Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Jack Bale P-61

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 12:50 PM
VoughtF4U
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jack Bale P-61

Has anyone built the P-61 from Jack Bale plans. Looks like it is a little smaller than the Marutaka P-61, but still calls for two .46.

Any advice?
Old 08-13-2003, 03:28 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jack Bale P-61

I have been thinking about this plane for a long time. I think that it will be a great flyer due to the huge relative wing area. Not sure about the actual numbers on the Bale plane, but I have been checking out the Don Smith design.

The DS plan is 99" wing span with 1526 sq" of wing area. This compares to a 100" P-38 that I am working on that is around 1250 sq". My guess is that with those kind of numbers, a 66" P-61 would be a sweetheart with a pair of good .40's. The Wing Mfg P-38 I built had a W/S of 70" & wing area of 675 sq". It was 9lbs, and flew very well on a pair of Magnum XL .40's. That was a 30oz/sq' wing loading. I'll just bet you can get that P-61 to come in at much less, say maybe 25oz/sq'.

I may have to put this litte beauty together as well. Let's see, umm....... I still have those Magnums...........................

Here is a link to scratch built 82" p-61. Good details on building the spoilers:
http://members.aol.com/aljoajo/rcb/bw.htm
Old 08-13-2003, 03:42 PM
VoughtF4U
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jack Bale P-61

Terry,

Thanks for the link. The P-61 on the webpage looks real good. I too am thinking about eventually building Don's P-61. The Ziroli is too big for me and I just like Don's plans a little better. I figured before I went all out on that though I better build the smaller one. I have two O.S. .46LA sitting around and figured they should be alright to try it out with. I am going to try and use a pair of Spring Airs I have sitting around also. The rest of the detailing will be pretty limited.

Thanks again for the website.
-Scott-
Old 08-14-2003, 04:06 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jack Bale P-61

Jack Bale has passed away. I am negotiating with his estate to get his molds and masters, we shall see. In the meanwhile, canopies and plastic parts(and many of his kits are based around very specific plastic moldings) are unavailable.
Beware of the plans pirates selling his stuff on ebay. Not only are they STEALING from a dead man's estate, they somehow neglect to mention that most of his designs canNOT be built without the plastic moldings.