Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Getting into Racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 04:53 AM
zzip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting into Racing

I'm having a blast with my Rustler XL-5 and was thinking about getting into racing. There is a really great track near my place, but not open to the public for practicing or bashing. Pay to Race only.

So how do I get into racing? Do I just show up at the track, pay the fee {not a lot of money}, and hope for the best? Also, I need a transponder for my car if I race there. Will I have to get a specific transponder to correspond with the local tracks lap counting system?
Old 07-03-2011, 05:54 AM
futureboy1969

Default RE: Getting into Racing

Hey...I was just at a NJ track that was the same way.. Family Hobbies, maybe it's the same one??? But most places will let u practice for a fee, like 5 or 10 bucks(for the day), during the week. And, most tracks have transponders for rent. ...And any bashing skills u have won't help...run n on a track is alot different. u need to stay in the lines, GO SLOW,,, learn the track, practice jumping ,using trottle and brake in the air...for control...and have a good lot of extra parts...hope this helps
Old 07-03-2011, 08:49 AM
zzip

Talk about a small world, yes it is Family Hobbies! The guy who owns it and I belong to the same flying club. Ron's got alot of time and money into that track, so I can understand why he doesn't want people bashing around on it.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:06 PM
futureboy1969

Hey Zipp....yeah small world. I usauly race in Audobon Pa. But a few of my buddies want to try it...So I raced my buggy there. Linda and her hubby.treat that track there' baby...
I probly won't go there again ..but it's a nice track.. U should try to make it down to the Hobby Hut once. this season. the track is very forgiving. and a blast to race on and u can come andpractice any time.

http://youtu.be/MmGU4PYZ5Hc

here's my buddies and i race n a few weeks ago. in truggy class
Old 07-03-2011, 04:32 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Not to sound like a jerk but you might want to buy a better RC. The rustler will get annihilated on a track by even the cheapest race bred RC.
Rustlers fine for screwing around, but on a track its a whole different ball game. Just look at vids of races
Old 07-03-2011, 05:12 PM
FahrtAutoRC

I second this, a Rusty is a great basher/beginner ride but to compete with it on the track youll dump three times the price of the truck just to be competitive. Not being a jerk either, but reality hurts. Trust me, ANY Traxxas is not that great on the track. Take it from the guy who bought a brand new Slash 4X4, spent that much again and then some on upgrades, and now I am spending money fixing weak points. Apparently Castle Creations is racial against tire beads, and now my center diff is toast after TQ and runnin hard in the mains, until the last minute grrrr

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Not to sound like a jerk but you might want to buy a better RC. The rustler will get annihilated on a track by even the cheapest race bred RC.
Rustlers fine for screwing around, but on a track its a whole different ball game. Just look at vids of races
Old 07-03-2011, 05:39 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: futureboy1969

Hey Zipp....yeah small world. I usauly race in Audobon Pa. But a few of my buddies want to try it...So I raced my buggy there. Linda and her hubby.treat that track there' baby...
I probly won't go there again ..but it's a nice track.. U should try to make it down to the Hobby Hut once. this season. the track is very forgiving. and a blast to race on and u can come andpractice any time.

http://youtu.be/MmGU4PYZ5Hc

here's my buddies and i race n a few weeks ago. in truggy class
hey i was just wondering, is hobby hut in eagleville? and i agree with the above....traxxas on the track is crap, but bashing it is fine.
<br type="_moz" />
Old 07-03-2011, 05:40 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

They'll let him race his Rustler in the sportsman class if they haveo ne. It's good enough to get his feet wet. There are usually pretty cool guys at the track that'll let you take some laps with their cars after you've proven that you can make a lap without smashing things into oblivion, too, so you can figure out what class you like before you want to jump into it hardcore.

Basically, bring your charger, a few batteries if you're still running NiMh/NiCd, a cooler with a sandwich or two and some drinks (especially for day races during the summer...that sun can get BRUTAL).

Racing is a rewarding self-improvement exercise, use it[8D]
Old 07-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Chucksolo69

Once again TBJ tells it like it is and encourages a newbie to do the best with what he has instead of putting down him or his equipment. Great advice TBJ. That's why this is my favorite forum.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:20 AM
futureboy1969

Now I do agree that the Rustler isn't the greatest racer....But to say that Traxxas trucks r not the way to go for racing is going to far....I've won plenty of trophys with my Revo.
And since u brought up the Slash 4x4, Here's the proof of how well my slash ran a few weeks ago (with just a few hopups)......I took home 1st place. and this is a track I never raced on b 4. and this isn't my only 1st place i took.
the slash 4x4 is one of or might b the toughest trucks i own...and yes I have a few Losi trucks too...But as long as u enjoy racing ..it's not really about the truck..
take a look at this...

http://youtu.be/o2eI-uwoV8Q
Old 07-04-2011, 11:34 AM
airbrushNC
My Feedback: (9)

Just try to have fun!  Be there to learn how to race, how to turn marshal (righting cars). Concentrate on keeping a good solid line.  The fastest dosn't mean winner. Keep smooth. Get a setup sheet and use it!  Everyone has there first time, we all have some noobish ways.<div>
</div><div>
</div><div>  Of topic, the Slash has killed everything here, and even stranger the OFNA's have been pushing back real hard.  I don't know how that fits into the grand scheme of racing. It may even fall under the what the local shop sells will race rule. </div>
Old 07-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

I dont see why they wouldnt let you run in the bring what you brought class but if you really want to get into racing a b4 is a pretty competitive buggy for a small price. If you keep an eye out you should be able to scope a used one for a little over half off new price. Race the rustler but your going to want to upgrade quick.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:58 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

But as long as u enjoy racing ..it's not really about the truck..
Not sure anything else needs to be said.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:29 AM
FahrtAutoRC

I am not putting Traxxas down, and my slash 4X4 is my baby, but I am stating that for racing there are other companies that just seem to have it easier than Traxxas. And that is great, congrats for you bu MT's are a much different class altogether, and while your Slash might do great here and there, there are other tracks that simply host faster drivers. Trust me, if you are ever in Ohio come race at Medina RC Raceway. Classic RC Raceway used to host the fastest guys around until shut down and everyone now races Medina. There is no hope beating anyone but other noobies here unless you have a fair amount of experience and deep pockets. I am not talking down to anyone or about anything, just stating.

Now I do agree that the Rustler isn't the greatest racer....But to say that Traxxas trucks r not the way to go for racing is going to far....I've won plenty of trophys with my Revo.
And since u brought up the Slash 4x4, Here's the proof of how well my slash ran a few weeks ago (with just a few hopups)......I took home 1st place. and this is a track I never raced on b 4. and this isn't my only 1st place i took.
the slash 4x4 is one of or might b the toughest trucks i own...and yes I have a few Losi trucks too...But as long as u enjoy racing ..it's not really about the truck..
take a look at this...

http://youtu.be/o2eI-uwoV8Q
Old 07-05-2011, 08:51 AM
sloppyG

TBJ speaks the truth

go try it out, hopefully they'll have house transponders you can borrow or rent (you'll need to cut a hole in your body to hold it in if they have rentals)

a rustler while not ideal, will get around a track and in a novice type class it's not about the RC anyways, it's mainly about not crashing.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

...And any bashing skills u have won't help...run n on a track is alot different. u need to stay in the lines, GO SLOW,,, learn the track, practice jumping ,using trottle and brake in the air...for control...
+1, I started practicing on a track (not even racing) about a month ago and I was horrible. Get used to the track with the Rustler and then you can figure out what you want to race and maybe trade for something else. For most people, its all about the fun anyway.