Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Building an off road track

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 07:32 PM
EFhatchy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building an off road track

I'm planning on building an off road track for my Revo at my grandpa's this spring. He's got probably a 30'x60' area of land that he has tilled up for their old garden that he doesn't hay on that I think will be a good place for it. He's got a tractor with a bucket and also has a ripper and grater attachments for it. I will probably be the only one running on it. Maybe two trucks if I get my other Revo running. But what width lanes should I use? I've got a bit of experience shaping jumbs for bikes and dirtbikes. Should I shape the turns? Or would the Revo be able to hold a flat corner?

Thanks,
Sawyer
Old 02-21-2011, 03:10 PM
EFhatchy

Default RE: Building an off road track

Bump for some good info for a newb.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:16 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would go 10 foot wide. no less than 8 foot.
i recall reading in a RC mag that suggested 60x100 foot as the min size for a 1/10 scale rc track. if you can get gramps to let you use a bit more land you should try. if not you can still have fun on a smaller track. but you may not have enough room to get your truck upto top speed. jumps will have to be kinda small, otherwise youll just end up jumping right out of the track!
Old 02-21-2011, 03:30 PM
EFhatchy

He does have some surrounding land around what he's got tilled that isn't used for haying. Maybe I could get him to till up some more land for it. I'm sure he'll go for it because he is into cars and tinkering with ****. We'll probably end up lowering the surface to get some dirt because there isn't much around his place that isn't full of gravel. Unless I could find someone to bring some dirt for cheap. Another problem would be po'ed neighbors. But I don't think they'll be an issue because we tore around his place on dirtbikes before and no one raised any hell. And he usually plows everyone out when it snows. Hopefully my Revo will be here tomorrow so I can take it to a buddy and have it looked at. Then ground breaking next month. Still frozen around here. How do Revos like snow anyways?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:36 PM
FahrtAutoRC

W run 10ft wide lanes on our outdoor track at the LHS but it is fairly large (although not 100% of the dimensions). Out indoor track is 100'X40' and we run 8 ft lanes, although the biggest thing we run there is Escales, cant even really run full size truggies because they block the lanes too much. Hope this helps!
Old 02-21-2011, 04:10 PM
EFhatchy

So 8 foot lanes would be fine for one, maybe two trucks? If I ever get anyone interested in running theirs then we could always expand the track.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:15 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Should be plenty, and if you set your track up right you can maximize lap length with the narrower lanes. And to add some speed, Id recommend an easy speedier jump mixed in with the turn goin into the straight, and a nice sweeper coming off of it. Here is the track with the 8 ft lanes we race indoors at.

Note, there are a couple of different layouts pictured, as we change them up about every month and a half, and not all the pics are A-1 quality but you get the point. And there is a couple of lineup pics so you can see the scale of the track versus the vehicles we run on it! Hope this can help ya!

ORIGINAL: EFhatchy

So 8 foot lanes would be fine for one, maybe two trucks? If I ever get anyone interested in running theirs then we could always expand the track.

Edits: pics never uploaded the first time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ca80570.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	1567978   Click image for larger version

Name:	to43104.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	340.7 KB
ID:	1567979   Click image for larger version

Name:	ot49365.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	1567980   Click image for larger version

Name:	oi15523.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	1567981   Click image for larger version

Name:	lx21579.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	1567982   Click image for larger version

Name:	md50818.jpg
Size:	312.1 KB
ID:	1567983   Click image for larger version

Name:	eg78068.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	1567984   Click image for larger version

Name:	nm43290.jpg
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	1567985  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ba49972.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	358.7 KB
ID:	1567986  
Old 02-21-2011, 07:11 PM
EFhatchy

How big is the total area of that track?
Old 02-22-2011, 04:36 AM
FahrtAutoRC

100 ft by 40 ft
Old 02-28-2011, 10:11 PM
EFhatchy

My trucks came Thursday. Box was huge and weighed almost 50 pounds. Took them to my buddy yesterday and bought some fuel and cranked on them for almost an hour and a half. Didn't hardly get them to sputter. Tinkered with them last night and got them both to sputter. After letting them sit by the heater all day I just got them both to fire off. I think the 2.5's carb is gummed up because it only fired dumping fuel into the carb. The 3.3 fired over after I cleared the cylinder of all the fuel we dumped in it the other day. Hopefully after some tuning tomorrow I'll be ripping around with them. How do Revos fair in the snow? I don't have a body yet so I assume to take it easy if I'm gonna be blasting through much snow at all.

Here's a pic of em. 3.3 on the left 2.5 on the right.

Came with TONS of parts. 2 sets of wheels and tires. One street one same as on the 2.5. Extra set of wheels. 4 pipes. Headers. Filters. Springs. Shocks. Steering knuckles. Cage parts. Bumpers. Steering arms. Tons of hardware. All for $300

Old 02-28-2011, 11:53 PM
tommygun32

Nice find. Hope you have loads of fun with them.

Can anybody post some plans or dimensions for a raised pit lane please?

Thanks