Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

G.P. Pitts L- brackets

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

G.P. Pitts L- brackets

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 12:49 PM
gare
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G.P. Pitts L- brackets

If anyone is waiting on a new batch of L- brackets, they're back ordered but expected by end of month. Called this morning to check on the ones they promised me. I'm just antsy to see the difference. If that radius is larger, like Bill has described, that should certainly fix the problem. Mine are very thin at the 90.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:29 PM
bigflyguy
My Feedback: (4)

Hmmm... Very interesting. I was told 2 weeks ago it would be 1-2 weeks (now) before they would be in stock and shipping.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:46 PM
RonM

I was told shipping by the end of the month.

Quite the back-order for an item there was "no problem" with?
hmmm?

Ronm
Old 08-19-2003, 10:02 PM
rfw1953
My Feedback: (2)

Default What?

Didn't know they had a solution for this potential concern. How did you guys order them. Just email or call G.P. or Tower for the parts? I am assembling my second Pitts and would like to get this fix if you have any additional info would appreciate. Did they come up with a fix for all or just the 90 degree brackets?
Old 08-19-2003, 10:05 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the 1/3 scale Pitts you are refering to?

Dan
Old 08-20-2003, 12:27 AM
RonM

Yes, the 1/3 Pitts.
Apparently, the first run had the radius to tight. The later version is supposed to have a gentler radius.

I just e-mailed GP support, and they said they would send replacements as soon as they were in. (Sept.)

Ronm
Old 08-20-2003, 01:37 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, thanks.

I have the updated version and the brackets have a good radius. However, the ones that go on the tail are formed according to the instructions, but incorrect as far as good aircraft practice. Example, on the horizonal stab the bracket is installed such that it loops back over itself. Under load this bracket would attempt to turn around by itself. I realize these are for looks only. If this is the case they should be installed correctly. I straightened mine out and reformed them to the correct angle. Look at any 1:1 at how they are installed for verification.

Dan
Old 08-20-2003, 03:23 AM
RonM

Dan:
I think the wires on the stab are functional. You should change them to work properly as you see fit.

Ronm
Old 08-21-2003, 01:03 AM
doctorgo
My Feedback: (5)

Default Pitts L-brackets

You don't have to wait for replacement brackets for your 1/3 Pitts from GP. Get to your favorite hardware store and get some National Hardware shelf bracket clips. Cut off the tang from one leg of the "U" and the flange from the other, spread it open to the needed angle, and there you have it! The holes are already in the bracket and at the proper location. These clips are 10% thicker and 50% wider and they're "soft" steel so will not fracture like the GP brackets.

Regards,
DrGO
Old 09-02-2003, 10:17 PM
bigflyguy
My Feedback: (4)

Tower's web site is now showing late September availability for the replacement brackets. I was told a month ago that I would have them in 1-2 weeks. Then I was told 2 more weeks, now another month! Meanwhile my Pitts just sits, ready to go except for a pair of .50 brackets. Where is this legendary customer service from Great Planes I have heard so much about?!? I think it stinks!

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDTM7&P=Z