Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Panther A conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 06:58 AM
Socioanthroman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panther A conversion

As most of you all know I a planning on modifying a Tamiya Panther G into a Ausf A. My only question, and this might be a little naive, but I was planning on gluing the top hull to the bottom, just because I am planning on there be a lot of play when using the profiline kit, which is ment for the Heng Long takes. I was thinking about picking up the WeCoHe metal rear hull piece so I could insert the battery pack through the back and not hav to lift the top off. With the plans I have it should work. What do you guys think?</p>
Old 02-12-2011, 07:22 AM
SgtPearce

Default RE: Panther A conversion

one thing i have learned from being here, "Pictures or it never happened" lol take lots of pictures, this sounds like a really interesting prodject Good Luck
Old 02-12-2011, 08:19 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a good idea since it will make any turret or upper hull work very difficult. Aswell as completely make it impossible too access the gear boxees and electronics.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Socioanthroman

Very Very Very true.  The group I belong to for R/C tanking are very laid back, and I am the only axis guy running.  Everybody else runs shermans.  We sound a little boring, but all of us are starting out.  All of us used to build 1/35 armor and were members of AMPS and got turned off by the local judges.  We all needed a change and so we started building 1/16 like the static trumpter one, and now have moved on to the Tamiya full option R/C.  We all like detail, and the wedge at the front of the Panther and the way it is set up by Tamiya bugs the living snarf out of us.  I thought about complete scratch building the upper hull out of metal and making it all based on screws, so I can unscrew parts and screw back on with accurate screws but ran into the problem finding a 1/8 hex screw head or smaller.  so far I have a Tamiya panther g 1/16, WeCoHe rear hull, and the profiline panther D kit coming.  All in All it is looking to be a lot of fun!</p>
Old 02-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Socioanthroman

<font face="Arial" size="2">The Panther A, I plan on building is LSSAH Hauptsturmfuehrer Gruhle Panther ausf A in Normandy.
</font>
Old 02-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Panther G

You may have some issues with the Tamiya lower hull as the Profiline D kit includes the hull wedge not just the upper hull wedge. the lower hull actually followed the contour of the side armor wedge. Don't know if that will interfere with anything in the Tamiya lower.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Socioanthroman

Really? 
Old 02-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Socioanthroman

Are you sure because it looks like the bottom of the wedge is stock?
Old 02-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Panther G

The "wedge"  is the slope of the side armor not the front hull glacious. On a G the side armor "slopes 'on a continuous angle. On an D and A models there is a "Wedge"in the side armor at the back end of the upper hull. You cannot see the wedge in photos of tanks with the Shurzen skirt armor. The profiline kit has this wedge incorporated into the upper hull pieces so a conflict with a Tamiya Panther lower hull may exist. The upper hull panniers which are the sections that extend out over the tracks follow the same angles as the wedge and the angled slope of the G model. They are not just straight .<div> I'm not certain there will be any problems but just making you aware of the possibility. 

</div>
Old 02-13-2011, 10:38 AM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Tail end Charlie did work on an Ausf "D" model.....

http://desertarmor.com/DAK_PROJECTS/Panther_D.html#0
Old 02-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Socioanthroman

Sorry Panther G, I really thank you for all your help.  It looks like the underside of the Wedge will not meet up correctly on the Tamiya metal hull.   Thanks for the heads up.  I was originally planning on soddering on the sides of the wedge with aluminum.  My fav. tanks are the panther A and D's.  I build a tone of dragon kits in 1/35 scale, and I plan on kinda building it the way they had you build the wedges on the models.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:58 PM
hdbeast

ORIGINAL: Socioanthroman

I thought about complete scratch building the upper hull out of metal and making it all based on screws, so I can unscrew parts and screw back on with accurate screws but ran into the problemfinding a 1/8 hex screw head or smaller. so far I have a Tamiya panther g 1/16, WeCoHe rear hull, and the profiline panther D kit coming. All in All it is looking to be a lot of fun!</p>

If your looking for very small hex bolts and nuts try here, great guy to buy from, ships fast. http://www.scalehardware.com/

For some larger bolts and nuts with good prices and fast shipping look here. http://reactivemetals.com/ click on the CD catalog and go to page 17.

