Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Christen Eagle

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Christen Eagle

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 09:32 PM
bipelover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Christen Eagle

I just bought a Christen Eagle from Giant Scale Planes at the Joe Nall fly-in this past weekend. The plane calls for a 120 4-stroke and although I'm not going to be doing any spectacular aerobatics with it, I don't want to be underpowered either. Been there and done that with a previous bipe I've got. The plane weighs in the 11.5 - 12 lb. range so will I be safe with a 120? Thanks for the help!
Old 05-21-2002, 01:21 AM
Biplane-RCU

Default Christen Eagle

I don't think you would be happy at 120. I flew a CG Ultimate at 10 lbs with a Saito 120 on 30%, it was a dog. The plane flew really well at 9.5 lbs and a OS 1.08. Super power and unlimited vertical. If you intend to add smoke, larger battery, bigger servos I would suggest a 135~148 depending on the engine capability.

Consider what Giant Scale recommends and step-up one or two sizes again depending on the engine capability. I also like to talk with a manufacturers tech. guys. Ask questions and pay attention to how they answer. They may not be totally honest but they will hesitate to lead you you the wrong direction. Ask about a 135 or 148 size, see what they say.
Old 05-21-2002, 11:22 AM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

Default Christen Eagle

I have the Dave Patrick Ultimate with a Saito 150. It flies great but I think weighs about 1/2 lb less than yours. The Saito 180 would be a good choice IMHO.

Joe Brannon
Old 05-21-2002, 02:22 PM
jbrundt
My Feedback: (2)

Default Christen Eagle

My PILOT Eagle weighs 12.5lbs and does very well with a ST3000. If I am not mistaken GSP's Eagle is pretty close in size to the old PILOT one (64" w/s). This bipe has a lot of drag to overcome. I highly doubt a 1.20 4 stroke would be enough. Even a Satio 1.80 would be marginal. Drag not weight is the factor here.

Just my opinion.

to see my eagle go to http://www.geocities.com/jbrundt/eagle.html

Jeff
Old 05-21-2002, 10:16 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Christen Eagle

Consider a OS 160fx.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:00 AM
MAVERICK 1

Default RE: Christen Eagle

Hi Jeff. I recently just bought a Pilot christen Eagle (64 inch w/s). Does the Super Tiger 3000 really have enough power to do some serious aerobatics? I happen to have one of these engines (32cc i think) and was wondering if it was up to the job?
Old 01-15-2011, 06:24 PM
jbrundt
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Christen Eagle

ORIGINAL: MAVERICK 1

Hi Jeff. I recently just bought a Pilot christen Eagle (64 inch w/s). Does the Super Tiger 3000 really have enough power to do some serious aerobatics? I happen to have one of these engines (32cc i think) and was wondering if it was up to the job?

Maverick,

How serious aerobatics? The ST-3000 (or 3250) will fly the PILOT Eagle in a scale manner. If you are after 3D aerobatics then you'll need to go to a larger motor.

Jeff