Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Controller Fan

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Spdfrk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Controller Fan

When installing a cooling fan on a speed controller, is it supposed to blow air down or away from the controller?
Old 04-19-2011, 06:30 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

Default RE: Controller Fan

down on the esc.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Shabbernigdo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

really? i though fans were most efficent when pulling air through rather then pushing it. Thats why all vehicles with radiators have puller setups rather then pusher.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:21 PM
K_B

If you look at this image, it shows the fan blowing down onto the ESC:

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/es...ler_1500px.jpg

I would assume it blows down since there's a higher volume of air above than in between the heatsink fins and it's easier to displace the hot air between the fins than draw air upwards from the edges through the tiny gaps between the fins; if that makes any sense. However, it may work both ways.

I think on full scale cars, radiator fans mounted on the back of the radiator are pullers because that's the direction the airflow is already going and it helps draw air in from the front side through the radiator. With crawlers, the air is pretty much stagnant.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Spdfrk

Crap, I've seen that picture a million times and never noticed the arrow on the fan... lol.. I'll go with that.... Thanks for the link..
Old 04-19-2011, 09:42 PM
ReaperGN

On full size cars the vehicle pushing through the air supplies enough air flow that you don't need a pusher. But if you need cooling power at low speeds your best bet is a pusher and puller.

On heat sinks pushing air through the fins is the best way to keep things cool. Pulling air away from them really does not produce enough flow.