Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Motor turn count vs. torque

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 02:52 PM
madmax8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor turn count vs. torque

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS"><span style="font-size: medium">Hello mall.. I'm new to this forum stuff. Took me a while to find where I can ask a ?. What is the dealwith motor turns ie. 55t, 65t, 100t and torque? Is there a kind of formula to figure torque? The reason I ask is that I bought a Maxstone8 with dual 540 high torque motors. MOA style. My brother bought one to. He is still stock. I'm not stock but not happy. Bought two Venom 50t motors. Not impressed. Why? Help me I'm loosing hair daily.....</span></span>
Old 04-20-2011, 03:50 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Motor turn count vs. torque

are you looking for more torque?

generally, higher turn motors=more torque.

with MOA crawlers, voltage is a factor as well. the max stone has a basic ESC that splits power to the motors. thus, if 1 motor can spin easier(ie, wheels slipping or in the air) then more voltage is needed to turn the other motor.

this is referred to as "clod stall" and is common with MOA crawlers.

upping the voltage can help this issue to a degree.

i have a redcat MOA crawler, with 100t motors. i run a 3s lipo(11.1v) in order to gain some wheel speed and torque.

gearing also is a factor. run a smaller pinion gear adds torque, but reduces speed.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:12 PM
madmax8

Thanx for your advice. I just ordered 11t pinions. I will try them and oh yeah I 'm looking for more torque. I'm running a 2s 5000mah lipo, it definatly makes a difference. I may try a 3s lipo next. How about esc?? I'm not finding them for MOA ( 2 motors).
Old 04-20-2011, 05:15 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: madmax8

Thanx for your advice. I just ordered 11t pinions. I will try them and oh yeah I 'm looking for more torque. I'm running a 2s 5000mah lipo, it definatly makes a difference. I may try a 3s lipo next. How about esc?? I'm not finding them for MOA ( 2 motors).
i have an outcry ESC. has and external bec, fan, its for duel motor and can be run on 3s lipo.
not familliar with you truck's esc and what voltage it can handle. 3s may fry it.
http://www.tgndistributing.com/outcr...n-and-bec.html
Old 04-30-2011, 11:19 PM
gohstwrighter

high the novac compiny makes good ESC's for moa but the best way to stop clod stal wood be to run two single ESC's on a Y harnis from your reciver and 2 bateries .
and as far as your question on the moters the larger the number on the same size moter the lower the RPM and higher the torque
most of the exceed trucks cone with 60t or 70t moters
the t stand for the number of times the wirer was wound in the moter more winedings are more resistint creating a larger magnitec feald giving you a stronger moter that is slower.i hope this helpsand sorry for anny bad spelling.</p>
Old 04-30-2011, 11:28 PM
gohstwrighter

sory i dident clarify 2 seperat ESC's one to each moter on sepriat bateries and the positave leed on the Y conector from one of the
esc  will have to be cut as to not shortcercut the reciver.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:21 PM
jsowens

An ESC doesn't have to be a "MOA ESC" to be able to run 2 motors. Tekin FXR's, Holmes Hobbies BR-XL's, CC Sidewinders and Mamba Max's are all compatible with MOA rigs. You can also run a MOA rig with just 1 ESC. Having 2 ESC's and 2 batteries is a fix for clod stall I've never heard of. Granted, I've never ran a 1/8 scale rig. Relocating weight, different gearing, more voltage, better motors, are all improvements for clod stall. If you're not liking the venom motors you bought, try them with the new pinions you ordered. If you still don't like them, possibly try a 3s lipo if your ESC can handle it. It would also help if you posted a picture of your rig so we can see what kind of setup you have since you say it's "not stock".