Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Need to learn about rechargable batteries

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Need to learn about rechargable batteries

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:27 PM
nitroholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to learn about rechargable batteries

for my jato,3 questions,how long after charging them fully do they last before having to be recharged? What charger will charge these(link) ? How long does it take to fully recharge them? Thanks,i'm extremely lost when it comes to this recharging,but i'm tired of buying throw aways.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=ML#tech
Old 03-04-2011, 08:35 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Need to learn about rechargable batteries

depends on charger
generally 1 hour to charge seeing the max you should charge a NiMh at is 1C(the rated capacity) which is 1200mah (aka 1.2Amps)
Old 03-04-2011, 08:42 PM
nitroholic

Hmm.I have some homework to do.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Moontan13

ORIGINAL: nitroholic

Hmm.I have some homework to do.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._manual(2).pdf

This is the manual for the charger I have. It explains most everything pretty well.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:06 PM
nitroholic

Ok let me check that out.Thanks.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:17 AM
DaveG55

This site has a TON of information on every kind of battery out there.
http://batteryuniversity.com/

But if you're just looking at rx or tx batteries then just find as large a capacity hump pack rx battery as you can find for the car and get an inexpensive nimh charger for it. The hump pack will outlast throw aways and the charger will do the work for you. As for the tx batterys, I just use AA rechargables and the cheap wallwart typy chargers you can get at nearly any store.

Now, if you are contemplating going to eletric rc's then it would be time to invest in a more expensive, versital charger.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:15 PM
nitroholic

Thanks,Dave,after a hump pack is fully charged,about how many tanks of fuel you think could be run through it,at ten to 13min a tank,before it becomes dangerous.Getting low.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:16 PM
snapper21

watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaSt_p0V6w0<br type="_moz" />
Old 03-05-2011, 01:55 PM
nitroholic

That's extremely helpfull,there's alot to it ,unlike the 7.2 i have (1200) for EZ start.Thanks.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:18 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 82 Likes on 75 Posts

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

depends on charger
generally 1 hour to charge seeing the max you should charge a NiMh at is 1C(the rated capacity) which is 1200mah (aka 1.2Amps)
Charging a NiMH that fast will shorten its life considerably. Fast charge, but hard on the battery pack. A better choice is around 200-300mA for several hours. The charger I use is from OFNA - it charges at 6v/200mA which would take about 6 hours to fully charge a 1200mAh pack. I use MaxAmps 1600 6v flat packs for my LST2's and I charge these for 8 hours. The packs are slightly warm to the touch and read 6.4-6.5v right off the charger. I am all about "slow and steady wins the race". I can run my 1600 packs in a 1/8th monster truck for over 3 hours on a single charge, easy.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:48 PM
nitroholic

When i completly discharge my 1200 - 7.2v,it takes 18 to 20 minutes,and it puts out just over 8v.It's been used more then a dirty women,for yrs,still holds a charge good.The charger is a Hobbico15min quik charger,battery both from tower.It's so old i can't find the charger anymore.I'll put some pics up later,you'll probably recognize it.It's probably been discontinued,it still has the original fuse in it.
My mistake it's tower power.1500 7.2
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26037.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1573799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34794.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1573800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97404.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1573801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey69435.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1573802  
Old 03-05-2011, 04:43 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: nitroholic

When i completly discharge my 1200 - 7.2v,it takes 18 to 20 minutes,and it puts out just over 8v.It's been used more then a dirty women,for yrs,still holds a charge good.The charger is a Hobbico15min quik charger,battery both from tower.It's so old i can't find the charger anymore.I'll put some pics up later,you'll probably recognize it.It's probably been discontinued,it still has the original fuse in it.
My mistake it's tower power.1500 7.2
I never discharge my NiMH packs completely. I run them down to about 50% and recharge. I read somewhere running batteries down lower than 50% of its amp hour rating will shorten its life and slowly it will stop charging to its peak amp hour rating. I might be wrong. Either way, I still would never charge a NiMH that fast.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:03 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

depends on charger
Charging a NiMH that fast will shorten its life considerably. Fast charge, but hard on the battery pack. A better choice is around 200-300mA for several hours. The charger I use is from OFNA - it charges at 6v/200mA which would take about 6 hours to fully charge a 1200mAh pack. I use MaxAmps 1600 6v flat packs for my LST2's and I charge these for 8 hours. The packs are slightly warm to the touch and read 6.4-6.5v right off the charger. I am all about ''slow and steady wins the race''. I can run my 1600 packs in a 1/8th monster truck for over 3 hours on a single charge, easy.
well I did say max
I'm not a huge fan of NiMh's
The few NiMh batteries I own I charge at 1C(it is also printed on the battery, or was till the label fell off) and not had any issues with their life span so far.
I prefer AA's in my nitros so I don't gotta worry about taking a battery pack out and charging. And seeing they last at least all season I've got no issues
Now my radios I slapped 3S lipos in those suckers seem to last forever
Old 03-05-2011, 07:44 PM
nitroholic

That's true,cause really,they do last awhile,then when you feel uncomfortable,they can be used as flashlight batteries.I was up in NY today,Home Depot and they were $11 something like that for,i forget like 20 batteries,maybe $14 i don't remember positivly,but that's a season easy.Rather then go thrugh the hassle and $ with chargers,and all that,i might just stay with throw away's.There were Energizer's and Duracell's to choose from,i personly preffer the bunny,enrgizer.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:25 AM
Moontan13

The thing I don't like about NiMh cells is they discharge by themselves, which makes them unsuitable for a flashlightI may need in a hurry. Many of them run at 1.2v-1.3v also. I use alkalines in anything I need to be reliable. As to stick pacs, ever since the 80's I was using an Artex peak charger, then later aPro-Tech. We'd run until the battery petered out, then fast-charge and go again. All those batteries still work, believe it or not, even an old Tamiya hump pack which came with my Grasshopper.

Now I'm wondering what I can use my (new) NiMh sticks for when Iswitch to LiPos.

OT: If you use a mini-maglite regularly, using NiMh cells will dim it slightly, but it greatly increases the time between bulb replacements.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:45 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Moontan13

The thing I don't like about NiMh cells is they discharge by themselves, which makes them unsuitable for a flashlight I may need in a hurry. Many of them run at 1.2v-1.3v also. I use alkalines in anything I need to be reliable. As to stick pacs, ever since the 80's I was using an Artex peak charger, then later a Pro-Tech. We'd run until the battery petered out, then fast-charge and go again. All those batteries still work, believe it or not, even an old Tamiya hump pack which came with my Grasshopper.

Now I'm wondering what I can use my (new) NiMh sticks for when I switch to LiPos.

OT: If you use a mini-maglite regularly, using NiMh cells will dim it slightly, but it greatly increases the time between bulb replacements.
Since I use NiMH 6v stick packs for my Rx packs, I just plan to check the voltage, and charge them the day before for however long they need to reach full charge. I also bring two 4-cell AA holders with a tray of new barreries should my 2 NiMH stick packs die out. Same with my Nicd Glow drivers.. Charge them the night before and I'm good to go. I am happy with my maxamps 1600mah packs.. they work well, and have a second charge jack on it. I dont even have to pull the battery out.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:55 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: Moontan13

The thing I don't like about NiMh cells is they discharge by themselves

EVERY battery discharges by themselves. Some have a higher discharge rate than others but they all do it.

Of course the bulbs last longer, the voltage is lower so there's less stress on the filimant. Run a higer voltage battery, if you could find one that fits, and the bulb will be brighter but life will be shorter