Gary
Old 02-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Panther G

No problem. That is kind of what i thought might happen. Without actually seeing the kit it's hard to see all the points that may not match up well. As the post above had shown, it can be done but not without having to do some cutting. My biggest worry would be the idler adjustment mechanism and if it would affect that in any way. Other than that itm still can be done. I crammend a Tamiya Tiger speaker box into an Asiatam Tiger lower hull. Took some cutting and patching but i got it too work and it even gave me enough room under it to run 2 battery packs. Nice little bonus there.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Panther G

The only problem I see with the DAK club conversion is the fact that the D and A had a different side armor angle than the G. On the G the angle was decreased to allow the same hull to be used on the JagdPanther. The D and A models had too steep angle to allow this use of the hulls so all the Jagd's where based on a G lower hull. The conversion above did not address this. Not that i would want to cut that far into a 700.00 dollar kit either, but if you know what your looking at it may be quite obvious that the angle is not
correct. This also affects the rear hull plate and the front glacious plate. I also don't know if the Profiline kitaddressesthat either.
I would just buy a lower hull for a HL Panther. That is what the kit was based on and you can always upgrade the suspension components. The HL hulls are much better than they used to be as far as the running gear is concerned.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:26 PM
tailend charlie

I beg to differ with you. The angles were cut and are correct. I used a Dragon model and the Panzer Tracts No.5-1 book to get the specs. The Glacis and rear plate are at spec width from top to bottom. So that would make the angles correct. When I do my tanks I do them as corret as deemed possible. Thats why they take forever to get done.

Richard
Old 02-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Panther G

OK OK take it easy. Didnt mean to get you all rilled up. LOL. Ijust stated or what I meant was it was difficult to tell if the angles are corrected. I have no dought you did your homework. The project looks very good. The biggest thing here ws would the Tamiya lower hull work with the Profiline kit without too much interference. Thats all.
I may have not worded my earlier statement properly and I appologize.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:09 PM
tailend charlie

I am not rilled up, just the fact of this statement with out asking just bothered me; (The conversion above did not address this. Not that i would want to cut that far into a 700.00 dollar kit either, but if you know what your looking at it may be quite obvious that the angle is not correct.). Just wanted people to know that the angles are correct and if this Profiline kit has the same scale angles it should have no problem fitting.

I too would like to know how accurate this kit is. From looking at it I see subtle inaccuracies that can be fixed and also this kit looks like a late D or more geared to an "A" set up. I spent hours making the grates and fan covers to be exact. Even the right count of bolts on the rims. Also the cupola out of aluminum and all the little things to make mine a Early D and this kit with some mods could have saved me hours. OH well that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Richard
Old 02-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Panther G

Yes I can plainly see the quality in your build. I did not see the photo of the front glacious where you can see the angles had been changed.
The comment about knowing what your looking at was not directed at your build, though now i se how it can be read that way.
I am also wondering how correct the kit is. When you did you G to D did you check Tamiya's angles first against the specs. I'm wondering how close they are to being correct.
If they are not correct this could cause some issues when you go to change the side armor angle. In curious now. I think I will check my own Panther G ( Tamiya) too see if they are infact correct for an G model.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Socioanthroman

I think I am going with a Wecohe hull and other stuff, because the styrene looks like it can be cut to form at the angle of the the wedge.  I will then canabalize my King Tiger kit for the electrical parts, and leave my panther g untouched.  Just the idea of murdering a $700 kit kind of freaks me out and the Heng Long panthers just don't look good to me period.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:06 PM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: tailend charlie

I spent hours making the grates and fan covers to be exact. Even the right count of bolts on the rims. Also the cupola out of aluminum and all the little things to make mine a Early D and this kit with some mods could have saved me hours. OH well that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Richard
If you sratchbuild it, it will come out as a kit. Happens to me every time.