Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Can you charge NiMh in series?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 06:42 AM
Zanek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you charge NiMh in series?

I was wondering if it was safe to charge NiMh batteries in series. Like instead of charging two 7 cell packs @ 4 amps separately, taking two hours, could I charge them both @ 4 amps, and wired together so that they are 14 cells? I was thinking of using the series adapter I use with my mamba monster ESC. Could I do this without damaging the batteries? I know that my charger is up to the job
Old 07-07-2011, 07:27 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Can you charge NiMh in series?

Sure you can do it, but can your charger handle 14 cell packs? Peak chargers work by detecting the capacity, then charging accordingly. If the charger is not designed to detect that much capacity, you will probably just false peak and end up with two partially charged batteries.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:34 AM
Zanek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Sure you can do it, but can your charger handle 14 cell packs? Peak chargers work by detecting the capacity, then charging accordingly. If the charger is not designed to detect that much capacity, you will probably just false peak and end up with two partially charged batteries.
Yes. It says on it 1-14 Nimh
<br type="_moz" />
Old 07-07-2011, 07:49 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, then yes, you can charge them in a series. Both packs would have to be the same capacity, with about the same charge. Keep an eye on the plug, a 4 amp charge rate can warm things up.