changes to warm (60F).

The last shot is the road to Seattle from here.

Cheerio,

AltaTed