Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Nitroplanes 100cc yak 54?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:01 AM
Rollingreen8420

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitroplanes 100cc yak 54?

What do y'all think about this plane? Looks good to me for 399.99!
http://www.nitroplanes.com/90a224w-y...0cc-white.html
Old 03-08-2011, 10:09 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Nitroplanes 100cc yak 54?

I recently completed a 72" Nitro Planes Yak 54 and think it was a reasonably good plane and worth what I paid for it. I had one serious issue with it in that the gear mount was too far aft for a grass field. Fixed by changing to a carbon fiber that angled forward some. I was fortunate in that a guy at the field had bought it to replace his gear on his Nitro Models 81" Yak (the gear was too soft of aluminum) but it was too small. It fit mine very well and thus I saved half off by buying slightly used.

The stab had a half degree of positive that needed trimmed out.

Otherwise, the fit and finish were good and it flies good.

I think you should expect some likeliness to have to replace the landing gear and perhaps some other hardware... then compare the value.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:36 PM
SOLO_48
My Feedback: (8)

the problem with this cheap planes,they are not put together well,the for example slip stream,cheap bad construction,.....you get what you paid for
Old 03-08-2011, 03:05 PM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

Don't touch it. Buy a high quality 100cc and you will be much happier in the long run.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:22 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow at that price i suppose we will see some of them at fly N very soon.......
Old 03-09-2011, 05:54 AM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: krayzc-RCU

wow at that price i suppose we will see some of them at fly N very soon.......
I looked the Sukhoi over at Perry. It's about the same size as my 33% SD Models Yak. The wings where very light (this might be an issue), but the fuse/motorbox/gearblock was built very strong. The owner used medium CA on some of the formers. He pinned the firewall, and coated it with thinned epoxy. It had a DLE-111 on it, with hitec 5955's all around. The owner said it weighed 25lbs. He wanted $1000 for it BNF.

Oh, the covering is definitely China coat, and was fading on the wings.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

My buddy has bought most of the big Nitroplanes that are offered. He just finished the one you are looking at. That is one big plane and for $400 its a bargain. If you are new to these monsters please understand that you need to go over and inspect the airframes. You most likely will need a 2oz bottle of ca to reglue the rear end. Reglue any joints you can get to. And as stated fiberglass the engine mounts. These planes require the finesse that experienced flyers have acquired over years of building/flying/crashing. Structural failure is more common among giant scale, it just comes with the territory. Even a Carden can come apart in the air. If they ever get these back in http://www.nitroplanes.com/su50giscniga.html its a really nicely built H9 clone.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:45 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

so does the old rule " you get what you pay for " apply to this airfame ?

it looks good from the pictures, I'm sure eveyone really wants to know how does it stand up to the other name Brands
Old 04-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

Hi guys,

If you can wait a week or two, I hope to be finished with my NitroPlanes 100cc Yak54 by then.

I'll be writing up a mini review of this plane.

If you can't wait and need info now, then this is what my first impression/opinion is:

I'll wait until I fly it to give assessment of its flying qualities, but constriction wise; it's a little on the heavier built side.

Some things coming to mind are: definitely need to apply glue to whatever you can access, especially in the fuse. I'll add glue to whatever I can reach in the wings too.

Wing tube is a HONKING BIG piece of alum tube, 1.5 dia x .080t x 45.5L weighing in at 1 lb 9 oz[X(]

So far my completed (servos, wires, & linkages all in) left wing is at 3lb 8.25 oz and the right wing is 3lb 5.25oz

The alum gear is very soft alum and is a straight gear, not forward swept. I'll be adding diagonal wire bracing to make sure it doesn't deflect too much.

I'll be measuring the actual wing span and wing area as it just doesn't seem to be what the specs say.

I'll be using a DA100 on this build. I hope to get started with the fuse tonight or tomorrow night and get this thing finished as soon as I can.

This is probably not the plane for the hardcore 3D types but it may turn out to be a great sport flyer. To be fair I need to fly it first.

Note that my expectations may be a bit higher but I'll try to be fair in the review. I had just finished a 100cc Krill Yak55M for a friend and also just finished my Pilot 37% Edge 540 w/ DA120. But these planes are on totally different cost points than the Nitro Yak54

I'll post more when I get more done or answer questions if you've got any.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

OK, mini review and video is posted...but its on FG, look in the airframe & kits forum.

If these sites don't recipricate, I can post the review here too I guess. Just a bit of work and I'm lazy. hehe